Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Freightdog »

We each of us have thoughts and opinions on any number, and all manner of topics. Where there is a strong attachment to, and involvement in a topic, it is probably natural that our opinions be equally strong. As professionals within a field, opinions are qualified by knowledge and experience, and highly motivated.

I was taught from a young age to at least try to consider another person’s point of view. Not necessarily to accept it, but by understanding their position, it helps to clarify one’s own thoughts and opinions.

But at what point do people’s opinions stray from being just a point of view into being bigotry?
There have been a few discussions recently where some opinions expressed were quite clearly highly prejudicial towards one particular group. In particular, a debate in which people’s orientation was questioned, and where are at least 2 well established posters whose life and lifestyle were right in the crosshairs of the very negative and prejudiced opinions expressed by another contributor.
When this prejudice is extended to suggest that people of a particular persuasion may be directly influencing children, you can almost hear the cogs moving to next infer that any homosexual is then a paedo, and any other such rubbish.
Basically, the uneducated bollox echoed in the worst of the previous century.
I’m not particularly thin skinned, but my cross-section of friends and colleagues covers many a race, creed, colour and orientation.

What often comes across, though, is a very dismissive and ill informed standpoint bordering on playground mentality. One born of emotion and prejudice with little regard for fact or room for any other point of view.

Thoughts?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:04 pm
But at what point do people’s opinions stray from being just a point of view into being bigotry?
There have been a few discussions recently where some opinions expressed were quite clearly highly prejudicial towards one particular group. In particular, a debate in which people’s orientation was questioned, and where are at least 2 well established posters whose life and lifestyle were right in the crosshairs of the very negative and prejudiced opinions expressed by another contributor.
When this prejudice is extended to suggest that people of a particular persuasion may be directly influencing children, you can almost hear the cogs moving to next infer that any homosexual is then a paedo, and any other such rubbish.
Maybe I'm not the sharpest knive in the kitchen but I think if you want to start a useful discussion you should at least refer to the threads, so we are all on the same page when the discussion starts.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Sorry, couldn't be bothered quoting the whole post...anyhoo...bigotry purely in itself is not wrong, and its 'wrongness' is completely contextual, like any so-called 'human rights'. What passes for a bigoted, homophobic slur in the UK is quite acceptable in everyday speech in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan. Even here in Cambodia it is normal amongst the locals to make what we would consider racist remarks about Chinese, Vietnamese, and Africans, without anyone calling them out on it. Now we, as well brought up, highly moral, liberal Westerners, will say they are all wrong and should change their ways but that ain't gonna happen. If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee - i other words if you don't like it, just walk away. My personal opinion is that the whole woke LGBTYQZX thing is....but you don't need to know what I think, do you. But I guarantee I am in a silent majority ..
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I never thought much about the woke movement, if someone identifies as this or that it's fine, they want to be called he/she/it whatever it's perfectly fine just let me know and I will adjust. It's just basic respect the way I see it.

But, I don't like how woke content is being forced into every TV and movie production there is. If the script was written like that fine, but adding woke content to productions just for the sake of it takes a toll on the quality of the production IMO.

Just a pet peeve of mine, Hollywood's woke hype that is.

And no it's not very important, I wouldn't sign a name list to stop it or anything but it's nice to have something to complain about.

So if anyone wonders why I might sometimes be lashing out on the woke movement it's because of Netflix and not because of anyone's personal feelings about their body or what not. I should probably refrain from doing this though as I realize nobody except me will understand where I'm coming from.

Now time for beer!

:beer3:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

It's a web forum. It's main purpose is to spew out shit we probably wouldn't say in general company - and a person's persona or avatar online may not well reflect the person irl
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:11 pm and a person's persona or avatar online may not well reflect the person irl
I like to think some of you are represented accurately by your avatar. John B comes to mind.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:05 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:11 pm and a person's persona or avatar online may not well reflect the person irl
I like to think some of you are represented accurately by your avatar. John B comes to mind.
I would not mind if you showed up to a date looking like your avatar.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

truffledog wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:08 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:05 pm
I would not mind if you showed up to a date looking like your avatar.
Sorry, I'm taken.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm I never thought much about the woke movement, if someone identifies as this or that it's fine, they want to be called he/she/it whatever it's perfectly fine just let me know and I will adjust. It's just basic respect the way I see it.

But,
I love you, but.....
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm I never thought much about the woke movement, if someone identifies as this or that it's fine, they want to be called he/she/it whatever it's perfectly fine just let me know and I will adjust. It's just basic respect the way I see it.

But,
I love you, but.....
I love you, but... I don't need to talk about you in every conversation I have.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic