The Progressive Left ... Racism but different ....

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Progressive Left ... Racism but different ....

Post by Kammekor »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:09 am I've spoken before of the Pyramid of Untouchability.

Here again it rears its ugly head .... Persecuting someone's employability is ok so long as they're white .... This does not constitute racism in some minds ....

Scary knowing some here have kids and brag about participating in their education through 'home schooling' .... What great role models you represent .... Champions of taking from both sides of the mouth simultaneously.
Sorry, I don't get your point fully.
If you have the feeling I like to brag, or I bragged about home schooling, I never intended to. I just tried to offer an alternative for the not that great but yet expensive private schools in this country.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:02 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:44 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 am So it’s better to get rid of older people, who already have a problem being hired due to ageism?
Hiring and firing should be based on a persons qualifications and ability/willingness to do the job.
And just a reminder, this post is in the CEO section titled “The rest of the world”
For the sake of education it's likely way better to get rid of average older teachers who are stuck in their ways in favor of younger teachers with fresh ideas and more energy. The older generation can come to Cambodia and teach English online, problem solved.
You know who they should get rid of first, the “teachers” who think their students knowing all about their “special genders” is more important than teaching them how to read and write.
Ok sure, and teachers that wear helmets when bicycling. If anything is going to turn your kid gay it's seeing that shit.

But I still think it's favorable to not solely rely on the seniority system. A newly educated teacher will be up to date on all of today's learning tools and will have a lot to give for a long time but, will be ruled out in favor of a 70 year old teacher that might not even be good at what he/she does, how does that benefit students?

It seems like a somewhat stale system in a world where new technology and means of communication / learning / creating is presented on an almost daily basis.

Not trying to disrespect older teachers, I'm sure many of them are still excelling, but having been at the job for a long time shouldn't be the only criteria when it comes to teaching IMHO.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:31 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 am So it’s better to get rid of older people, who already have a problem being hired due to ageism?
Hiring and firing should be based on a persons qualifications and ability/willingness to do the job.
And just a reminder, this post is in the CEO section titled “The rest of the world”
For the sake of education it's likely way better to get rid of average older teachers who are stuck in their ways in favor of younger teachers with fresh ideas and more energy. The older generation can come to Cambodia and teach English online, problem solved.
You know who they should get rid of first, the “teachers” who think their students knowing all about their “special genders” is more important than teaching them how to read and write.
Ok sure, and teachers that wear helmets when bicycling. If anything is going to turn your kid gay it's seeing that shit.

But I still think it's favorable to not solely rely on the seniority system. A newly educated teacher will be up to date on all of today's learning tools and will have a lot to give for a long time but, will be ruled out in favor of a 70 year old teacher that might not even be good at what he/she does, how does that benefit students?

It seems like a somewhat stale system in a world where new technology and means of communication / learning / creating is presented on an almost daily basis.

Not trying to disrespect older teachers, I'm sure many of them are still excelling, but having been at the job for a long time shouldn't be the only criteria when it comes to teaching IMHO.
I didn’t mention it would turn kids gay (that was you) my point is, there’s an awful lot of blue haired so called teachers, who believe their sexuality is of paramount importance to their students.
I didn’t need to to my teachers first name, or if they were even married, and I managed to get a perfectly adequate education.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Not trying to disrespect older white teachers, I'm sure many of them are still excelling, but having been at the job for a long time shouldn't be the only criteria when it comes to teaching IMHO.

FTFY.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 pm

I didn’t mention it would turn kids gay (that was you) my point is, there’s an awful lot of blue haired so called teachers, who believe their sexuality is of paramount importance to their students.
I didn’t need to to my teachers first name, or if they were even married, and I managed to get a perfectly adequate education.
Teachers as in real teachers, trained & licensed?

An awful lot?

Even if this is true their initial idealism will die a sudden and painful death during their first month on the job. Kids have better bullshit detectors than the most experienced troll around here and they're merciless to teachers talking bullshit.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

That sounds like a different issue than the seniority system. I'm not a fan of the woke movement, hopefully they are not planning to exchange old teachers for purely blue haired non binary people. But who knows, these are interesting times after all.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:08 pm Not trying to disrespect older white teachers, I'm sure many of them are still excelling, but having been at the job for a long time shouldn't be the only criteria when it comes to teaching IMHO.

FTFY.
They can be blue for all I care.

I had only white teachers, that was never a huge issue in a white society. However they were almost exclusively older ladies and they sucked at making education interesting or fun. My parents were no fans of the setup either but that was the only school we had.

Should be like in law enforcement, you get your time on the street then after so and so many years you get desk duty. Unless you're one of those special characters that can go forever.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:35 pm

That sounds like a different issue than the seniority system. I'm not a fan of the woke movement, hopefully they are not planning to exchange old teachers for purely blue haired non binary people. But who knows, these are interesting times after all.
It's no new discussion. Three decades ago there was resistance against gay & lesbian teachers admitting they were what they were, and now it's the queers and the binaries. Whatever their background is, teachers will only survive when they adopt a professional role in the line of duty. Teachers from a minority group might be a small roll model for some kids, their experience might even benefit a few kids, but that's it. In the classroom they're the teacher of all the kids and they'll have to handle a group of 25-35 adolescents. Everyone with experience as a parent can vow for the 'ease' to deal with those, teachers deal with tens of them at the time, for years.
Schools are very harsh merciless environments with strict social rules. I wouldn't lose a single night of sleep over this.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:47 pm

It's no new discussion. Three decades ago there was resistance against gay & lesbian teachers admitting they were what they were, and now it's the queers and the binaries. Whatever their background is, teachers will only survive when they adopt a professional role in the line of duty. Teachers from a minority group might be a small roll model for some kids, their experience might even benefit a few kids, but that's it. In the classroom they're the teacher of all the kids and they'll have to handle a group of 25-35 adolescents. Everyone with experience as a parent can vow for the 'ease' to deal with those, teachers deal with tens of them at the time, for years.
Schools are very harsh merciless environments with strict social rules. I wouldn't lose a single night of sleep over this.
I hear you, not that I care who someone likes to fuck / fall in love with as long as they do their job well.
My comment was just in general regarding the woke movement.

But my thought is also that school is a harsh merciless environment and a normal person will get burnt out.
Hanging on as a teacher because you have nothing else to do is not good for either the teacher or the student.

Hence my not so serious comparison with law enforcement where there is a systematic understanding that the work takes its toll and after so and so many years you deserve to get out of the line of fire.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:47 pm

I hear you, not that I care who someone likes to fuck / fall in love with as long as they do their job well.
My comment was just in general regarding the woke movement.

But my thought is also that school is a harsh merciless environment and a normal person will get burnt out.
Hanging on as a teacher because you have nothing else to do is not good for either the teacher or the student.

Hence my not so serious comparison with law enforcement where there is a systematic understanding that the work takes its toll and after so and so many years you deserve to get out of the line of fire.
Giving teachers office work has been tried and it basically failed. The main job of the school is to teach, tasks other than teaching are rather scarce and teacher's are generally considered too expensive to do those jobs.
I've been a teacher myself since I was 23 years old and even though I had a great time and did the work with relative ease I am happy I made a career switch. Working as a teacher means you've got a pretty inflexible job which is based on your teaching schedule and the planning of the school year. The things children, parents and society expect from education only go up. During my 15 years is (secondary) education the roles and responsibilities always grew. Whenever a problem arises in society it's thrown over the fence to education because 'education' and 'awareness' are the key to solve any problem.
I've seen teachers doing a great job until their retirement but I've also seen teachers stranded in a new era, confronted with a new generation, struggling to cope with those changes. Maybe a saving plan which allows for a relatively early retirement can ease the pain, or less teaching hours / smaller classes. Two hours with 16 kids is way different from two hours with 30 kids.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic