Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Cooldude »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:26 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:23 pm Thankfully this place (Cambodia) is like an oasis in a desert of PC/Woke bullshit.
Or this place has been 'woke' before it was even invented back in the USA, ladyboys roaming the streets before gender issues were discovered in the good ol' States comes to mind. :stir:
There's never been lots of ladyboys over here. I think Thailand holds first place for that and will continue to do so for years to come.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:37 pm There's never been lots of ladyboys over here. I think Thailand holds first place for that and will continue to do so for years to come.
There are quite a few wandering around street 5 of an evening and Battambang has loads - possibly due to Thai influence.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:25 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:05 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:13 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Many of us live in Cambodia. Have you ever actually been here? It's not too clear from your posts, they are all US-centric.
As always just a personal attack, never anything of substance to say about the actual post ....Your dislike for whatever I say and probably by extension me personally blinds you to the obvious .... if you were half the stalker you try to make it seem you’d know I have had personal contact with folks on this very page and comment about more than just American stuff ..... On a side note, thank you for piping up, I’ve missed you trolling whatever I happen to say here .... I was worried my maybe biggest detractor had put me on ignore ....
Calm down there precious. I didn't attack anyone, I just asked a valid question. Those of us who live in Cambodia don't have to put up so much of that "woke" stuff at all, so maybe it doesn't get to irritate us so much as you US residents.

I’m pretty used to you saying dumb stuff, but how in the world after all I’ve ever said here you could imagine I’m a US resident is beyond me .... on second thought ... you ignoring me is better ..... let’s go back to that.
Now now, no need for the rudeness. I'm not ignoring you, why would I do that? And how could I keep up with all the "latest" lock her up/ build the wall/ check the laptop stuff without your crucial updates? 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:40 pm
Cooldude wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:37 pm There's never been lots of ladyboys over here. I think Thailand holds first place for that and will continue to do so for years to come.
There are quite a few wandering around street 5 of an evening and Battambang has loads - possibly due to Thai influence.
I know quite a few in PP outside of the bar scene as well. 'Lots' or not depends on what you counts as 'lots'.

Anyway, my reply was a bit tongue in cheek.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

At the risk of derailing the thread further, there is no genetic or natural reason for any one country to have more 'ladyboys' than any other. What people really mean when they say that Thailand has more ladyboys than, say, Cambodia, or any other country, is that Thai society is not as conservative as other countries when it comes to transexuals and people of that persuasion feel more comfortable about being themselves in public.

There is no biological reason why there wouldn't be just as many transsexual people in any other country. The difference lies in how society views them, which consequently leads to how comfortable they are displaying their preferred gender in public.

In Thailand, it's on display for all to see. In most other countries, this type of thing remains behind closed doors. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist on the same scale.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

The term Woke has been in use since the 1970's, by African Americans to convey a realisation of their status in US society, and how they should react to oppression. The phrase was first used in a 1971 play by American playwright Barry Beckham titled Garvey Lives!, in which he wrote: “I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr Garvey done woke me up, I’m gon’ stay woke. And I’m gon’ help him wake up other black folk.” Referring to the activist Marcus Garvey, with whom you are all no doubt familiar. In recent years it has been weaponised as an insult by right wing reactionaries to describe any neo-liberal or left wing attempts at asserting the rights of the underdog classes in society, ranging from LGBTQ to Black LIves Matter to even veganism. As for ladyboys in SE ASia, they do have some back in NZ, mainly big butt-ugly Polynesian 'fa'a fine', a culture in which it is acceptable for men to decide to be women. Even if they still look like front-row forwards.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

A discussion about opinions and bigotry winds up talking about ladyboys. Nice one, boys!
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:43 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:25 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:05 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:13 pm

As always just a personal attack, never anything of substance to say about the actual post ....Your dislike for whatever I say and probably by extension me personally blinds you to the obvious .... if you were half the stalker you try to make it seem you’d know I have had personal contact with folks on this very page and comment about more than just American stuff ..... On a side note, thank you for piping up, I’ve missed you trolling whatever I happen to say here .... I was worried my maybe biggest detractor had put me on ignore ....
Calm down there precious. I didn't attack anyone, I just asked a valid question. Those of us who live in Cambodia don't have to put up so much of that "woke" stuff at all, so maybe it doesn't get to irritate us so much as you US residents.

I’m pretty used to you saying dumb stuff, but how in the world after all I’ve ever said here you could imagine I’m a US resident is beyond me .... on second thought ... you ignoring me is better ..... let’s go back to that.
Now now, no need for the rudeness. I'm not ignoring you, why would I do that? And how could I keep up with all the "latest" lock her up/ build the wall/ check the laptop stuff without your crucial updates? 8-)
You’re correct JB ...as you always are .... I was rude & I hope you can forgive me .... In my albeit weak defense, in a moment of irrationality I chose what I thought was the higher road of 2 thoughts but obviously with your gentle reminder I see that I was wrong ...you see, my first thought when reading your latest quip was the old adage about how arguing with dummies is like mud wrestling with pigs, ya both get dirty but the pig most often enjoys it way too much .... and you see, in that moment I thought it unfair comparing you with a pig .... I didn’t want to disrespect a pig unable to defend himself not being a board member .... in future I’ll just count to ten and remember how very little your opinion matters to me and remain silent.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

I think he has learned his lesson.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:17 pm A discussion about opinions and bigotry winds up talking about ladyboys. Nice one, boys!
Why not? Its a discussion forum and the rules don't say you have to stick to the topic. As they say, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic