Brits to be warned about Armageddon via mobile phone alert

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Brits to be warned about Armageddon via mobile phone alert

Post by xandreu »

OK, apologies for the slight click-bait title, but it's all I could think about when reading the article.

Very, very reminiscent of the TV ads in the 80's warning people how to recognise a nuclear attack warning and what to do in such an event, the modern day equivalent is that the government will send an alert to all mobile phones warning them of a danger to life through flooding, fires, extreme weather, public health emergencies and potentially terror attacks.

"Officials would not discuss the arrangements for warning the population of an impending military or nuclear attack on the country."

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed the article was written in such a way as to not alarm people, by focussing more on the less alarming events such as fires and floods, but I read it as the start of preparations for alerting the public to more serious events. Anyone who lived through the 70s / 80s will probably know what I'm talking about.

Things are heating up out there...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62549122
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Brits to be warned about Armageddon via mobile phone alert

Post by Ghostwriter »

In case of a war / nuclear attack sms, that would make the whole country a panicking spot.
Local floods sms, local panic only.

That is, if you're in the 85% AND have signal.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

settle down poms its not that hot :facepalm:
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:50 pm settle down poms its not that hot :facepalm:
It’s “catastrophic floods” now mate, try and keep up😉
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I have got all SMS blocked, except for the one about Dogs & Cats living together.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

On the face of it, I’d say it makes some sense. It’s an available broadcast system. Why not use it.

The Mr Negative view-
But we’re in an age of exploitative instant messaging, hoaxing and spam. It won’t be long before it’s being used for scaremongering, disinformation, manipulation etc.

How often does one need to cry wolf before it’s ignored?
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

The system is in place already in the US .... Hawaii at least .... it wasn’t so long ago an SMS was sent out to all its Islands saying nukes were inbound ..... oopsie .... just a glitch in the matrix .... please return to your normal activities after you’ve changed your soiled undies !!

I seem to remember false tsunami warnings being sent out in Alaska in the last year as well .....
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

At the start of the 1st covid lockdown in Britain I got a text from the government. Not everyone got one but most did. Does that mean that if there's a nuclear disaster I will be one of the chosen ones to be warned and hopefully survive? ;-) :Yahoo!:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:46 pm In case of a war / nuclear attack sms, that would make the whole country a panicking spot.
Local floods sms, local panic only.

That is, if you're in the 85% AND have signal.
Probably the easiest way to undermine this system will be to open up a few more Indian call centres and help lines.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

It's been operating in NZ for a while now. As far as I can recall there haven't been any false alarms, hoaxing, spam, scams etc... I'd imagine they have pretty good controls in place to safeguard against that because if it became a pain in people's arse they'd just turn it off and it would be pointless having it.

It's a good idea in my opinion,well worth having. NZ is prone to flooding, bush fires, and earthquakes, and a lot of the east coast is in a tsunami zone. The faultline that could set off a tsunami is overdue for a massive upheaval so any heads up you can give people before a tsunami or bushfire hits would be better than nothing.

It's obviously not perfect, every time there's a trial or it's actually used there are reports of people not getting it for whatever reasons but I suppose every time it's used the system is fine-tuned to fix those errors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic