It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: It could just happen

Post by AndyKK »

I seem to have a good doctor who actually cares, I talked to him about the expensive medicine to see if there is any alternative to lower the price. He said "NO", but 2 days I will be finished with that particular medicine, due to completing 14 days.
Then he talked about the next course of medicine he will administer, he says it's a course that is pretty intense. I have no idea of cost. You kind of get information has the treatment progress.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I received a email from the British Embersy this morning. I have asked a few questions, but one was about returning to the UK, you can see the link below. There's plenty of options to look at.

Emergency financial assistance abroad
The FCDO cannot provide financial assistance or pay your bills. If you need financial support, contact your:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/your-financ ... nce-abroad
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:08 am I received a email from the British Embersy this morning. I have asked a few questions, but one was about returning to the UK, you can see the link below. There's plenty of options to look at.

The FCDO cannot provide financial assistance or pay your bills. If you need financial support, contact your:

BUT they can send ya home

Returning to the UK: emergency loans for repatriation
In very exceptional circumstances, the FCDO may be able to provide an emergency loan to help you return to the UK. You should try all other options before we can consider this.

An emergency loan for repatriation:

is only considered if you are destitute and you have no assets or support from friends, families and charities
is discretionary: a lack of other ways to return home does not mean that the FCDO will automatically offer a loan
would only cover basic costs, for example the cheapest one-way ticket to the UK
same as the states
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 am BUT they can send ya home

In very exceptional circumstances, the FCDO may be able to provide an emergency loan to help you return to the UK. You should try all other options before we can consider this.

is only considered if you are destitute and you have no assets or support from friends, families and charities
is discretionary: a lack of other ways to return home does not mean that the FCDO will automatically offer a loan
same as the states
I think any realistic persons reads that as a big No.

A big No, unless you tick all the boxes and the ambassador woke up feeling like today's the greatest day in of the century.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:24 am

sqßame as the states

A big No, unless you tick all the boxes and the ambassador woke up feeling like today's the greatest day in of the century.
Could not agree with you more, it you look at all the options that they have stated on the list, you will go through this avenue first, and that could take sometime if you are to receive correspondence from them. So basically the British Embassy is a last resort. They also talk about a lone, to be paid back in 6 months! That's a large hurdle, how do you pay the loan back in a short time if you don't have the money?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:30 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:24 am

sqßame as the states

Could not agree with you more, it you look at all the options that they have stated on the list, you will go through this avenue first, and that could take sometime if you are to receive correspondence from them. So basically the British Embassy is a last resort. They also talk about a lone, to be paid back in 6 months! That's a large hurdle, how do you pay the loan back in a short time if you don't have the money?
It's not so much for people with no money as it is for people that can't access their money right now.

I have used it in the past when in hospital, I had the money but could not access it due to my situation. Embassy sorted everything out including sending an impartial doctor and a lawyer to the hospital to make sure they were not inflating prices.

When I was out of the hospital I payed them back, easy as that.

Disclaimer: it was not a UK embassy but similar country.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I think the US ensures that you try hard to repay your loan by keeping your passport upon your return and refusing to issue you a new one after the loan has been repayed. The UK might do the same?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:08 am I received a email from the British Embersy this morning. I have asked a few questions, but one was about returning to the UK, you can see the link below. There's plenty of options to look at.

A mninor detail given the scale of the situation but I couldn't help but note that they've yet to update 'Her Majesty's Passport Service'.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Alex wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:41 pm I think the US ensures that you try hard to repay your loan by keeping your passport upon your return and refusing to issue you a new one after the loan has been repayed. The UK might do the same?
The website mentions that FCDO will take your passport and give you an Emergency Travel Document
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:22 pm
Alex wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:41 pm I think the US ensures that you try hard to repay your loan by keeping your passport upon your return and refusing to issue you a new one after the loan has been repayed. The UK might do the same?
The website mentions that FCDO will take your passport and give you an Emergency Travel Document
That seems fair enough, they’re safeguarding themselves against the possibility of piss takers abusing the service by taking off abroad again before they’ve paid for their repatriation (and possibly needing bailing out again)
Locked Previous topicNext topic