Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Big Daikon »

hdgh29 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:24 am
Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:17 pm A discussion about opinions and bigotry winds up talking about ladyboys. Nice one, boys!
Why not? Its a discussion forum and the rules don't say you have to stick to the topic. As they say, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Actually, discussions that go too far off topic can be a problem. I can see a connection to opinions, bigotry, ladyboys and assholes.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:12 pm The term Woke has been in use since the 1970's, by African Americans to convey a realisation of their status in US society, and how they should react to oppression. The phrase was first used in a 1971 play by American playwright Barry Beckham titled Garvey Lives!, in which he wrote: “I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr Garvey done woke me up, I’m gon’ stay woke. And I’m gon’ help him wake up other black folk.” Referring to the activist Marcus Garvey, with whom you are all no doubt familiar. In recent years it has been weaponised as an insult by right wing reactionaries to describe any neo-liberal or left wing attempts at asserting the rights of the underdog classes in society, ranging from LGBTQ to Black LIves Matter to even veganism. As for ladyboys in SE ASia, they do have some back in NZ, mainly big butt-ugly Polynesian 'fa'a fine', a culture in which it is acceptable for men to decide to be women. Even if they still look like front-row forwards.
Oh please send us some photos, just what we all need as we nurse our Saturday hangovers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:17 pm A discussion about opinions and bigotry winds up talking about ladyboys. Nice one, boys!
Sexist!!

You need to go on a gender awareness course immediately.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:03 pm
Sexist!!

You need to go on a gender awareness course immediately.
Did he just assume our genders? Rheeeeeeeeh!
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:23 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm I guess as it doesn’t happen in Holland it doesn’t happen .... I concede the floor to you and John B as you’re only focused in Holland and he resents anything not Cambodia centric .... welcome to this discussion my myopic fellow posters, it’s always my displeasure to engage you both.
One thing that popped my head after reading @Random dude's post is that I am not on Twitter and not on FB. Maybe that makes a difference in how I experience it too?
Maybe I'm just lucky enough not to mingle with the really woke types so don't have a finger on the pulse, it's very possible I suppose but I think a lot of it does come from social media, Hollywood gossip etc.

A few people around me are always going on about transgenders in sports and taking over bathrooms, people with weird pronouns, communists and Muslims taking over the world etc but I doubt they've ever even seen a transgender person, their lives certainly aren't being impacted in any way by them and it's unlikely they ever will be. Same with Muslims and commies. I do know they spend a lot of time following YouTube and Telegram channels that seem to exist just to stir people up though, and little to no time in the real world. The woke crap they're so angry about just doesn't exist (outside of TV, the internet) where they are.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:55 pm
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:12 pm The term Woke has been in use since the 1970's, by African Americans to convey a realisation of their status in US society, and how they should react to oppression. The phrase was first used in a 1971 play by American playwright Barry Beckham titled Garvey Lives!, in which he wrote: “I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr Garvey done woke me up, I’m gon’ stay woke. And I’m gon’ help him wake up other black folk.” Referring to the activist Marcus Garvey, with whom you are all no doubt familiar. In recent years it has been weaponised as an insult by right wing reactionaries to describe any neo-liberal or left wing attempts at asserting the rights of the underdog classes in society, ranging from LGBTQ to Black LIves Matter to even veganism. As for ladyboys in SE ASia, they do have some back in NZ, mainly big butt-ugly Polynesian 'fa'a fine', a culture in which it is acceptable for men to decide to be women. Even if they still look like front-row forwards.
Oh please send us some photos, just what we all need as we nurse our Saturday hangovers.
cute, na?

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:08 pm
cute, na?

I'd love to see a homophobe give them a hard time! :nono:
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

cute, na?

I remember growing up as a young child and there were two very obviously men doing the whole drag queen thing (this was in an American Samoan community) but the thing is no one really gave a shit. They didn't beg for attention or whatever, and we didn't pander to them. Both of them where HUGE as well, like 200+ kg. Way bigger than the average "big boi".

I forgot his real name, but all he was to us was "Uncle Gay Boy" and that was him or her or whatever. Fa'afafine they was (same as the Maori term?) and that was that. Damn it, now I talk like dem again just tinking about it.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

cute, na?

Late night on Karangahape Road, stumbling drunk out of the Pink Pussycat club, Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a woman but talked like a man
Oh my Lola
(probably have to be a kiwi JAFA to get that)
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The best interview on this topic I've ever seen.

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic