Father and Child Killed in Ratanakkiri Hit and Run

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Father and Child Killed in Ratanakkiri Hit and Run

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News. (Ratanakkiri) On 15 August 2022, a father and his child on a motorbike died instantly, after they were hit from behind by a luxury car driving at high speed. The two were struck by the car while turning left without looking.

The accident happened at 1:10 pm on National Road 78 along Kilometer 73-74 by Village 3, Sre Angkor Commune, Kon Mom District, Rattanakiri Province. The car is a 2022 black Ford (Cambodia PNR-8696), which was driving in the direction of Phnom Penh to Ratanakkiri.

The driver immediately fled the scene of the accident, but ran away on foot, leaving his car behind. The deceased victims were a 34 year old farmer, Hing Sivon from Ratanakkiri Province, and his 5-year-old son.
Police are looking to contact the car driver.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Father and Child Killed in Ratanakkiri Hit and Run

Post by Kammekor »

RIP

That stretch of road is a dangerous one. Cars speeding while ox carts use the road too and crossing cows and goats use it, and motorcycles winding in between...

But ..with a personalized plate like that the search should be over soon....
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:33 pm Image
Cambodia News. (Ratanakkiri) On 15 August 2022, a father and his child on a motorbike died instantly, after they were hit from behind by a luxury car driving at high speed. The two were struck by the car while turning left without looking.

The accident happened at 1:10 pm on National Road 78 along Kilometer 73-74 by Village 3, Sre Angkor Commune, Kon Mom District, Rattanakiri Province. The car is a 2022 black Ford (Cambodia PNR-8696), which was driving in the direction of Phnom Penh to Ratanakkiri.

The driver immediately fled the scene of the accident, but ran away on foot, leaving his car behind. The deceased victims were a 34 year old farmer, Hing Sivon from Ratanakkiri Province, and his 5-year-old son.
Police are looking to contact the car driver.
The car likely wasn't at fault, but legging it is probably better than potentially getting lynched

Turning abruptly without looking has to cause a huge percentage of RTA's in Cambodia
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:39 pm
The car likely wasn't at fault, but legging it is probably better than potentially getting lynched

Turning abruptly without looking has to cause a huge percentage of RTA's in Cambodia
Seems a deserted stretch of road to me, well outside of the town of Kon Moum.
It's like a default modus operandi now, causing a serious accident and then just fuck off leaving all behind.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Rearview mirrors and turning signals should be introduced to Cambodia sooner than later.

RIP
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:46 pm Rearview mirrors and turning signals should be introduced to Cambodia sooner than later.

RIP
Mirrors are compulsory on bikes here, same as helmets, but sadly the majority of Moto riders seem to consider both unnecessary luxuries.

I almost had a traffic accident a few years back, where two young boys (approx 12 years old) on a Moto pulled out from the verge and immediately swing left handed (never looked) across in front of me. I had noticed them and thinking they might emerge into the road, pulled well out to pass them, but then came the sudden left hand turn, I was doing about 30 kph tops, but they were so close I stamped on the brake, swerved and only just scraped past the front wheel of their bike. I was well past them when it sunk in how close a shave it had been, and I was well pissed off.
The thing is, there was quite a few bystanders and some light traffic at the time and I later wondered what would have occurred if I’d hit them? They were in the wrong, but with the language barrier I could imagine any attempt to explain that would be pointless, demands for compensation and most probably hostility would ensue.
I kind of get why the drivers scarper from accidents.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Off topic, but since when was a Ford Ranger a luxury car?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 pm Off topic, but since when was a Ford Ranger a luxury car?
I am sitting here and wondering the same thing.

And as I currently own a black 2019 Ford Ranger I feel for the family and family menbers on the bike hit by the car. It is 2,5 tons empty. Driving cars like that requires special attention to the softer users on the road. And they are not good cars ( I know it is a pick up) for speeding. When passing 110 km/h it tends to start dancing a bit all over the road when it is empty.

I hit a deer with mine 3 months ago. It was messy.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

How do they know the moto turned left when the car driver has run away
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:00 pm How do they know the moto turned left when the car driver has run away
That's a good 1uestion, I couldn't deduct much from the photos.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic