Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Kammekor »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:30 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm

I love you, but... I don't need to talk about you in every conversation I have.
I'm all about free speech but....

Addition:

You try turn this into a semantical discussion, but I would like to point out generally when someone makes a statement followed with 'but' the opposite is meant.
I heard a statement from Salmon Rushdy yesterday saying: when someone says 'i am all about free speech but...' het switches off. I tend to do the same.
You must be fun at parties.

So do you have any opinions about what I wrote or you going to talk about a "but" all night?
No, I had some sleep last night.

About your post, I'd day you sent out a double message. The first part is all about not having given it much thought and al and respect for all, but, you don't like it being forced on you.

Is it really being forced on you that much?
And the other side, hasn't mainstream culture been forced on the 'wokeys' for a long time.

I'm no fan of the woke movement, quite the opposite in fact, but at the the end of the day the intolerance within the woke movement will destroy it from inside I think. And maybe that's a good thing because from what I see the respect a lot of people in the woke movement claim for themselves they can't pay to people outside the woke movement. For me it's a live and let live situation. Those people might disagree with the way I live, and I might disagree with theirs, but it's their life, not mine.
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large ....
Maybe because I chose to live in Cambodia in 2009?
At large, at large... You seem to be exaggerating a bit.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm When it's expected that even the military are obligated to put their pronouns on their bio page ...
Not in my country.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Transgenders are women athletes of the year ...
If that happened it's plain silly, but I know there's a lot of resentment against it.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Grade school children are being taught all about alternate families but can't do simple math without a calculator ....
I agree, and wrote about it earlier in another thread, society tends to drop all kinds of problems in education to solve it. This isn't typical 'woke'. It started in 80's when I was in primary myself, and probably earlier.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm child services can remove pre teen children from the family home if the parents don't go along with gender reassignment ....
Debatable, agreed. But the line between children's individual rights and the parent's right is a precious one.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Hollyweird has found it necessary to change iconic characters gender or to visible minorities to appease the eternally offended ...
I agree that's silly, but I don't have to watch this woke revised sh#t. The old stuff is still available.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Coming out and having transgender children has replaced the old woke of adopting African and Asian babies .. .
Well, there have always been good-doers, often with the intention to get the best for themselves as well. Personally I am not offended by transgenders (gays, or lesbians, or whatever). I guess being born as a certain gender while being convinced you're trapped in the wrong body is a horrible experience. Maybe those people deserve some slack. Try to have a chat with a ladyboy and the trip (s)he made till today.
If a foster family can provide that kid with what he / she needs and the biological family denies there's a problem maybe fostering is a solution?
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm When taking a knee during the national anthem is expected and enforced but taking a knee in silent prayer for success on the field warrants a suspension and/or fine ...
Again, not in my country.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Disliking BLM because of its Marxist politics makes you racist by extension ...
Would make me a racist. Silly, I am in an inter-racial relationship. But there are more reasons to dislike BLM. The corruption at the top, the way they handled looting during the 'protests'. Even some Blacks dislike BLM.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Still believing capitalism is the greatest method for elevating the abject poor means one hates low wage workers ....
There's not much alternatives from capitalism, unfortunately, because it's far from perfect, isn't it?
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm When private industry is legally mandated by quotas who to hire by race or gender ... It goes on and on ....
Again, not where I live. The government in the country where my company resides floods me with silly stuff, but not this one. I can hire who I want, when I want.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Democracy is ' protecting ' the rights of minorities ... When the rights/wishes/personal beliefs of the minority becomes the law of the land, that is tyranny.
Woke has erased your rights?
I think it's mainly a North American (US + Canada) thing. In Europe it isn't as big an issue, to honest, although there's some silly stuff going on there as well. I look at what happens in NA with amazement. I also have the feeling in Europe people are more cautious and stand up against some stuff earlier because in NA things seem to spiral out of control with each party indulging in its' own 'being right'.
In Europe there was an issue this week about Scotland considering handing out free tampons because of the high inflation. Some women resisted against the Scottish government stating they would hand out tampons to 'people with a uturus'. Some women organization's stood up against that, claiming they fought for decades to make women equal to men and they wouldn't allow the cancellation of the word 'woman'. So there's hope I guess. Feminists to the rescue!

Sometimes I wonder if what people like you go through now is similar to what the parents of the hippies went through in the sixties. A change in thinking by some of the young ones they could not understand, or approve with.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:08 pm

Addition:

You try turn this into a semantical discussion, but I would like to point out generally when someone makes a statement followed with 'but' the opposite is meant.
I heard a statement from Salmon Rushdy yesterday saying: when someone says 'i am all about free speech but...' het switches off. I tend to do the same.

So do you have any opinions about what I wrote or you going to talk about a "but" all night?

About your post, I'd day you sent out a double message. The first part is all about not having given it much thought and al and respect for all, but, you don't like it being forced on you.

And the other side, hasn't mainstream culture been forced on the 'wokeys' for a long time.

I'm no fan of the woke movement, quite the opposite in fact, but at the the end of the day the intolerance within the woke movement will destroy it from inside I think. And maybe that's a good thing because from what I see the respect a lot of people in the woke movement claim for themselves they can't pay to people outside the woke movement. For me it's a live and let live situation. Those people might disagree with the way I live, and I might disagree with theirs, but it's their life, not mine.
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large ....
Maybe because I chose to live in Cambodia in 2009?
At large, at large... You seem to be exaggerating a bit.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm When it's expected that even the military are obligated to put their pronouns on their bio page ...
Not in my country.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Transgenders are women athletes of the year ...
If that happened it's plain silly, but I know there's a lot of resentment against it.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Grade school children are being taught all about alternate families but can't do simple math without a calculator ....
I agree, and wrote about it earlier in another thread, society tends to drop all kinds of problems in education to solve it. This isn't typical 'woke'. It started in 80's when I was in primary myself, and probably earlier.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm child services can remove pre teen children from the family home if the parents don't go along with gender reassignment ....
Debatable, agreed. But the line between children's individual rights and the parent's right is a precious one.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Hollyweird has found it necessary to change iconic characters gender or to visible minorities to appease the eternally offended ...
I agree that's silly, but I don't have to watch this woke revised sh#t. The old stuff is still available.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Coming out and having transgender children has replaced the old woke of adopting African and Asian babies .. .
Well, there have always been good-doers, often with the intention to get the best for themselves as well. Personally I am not offended by transgenders (gays, or lesbians, or whatever). I guess being born as a certain gender while being convinced you're trapped in the wrong body is a horrible experience. Maybe those people deserve some slack. Try to have a chat with a ladyboy and the trip (s)he made till today.
If a foster family can provide that kid with what he / she needs and the biological family denies there's a problem maybe fostering is a solution?
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm When taking a knee during the national anthem is expected and enforced but taking a knee in silent prayer for success on the field warrants a suspension and/or fine ...
Again, not in my country.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Disliking BLM because of its Marxist politics makes you racist by extension ...
Would make me a racist. Silly, I am in an inter-racial relationship. But there are more reasons to dislike BLM. The corruption at the top, the way they handled looting during the 'protests'. Even some Blacks dislike BLM.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Still believing capitalism is the greatest method for elevating the abject poor means one hates low wage workers ....
There's not much alternatives from capitalism, unfortunately, because it's far from perfect, isn't it?
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm When private industry is legally mandated by quotas who to hire by race or gender ... It goes on and on ....
Again, not where I live. The government in the country where my company resides floods me with silly stuff, but not this one. I can hire who I want, when I want.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm Democracy is ' protecting ' the rights of minorities ... When the rights/wishes/personal beliefs of the minority becomes the law of the land, that is tyranny.
Woke has erased your rights?
I think it's mainly a North American (US + Canada) thing. In Europe it isn't as big an issue, to honest, although there's some silly stuff going on there as well. I look at what happens in NA with amazement.

Sometimes I wonder if what people like you go through now is similar to what the parents of the hippies went through in the sixties. A change in thinking by some of the young ones they could not understand, or approve with.

I guess as it doesn’t happen in Holland it doesn’t happen .... I concede the floor to you and John B as you’re only focused in Holland and he resents anything not Cambodia centric .... welcome to this discussion my myopic fellow posters, it’s always my displeasure to engage you both.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I gave you 12 replies, 2 out of 12 were 'not in my country'.

Just saying.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Wokeism ... meh, who cares.

Before woke was a thing we had angry vegans telling us we were disgusting, murdered flesh-eating scum. It was very rare to actually encounter one, you usually only saw them on tv protesting outside of a supermarket or something. The average, well-balanced person just said it doesn't affect me, understood that the majority of vegans aren't like that, if they want to live on salad and tofu that's their business, and focused on their own lives.

Now we have the same type of people running social media channels and calling themselves influencers. They get outraged by stupid shit most people don't give a fuck about, just like the angry vegans most of their issues don't really affect anyone in the real world.

I don't understand why people get so upset by the existence of those types, to the point where get angry and just as outraged as the outraged woke.

If someone decides they might be a woman in a man's body and want to be called she/her - call them she or her. It's no big deal, it costs you nothing and why be a cunt to someone going through some personal shit? Just because YOU don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't a real thing for some people.

If someone on tv wants to call out what they see as racism or generally shitty behaviour ask yourself (honestly) if they have a point and maybe self-reflect. Sometimes, they do have a valid complaint. Sometimes they don't. Either way, if they're on the internet or tv they're not affecting you personally. No need to get outraged. Just move on. Don't be a Karen.

I find it ironic that the people (I personally know a few) who are often ignorant, racist, homophobic dickheads themselves are eternally outraged by people getting outraged over ignorance, racism and homophobia.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm I guess as it doesn’t happen in Holland it doesn’t happen .... I concede the floor to you and John B as you’re only focused in Holland and he resents anything not Cambodia centric .... welcome to this discussion my myopic fellow posters, it’s always my displeasure to engage you both.
One thing that popped my head after reading @Random dude's post is that I am not on Twitter and not on FB. Maybe that makes a difference in how I experience it too?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm

I love you, but.....
I love you, but... I don't need to talk about you in every conversation I have.

Addition:

It's not that its being forced on me, it's that woke educational content that is added to a script after the fact tends to create out of place characters and conversations that becomes a distraction when you are trying to submerge in a fictional story.

Why do you think they canceled Batgirl? Netflix has also been taking huge losses by producing a ton of woke content that nobody wants to watch. They recently told all employees more or less that the woke hype is over and if they have issues then Netflix is not the place for them.

But, (haha) each to their own. I'm sure some people don't really care, or doesn't even indulge in video entertainment, it's all good.

:beer2:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:13 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:52 pm
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large ...
Many of us live in Cambodia. Have you ever actually been here? It's not too clear from your posts, they are all US-centric.
As always just a personal attack, never anything of substance to say about the actual post ....Your dislike for whatever I say and probably by extension me personally blinds you to the obvious .... if you were half the stalker you try to make it seem you’d know I have had personal contact with folks on this very page and comment about more than just American stuff ..... On a side note, thank you for piping up, I’ve missed you trolling whatever I happen to say here .... I was worried my maybe biggest detractor had put me on ignore ....
Calm down there precious. I didn't attack anyone, I just asked a valid question. Those of us who live in Cambodia don't have to put up so much of that "woke" stuff at all, so maybe it doesn't get to irritate us so much as you US residents.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

[/quote]
Those of us who live in Cambodia don't have to put up so much of that "woke" stuff at all, so maybe it doesn't get to irritate us so much as you US residents.
[/quote]

Thankfully this place (Cambodia) is like an oasis in a desert of PC/Woke bullshit.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:05 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:13 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:52 pm
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large ...
Many of us live in Cambodia. Have you ever actually been here? It's not too clear from your posts, they are all US-centric.
As always just a personal attack, never anything of substance to say about the actual post ....Your dislike for whatever I say and probably by extension me personally blinds you to the obvious .... if you were half the stalker you try to make it seem you’d know I have had personal contact with folks on this very page and comment about more than just American stuff ..... On a side note, thank you for piping up, I’ve missed you trolling whatever I happen to say here .... I was worried my maybe biggest detractor had put me on ignore ....
Calm down there precious. I didn't attack anyone, I just asked a valid question. Those of us who live in Cambodia don't have to put up so much of that "woke" stuff at all, so maybe it doesn't get to irritate us so much as you US residents.

I’m pretty used to you saying dumb stuff, but how in the world after all I’ve ever said here you could imagine I’m a US resident is beyond me .... on second thought ... you ignoring me is better ..... let’s go back to that.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:23 pm Thankfully this place (Cambodia) is like an oasis in a desert of PC/Woke bullshit.
Or this place has been 'woke' before it was even invented back in the USA, ladyboys roaming the streets before gender issues were discovered in the good ol' States comes to mind. :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic