News from the past

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: News from the past

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:55 am I very much suspect that there are a lot of unlicensed guns still around out there.
Very likely buried. Why? Because of the civil war, and because I have never read anything remotely convincing that says otherwise.
Well you couldn't have looked very hard. I have friends who worked on the very successful European Union's Assistance on Curbing Small Arms and Light Weapons. There is plenty of documentation out there, and the fact that gun crime is at a fraction of the levels it was in the mid-90s should be apparent to most.

http://www.eu-asac.org/

http://www.eu-asac.org/programme/weapon ... uction.php

See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Ok, I think I've waited long enough for Bingham's reply. Here's what his 10 year old link says they managed to get rid of way back then. And by a group who were self promoting what a good job they did to justify their EU budget.

From Binghams 2006/ 2007 link above

"An Overview of the EU ASAC Project

EU ASAC (European Union Assistance on Curbing Small Arms and light weapons in Cambodia) was set up under European Union Council Decision 1999/730/CFSP of 15 November 1999 and started operations in April 2000. For more than six years EU ASAC assisted the Royal Cambodian Government by:

strengthening the legal framework by assisting in the development of a new Law on Weapons and Ammunition (see Arms Law);
stimulating the voluntary handover of weapons illegally held by the civilian population through weapons for development projects (see Voluntary Weapons Collection);
registering and securely storing all the Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) of the Ministry of National Defence (see Registration and Safe Storage);
destroying illegal and surplus weapons in public Flames of Peace ceremonies (see Weapons Destructions); and stimulating public awareness on the dangers of SALW in the country (see Public Awareness).
By 30 June 2006 EU ASAC had achieved all the goals laid out in Council Decision 1999/730/CFSP and was credited with assisting to make Cambodia a safer country. Therefore all project activities were ended on 30 June 2006 and the project was closed.

Evaluation of EU ASAC activities 2000 - 2006

"In May and June 2006 a full external evaluation of EU ASAC was carried out at the instruction of the European Commission. The report of the evaluation is available by following this link (PDF 1.62 MB). The detailed Evaluation Report summarises the methodology and the achievements of EU ASAC and makes recommendations based on the Lessons Learned from the project. As such it is an important statement on EU ASAC as a major SALW field project carried out for over six years. The evaluators also undertook field research speaking to communities where EU ASAC had worked. The findings are laid out in a separate Confirmatory SALW Perception Survey (PDF 739 KB).

EU ASAC helped destroy over 142,000 weapons in Cambodia

The Cambodian Government began destroying surplus and illegal weapons in May 1999. In April 2001 EU ASAC started giving financial and technical assistance to enable the policy of destroying weapons to be continued through public Flames of Peace ceremonies. In all EU ASAC assisted in the destruction of over 142,000 weapons. The Cambodian Government marked the official ending of the co-operation with EU ASAC with a National Flame of Peace ceremony in Kandal Province on 20 June 2006. Prime Minister HE presided and over 10,000 people attended the ceremony. As at 30 June 2006 over 198,000 weapons had been destroyed by the Cambodian Government since the first ceremony in May 1999. For details of all the destruction ceremonies see Destruction Table.

That's " over 142,000" weapons. Or the CPP's own estimates of "over 198,000"

And the numbers of privately owned firearms from my 2015/ 16 link above.

"273,000 - 600,000"

That's quite a discrepancy even when comparing the lower estimate.

And before I get posters saying they are pulling numbers out of their ass.
Here is the list of references:

The figures all come from a University of Sydney project called Gunpolicy.org.

"
About GunPolicy.org.

With more than 200,000 pages of news, data and comparative charts, and visited by 1.5 million uniquely identifiable users per year, GunPolicy.org is the world's most comprehensive and accessible Web source for published evidence on armed violence, firearm law and gun control.

GunPolicy.org is hosted by the Sydney School of Public Health, the University of Sydney. The School provides internationally recognised leadership in public health by advancing and disseminating knowledge — in this case, supporting global efforts to prevent gun injury.

With its partners and contributors, GunPolicy.org promotes the public health model of firearm injury prevention, as adopted by the World Health Organisation's Global Campaign for Violence Prevention and the United Nations Programme of Action on small arms. You are welcome to use any information from this web site, providing you acknowledge its source as 'GunPolicy.org'

http://www.gunpolicy.org/about
See crook!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:14 am Ok, I think I've waited long enough for Bingham's reply. Here's what his 10 year old link says they managed to get rid of way back then. And by a group who were self promoting what a good job they did to justify their EU budget.

It's a ten-year-old link because the program ended in 2006. You could of course find other links if you had any initiative, but why bother when all you are interested in is disparaging other's work?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:08 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:14 am Ok, I think I've waited long enough for Bingham's reply. Here's what his 10 year old link says they managed to get rid of way back then. And by a group who were self promoting what a good job they did to justify their EU budget.

It's a ten-year-old link because the program ended in 2006. You could of course find other links if you had any initiative, but why bother when all you are interested in is disparaging other's work?
I presented my case for, and you've presented, what i consider to be, a much weaker case against. The onus is on you to present further evidence to support your case.

Btw, I don't want there to be lots of guns out there any more than the majority of people living here do, but i think it's important to be aware of them. It's just something that I've been pondering having read the boards over the last few years, and did some reasearch on, as presented above. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

One more point in this is that a lot of illegal gun trading has been going on in Cambodia. More so in recent​ years apparently.
I would imagine the recent bust in Thailand of the high ranking Cambodian military officer is only the tip of the iceberg.
People seem to entirely forget that the country is run by gangsters.
See crook!!!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

No offence, Alonzo, but for a country 'run by gangsters' as you put it, it's pretty bloody safe, and perhaps we should be positive about that.

A quick trip to SA will show you what real gangsters are like, and if we really want global gangsters, look no further than the US and their poodles, the UK/Australia.

Save a fox, feed a Tory to the dogs.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

well, isn't that who normally has the guns?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The foxes?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:45 am Image
That karaoke grenade thing that I posted about was from 2006/7 I think. I do hope it's there.
Been loving reading the old reports. Cheers
See crook!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm I presented my case for, and you've presented, what i consider to be, a much weaker case against. The onus is on you to present further evidence to support your case.
You haven't presented anything except your opinion.
AlonzoPartriz wrote:And the numbers of privately owned firearms from my 2015/ 16 link above.
The link to Gunpolicy.org? Their information on estimates on numbers of guns in Cambodia comes from studies published in 2006/7, compiled from earlier data.
It's just something that I've been pondering having read the boards over the last few years, and did some reasearch on, as presented above. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.
Sure, that's why you were completely unaware of the EU Small Arms and Light Weapons, or other similar programs like JSAC's (Japanese Assistance Team for Small Arms Reduction in Cambodia). Your reasearch (sic) probably consisted of you spending 5 minutes this afternoon trying to find anything that would back up your preformed opinion. 8-)

One more point in this is that a lot of illegal gun trading has been going on in Cambodia. More so in recent​ years apparently.
I would imagine the recent bust in Thailand of the high ranking Cambodian military officer is only the tip of the iceberg.
That was the only report of gun-smuggling into Thailand in a long time. The rest of what you said is pure opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of guns still around, but a fraction of what there was before. Every farmer had an AK in 2000, but not now. The fact that the price of handguns is so high now suggests that they are in short supply.

Fresh from the farm.

https://www.jics.or.jp/jsac/newsEN.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic