Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Opinions, strong opinions, and bigotry

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm I never thought much about the woke movement, if someone identifies as this or that it's fine, they want to be called he/she/it whatever it's perfectly fine just let me know and I will adjust. It's just basic respect the way I see it.

But,
I love you, but.....
I love you, but... I don't need to talk about you in every conversation I have.
I'm all about free speech but....

Addition:

You try turn this into a semantical discussion, but I would like to point out generally when someone makes a statement followed with 'but' the opposite is meant.
I heard a statement from Salmon Rushdy yesterday saying: when someone says 'i am all about free speech but...' het switches off. I tend to do the same.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm I never thought much about the woke movement, if someone identifies as this or that it's fine, they want to be called he/she/it whatever it's perfectly fine just let me know and I will adjust. It's just basic respect the way I see it.

But,
I love you, but.....

Addition:

You try turn this into a semantical discussion, but I would like to point out generally when someone makes a statement followed with 'but' the opposite is meant.
I heard a statement from Salmon Rushdy yesterday saying: when someone says 'i am all about free speech but...' het switches off. I tend to do the same.
You must be fun at parties.

So do you have any opinions about what I wrote or you going to talk about a "but" all night?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I have a problem with forcing everyone to conform to their ideas, the quintessential purpose of woke. What people do in their privacy and choose to believe is up to them.

An analogy - I’ve sat down at a diner and just ordered lunch. A couple - man, woman, animal, etc., stroll down and start doing in on my dining table. And then they chew me out for not applauding their actions.

That bothers me. That is the essence of woke taking over the world.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Unfortunately people use the term “woke” as an insult when all it really means is to be well informed and up to date on various issues.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:00 pm I have a problem with forcing everyone to conform to their ideas, the quintessential purpose of woke. What people do in their privacy and choose to believe is up to them.

An analogy - I’ve sat down at a diner and just ordered lunch. A couple - man, woman, animal, etc., stroll down and start doing in on my dining table. And then they chew me out for not applauding their actions.

That bothers me. That is the essence of woke taking over the world.
What do you mean conform to their ideas?

It's not like you need to do anything?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 pm

But,
I love you, but.....

Addition:

A middle class tendency to soften the blow when speaking. I think it is better to be direct in such matters. Image
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I don't know what threads were referenced, who the posters that are talked about, etc...but my problem has to do with a false sense of authority that is given to some "well established" posters just because of how long they've posted and how many posts they have.

Just because you've been around a while and "talk" a lot doesn't really mean anything.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Question:
Is 'Let's just try to get along, respecting each other'' a "woke" cliché , or is it just common sense that you would use to get on with your neighbor's that doesn't think exactly like you ? Howdy-doo.

Everybody who contributes here wants to get something from the forum.
Some like to get keep up with news in Cambodia, others want to stay in touch because they've moved away - for a while or for good - some posters have never been to Cambodia but want to learn more, some need specific help, some join up for the CEO community discussions, others have thing(s) they want to promote, and then, there are some who post mainly because they are bored, can't sleep and the bar is closed.
(And then, there are those who are just shit-stirrers would would post on any forum that would accept them.)
Apart from the last category, all of these people have good reasons to post.

In short: You don't have to respect all opinions, but it's good to respect the person who is posting here.
(Or, alternatively, ignore them, report them as trolls to CEO mods, or send their IP address to Cambodian Cyber-crime control command at 123-123-123.*)
* And I'm fking kidding %)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kenr wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 pm Unfortunately people use the term “woke” as an insult when all it really means is to be well informed and up to date on various issues.
I thought woke was a type of mental illness.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:49 am I thought woke was a type of mental illness.
Some evidence for that.

https://www.psypost.org/2021/08/anxiety ... tain-61713
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... d-ideology

As for the original point, bigotry seems quite subjective to me. Everyone has preferences and likes/dislikes, but the definition of bigotry generally has an element of power and status to it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic