News from the past

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: News from the past

Post by Username Taken »

"Wat Botum isn't that far from the Royal Palace."

Correct, but the Palace is quite a walk/run to Aeon Mall.

Meet to kill ran down Mao Tse Tong which then becomes Sothearos Blvd. (Not Sisowath).
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:47 am "Wat Botum isn't that far from the Royal Palace."

Meet to kill ran down Mao Tse Tong which then becomes Sothearos Blvd. (Not Sisowath).
So your saying he was caught running south on Sothearos?

EDIT, he was headed north as there is no south on Sothearos. It runs north from MTT.
So I was right, he was running in the direction of the Royal Palace. He just hadn't got there yet. It's a direct route from the Caltex on Monivong to Wat Botum / Royal Palace. I wonder why he didn't take the side roads?

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.550695 ... GFyaxgBIAE
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

No, he would have been running north.

Where MST meets Norodom, when you cross the intersection MST becomes Sothearos.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You've lost me.

Are you attempting to speculate that he was running from the Caltex on Monivong in the (general) direction of the Royal Palace. So therefore he must have been heading for the Bodyguards Unit, a further 1.5 kilometers from where he was picked up.
In that case, we could further speculate that he was headed for the Russian Embassy with plans of seeking asylum.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:24 pm You've lost me.

Are you attempting to speculate that he was running from the Caltex on Monivong in the (general) direction of the Royal Palace. So therefore he must have been heading for the Bodyguards Unit, a further 1.5 kilometers from where he was picked up.
In that case, we could further speculate that he was headed for the Russian Embassy with plans of seeking asylum.
I don't think I've lost you at all, I just don't think you like the speculation. What about those side streets then? Why iyo, didn't he take them? Surely they offered him more cover? Or do you think it would be more dangerous?
He seemed to be running around like a complete loon in the open.
Waiting for his mate to pick him up. Lol
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I would speculate that he was merely a country bumpkin. He didn't take the side streets because he would have got lost. He wasn't running to try to escape, he was trying to catch up with his 'sponsor' on the motorbike which he expected would be waiting outside Starmart for him. </speculation>
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm I would speculate that he was merely a country bumpkin. He didn't take the side streets because he would have got lost. He wasn't running to try to escape, he was trying to catch up with his 'sponsor' on the motorbike which he expected would be waiting outside Starmart for him. </speculation>
Yeah, last time he was probably in PP was 1975. It's changed a bit.
He may also of planned climbing one of those big trees he remembered... </speculation>
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:47 am "Wat Botum isn't that far from the Royal Palace."

This is where Meet Kill started from (Caltex on MV) and this is where he was caught according to you. On Sothearos, outside Aeon.

This is how far he still had to run to make it to Wat Botum if he had been instructed to go there. I would have imagined they would have given him a back up plan if something happened to his escape driver. Then again, maybe he knew that's where the bike was headed.

As you can see, if he was going to Wat Botum, he had already made it half way.
He just had another 1.3 klm, on top of the 1.3 he had already run.

Who knows where he was going?

It is a possibility, and I wouldn't put it past CPP arrogance. The ultimate threat - to shoot someone in the head then have them run to the exact same place where the purpetrators of a grenade attack, which killed and wounded men women and children, at an opposition rally ran to. Sends quite a message.

However, in the video footage it doesn't look like it was intended he got there, whatever they told him. Who really knows, but the perps.

I wonder if they had a bet on how far he managed to get. Knowing full well the escape driver wouldn't be there at Caltex, and in which direction and place he would most likely run. Live traffic cam.

Anyhow, just something that I speculated about at the time.

It may of course have been SR, as the PM seemed to speculate at the time.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

I found this interesting as it proves two things often played down by Cambodian long term expats.
1 they like to gang up on people
2 they​ like to use iron bars when attacking in foresaid group.

Glad to see they do it to each other as well as lone drunk tourists.

From 2015

Tuk-Tuk Groups Clash With Metal Pipes, Chains

Two rival groups of tuk-tuk drivers clashed Monday evening in front of Phnom Penh’s railway station in Daun Penh district, beating each other with metal pipes and chains over a dispute regarding passengers, police said Tuesday

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ins-79047/
See crook!!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic