Brits to be warned about Armageddon via mobile phone alert

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Brits to be warned about Armageddon via mobile phone alert

Post by hanno »

Germany is recommissioning all the alarm systems and expanding them after the disastrous floods last year that claimed 180 lives. However, it was not so much the absence of these systems that caused the catastrophe (the sirens did sound off but too late) but rather the federal system that manages disaster alarms. Too many levels of authority and in the end nobody is responsible. Point I am making is that the best alarm system is no use if messages get stuck in bureaucracy.
NitNoi
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by NitNoi »

There is or was an effective system in Denver Colorado some years ago. My Android phone was making a loud noise I had never heard. There was a tornado warning on the screen. How? By whom?
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

AFAIK in the event of nuclear armageddon we will all get a phone text that says "bend down, put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye". Anything else would be superfluous.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:07 pm It's been operating in NZ for a while now. As far as I can recall there haven't been any false alarms, hoaxing, spam, scams etc... I'd imagine they have pretty good controls in place to safeguard against that because if it became a pain in people's arse they'd just turn it off and it would be pointless having it.

It's a good idea in my opinion,well worth having. NZ is prone to flooding, bush fires, and earthquakes, and a lot of the east coast is in a tsunami zone. The faultline that could set off a tsunami is overdue for a massive upheaval so any heads up you can give people before a tsunami or bushfire hits would be better than nothing.

It's obviously not perfect, every time there's a trial or it's actually used there are reports of people not getting it for whatever reasons but I suppose every time it's used the system is fine-tuned to fix those errors.
Thread from 2016: Natural Disaster Early Warning System being set up for Cambodians.
newsworthy/natural-disaster-early-warni ... 11890.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sounds like a cool app. I wonder if it gives a countdown and tells you when you can expect to be melted? Is it on Playstore?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

They'll likely make it region restricted. My App Store is set for Cambodia, so I won't know to look for shadows on the wall when next I visit the toxic wasteland.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

US phones have had it for a while.

No nuclear war alert notification button as of yet.

As one poster has alluded to, the sheer volume of alerts sent is an issue.

Constant alerts about missing fur babies (accompanied by the most annoying alert sound possible) causes me to turn them off.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hdgh29 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:18 pm AFAIK in the event of nuclear armageddon we will all get a phone text that says "bend down, put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye". Anything else would be superfluous.
Damn. I watched avidly all those ads about unscrewing the doors in the home, and making a shelter under the dining table. Was that all wasted effort?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic