Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Kenr »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:49 am
Kenr wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 pm Unfortunately people use the term “woke” as an insult when all it really means is to be well informed and up to date on various issues.
I thought woke was a type of mental illness.
Woke would be anything anyone said on here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Woke was a verb up until a few years ago. Of all the verbs to turn into adjectives, who decided on 'woke'? I know that some verbs get turned into adjectives, but not past tense verbs. It just sounds wrong and I've never got used to it.

I guess you could say I'm not knew on all this modern-day vocabulary.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Woke comes from recent black English.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ing-origin

Its current usage reminds of the older term political correctness, often used perjoratively.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

I’m tired of people treating mental illness as a new normal one must capitulate to otherwise you be canceled. I don’t care what anyones sexual orientation is, but for some reason it defines some peoples entire existence. Same could be said for race, gender, etc. Identity politics is as insufferable as religious people spouting scripture to people that don’t want to hear it. Keep all that to yourself, and if not, be prepared to be offended.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm I never thought much about the woke movement, if someone identifies as this or that it's fine, they want to be called he/she/it whatever it's perfectly fine just let me know and I will adjust. It's just basic respect the way I see it.

But,
I love you, but.....
I love you, but... I don't need to talk about you in every conversation I have.
I'm all about free speech but....

Addition:

You try turn this into a semantical discussion, but I would like to point out generally when someone makes a statement followed with 'but' the opposite is meant.
I heard a statement from Salmon Rushdy yesterday saying: when someone says 'i am all about free speech but...' het switches off. I tend to do the same.
You must be fun at parties.

So do you have any opinions about what I wrote or you going to talk about a "but" all night?
No, I had some sleep last night.

About your post, I'd day you sent out a double message. The first part is all about not having given it much thought and al and respect for all, but, you don't like it being forced on you.

Is it really being forced on you that much?
And the other side, hasn't mainstream culture been forced on the 'wokeys' for a long time.

I'm no fan of the woke movement, quite the opposite in fact, but at the the end of the day the intolerance within the woke movement will destroy it from inside I think. And maybe that's a good thing because from what I see the respect a lot of people in the woke movement claim for themselves they can't pay to people outside the woke movement. For me it's a live and let live situation. Those people might disagree with the way I live, and I might disagree with theirs, but it's their life, not mine.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TheImplication wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:28 am I’m tired of people treating mental illness as a new normal one must capitulate to otherwise you be canceled. I don’t care what anyones sexual orientation is, but for some reason it defines some peoples entire existence. Same could be said for race, gender, etc. Identity politics is as insufferable as religious people spouting scripture to people that don’t want to hear it. Keep all that to yourself, and if not, be prepared to be offended.
Could this be an example of bigotry? Or is it just intolerance, a strong opinion?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The wokeys annoy the hell out of me.
When having simple respect, and due regard for others needs to be given a label. A label which seems to me to have come from slang generated by having not learned to speak correctly.

Similarly, the person who asks you to borrow them some money, having somehow never learned the difference and relation between the words lend and borrow. It’s like nails on a blackboard.

Woke. The term sounds like it comes from a rap song. It somehow gets shoved into conversations that started out having nothing to do with the subject. The more the term is used, the emptier the sentiment feels.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:30 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm

I love you, but.....
I love you, but... I don't need to talk about you in every conversation I have.
I'm all about free speech but....

Addition:

You try turn this into a semantical discussion, but I would like to point out generally when someone makes a statement followed with 'but' the opposite is meant.
I heard a statement from Salmon Rushdy yesterday saying: when someone says 'i am all about free speech but...' het switches off. I tend to do the same.
You must be fun at parties.

So do you have any opinions about what I wrote or you going to talk about a "but" all night?
No, I had some sleep last night.

About your post, I'd day you sent out a double message. The first part is all about not having given it much thought and al and respect for all, but, you don't like it being forced on you.

Is it really being forced on you that much?
And the other side, hasn't mainstream culture been forced on the 'wokeys' for a long time.

I'm no fan of the woke movement, quite the opposite in fact, but at the the end of the day the intolerance within the woke movement will destroy it from inside I think. And maybe that's a good thing because from what I see the respect a lot of people in the woke movement claim for themselves they can't pay to people outside the woke movement. For me it's a live and let live situation. Those people might disagree with the way I live, and I might disagree with theirs, but it's their life, not mine.
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large .... When it's expected that even the military are obligated to put their pronouns on their bio page ... Transgenders are women athletes of the year ... Grade school children are being taught all about alternate families but can't do simple math without a calculator .... child services can remove pre teen children from the family home if the parents don't go along with gender reassignment .... Hollyweird has found it necessary to change iconic characters gender or to visible minorities to appease the eternally offended ... Coming out and having transgender children has replaced the old woke of adopting African and Asian babies .. . When taking a knee during the national anthem is expected and enforced but taking a knee in silent prayer for success on the field warrants a suspension and/or fine ... Disliking BLM because of its Marxist politics makes you racist by extension ... Still believing capitalism is the greatest method for elevating the abject poor means one hates low wage workers ....When private industry is legally mandated by quotas who to hire by race or gender ... It goes on and on ....
Democracy is ' protecting ' the rights of minorities ... When the rights/wishes/personal beliefs of the minority becomes the law of the land, that is tyranny.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large ...
Many of us live in Cambodia. Have you ever actually been here? It's not too clear from your posts, they are all US-centric.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:13 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:52 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 pm
I'm not sure what alternate universe you live in that all this 'woke' shyte isn't being forced upon the citizenry at large ...
Many of us live in Cambodia. Have you ever actually been here? It's not too clear from your posts, they are all US-centric.
As always just a personal attack, never anything of substance to say about the actual post ....Your dislike for whatever I say and probably by extension me personally blinds you to the obvious .... if you were half the stalker you try to make it seem you’d know I have had personal contact with folks on this very page and comment about more than just American stuff ..... On a side note, thank you for piping up, I’ve missed you trolling whatever I happen to say here .... I was worried my maybe biggest detractor had put me on ignore ....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic