Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

Post by Phnom Krom »

Hypothically of course, should one be in the position to be demanded to pay teachers money, is that ok? normal? Acceptable and normsl because what? Becauause the govt here doesn't pay fair wages? Becauase proper schools cost 10,000 pluu per kid. Because the elite class doesn't care about their peoples? Because other govts are tired of the demands of the patrisrchy to support oppression and srervitude of the masses to uplift their progeny?
Should I pay and shut up?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

Post by rozzieoz »

It's a terrible system, but I'd be worried about the repercussions for my child if I didn't pay it.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

You better pay it or that motodop sprog will be repeating it's third year in a row

Most teachers just ask for five bucks a month and are actually very attentive to the child's needs after that, messaging parents etc. At least that's how it is for the cousins.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Phnom Krom wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:52 pm Hypothically of course, should one be in the position to be demanded to pay teachers money, is that ok? normal? Acceptable and normsl because what? Becauause the govt here doesn't pay fair wages? Becauase proper schools cost 10,000 pluu per kid. Because the elite class doesn't care about their peoples? Because other govts are tired of the demands of the patrisrchy to support oppression and srervitude of the masses to uplift their progeny?
How much are you spending on beer every day ?

Me,, I gave up drinking so I could pay $65 plus a month to send a kid to a private Khmer school in the morning and another $75 plus per month to go to a private English school in the afternoon.

Multiply that for 3 kids and you can see I believe I have invested in a good cause . Oh, and they have none of my DNA .
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Phnom Krom wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:52 pm Hypothically of course, should one be in the position to be demanded to pay teachers money, is that ok? normal? Acceptable and normsl because what? Becauause the govt here doesn't pay fair wages? Becauase proper schools cost 10,000 pluu per kid. Because the elite class doesn't care about their peoples? Because other govts are tired of the demands of the patrisrchy to support oppression and srervitude of the masses to uplift their progeny?
Is this a question about augmenting a teacher’s salary with a little extra money?
Or something of an emotive soap box rallying cry?
Both are worthy, but maybe not quite so mixed together.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

What money are they asking for?

Generally in state schools the corruption is hidden. The teacher will hand out learning materials at a price, the teacher will pressure the kids to buy food and snacks at a certain stall and receive a kickback. The school will charge for the parking place and the teachers will only teach part of the curriculum during classes to force the kids into private classes

When my wife's kid was in (secondary) state school I coughed up the money for the parking and the learning materials (well, the kid coughed it up from the weekly 20k riel's allowance I gave him) and whenever a quarterly report would come in from the class teacher I would sign it off and send it back with 5$ in it.

There's no such thing as free public education in Cambodia, but their might be attempts for extreme ripoffs.

Hence my question.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Don’t pay it and be known in the village as the barang who is so cheap that he wouldn’t even pay for his kid to get a good education at school.

While this might not bother you, your missus will hear the gossip every time she goes to the market (which is every day), every time she goes to temple (at least twice a month), and your kid will get it too every day (as the kid with such a cheapskate barang dad that even Khmer parents pay). After getting the silent treatment for a while, you will pay. Unless you drink every day to drown out the silence. There is a social pressure to do things, if not out of pure altruism.

Just another perspective to the problem.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

With my girl (she's 13 now), we always knew who her teachers were and communicated with them.

We knew the teachers at the schools she went to would make a certain amount, and not as a bribe, but more so as a "Be a good teacher and we think you're worth more than just the school fees" attitude and we were happy. If the teacher wasn't great though, we didn't pay or transferred her.

If anything I was quite happy to pay the extra $10-20 a month (she also got private tutoring on the side).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:03 pm Don’t pay it and be known in the village as the barang who is so cheap that he wouldn’t even pay for his kid to get a good education at school.

While this might not bother you, your missus will hear the gossip every time she goes to the market (which is every day), every time she goes to temple (at least twice a month), and your kid will get it too every day (as the kid with such a cheapskate barang dad that even Khmer parents pay). After getting the silent treatment for a while, you will pay. Unless you drink every day to drown out the silence. There is a social pressure to do things, if not out of pure altruism.

Just another perspective to the problem.
From my experience your assumption the Khmer parents pay these fees with the happiness that comes with true altruism / social awareness is not correct.

I would say their natural tendency to avoid conflicts combined with the feeling they're powerless to beat / change the system makes them cough up. Not because they think it's the right thing to do.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Yes to all your questions, because you're in a developping dictature, so of course.

If not willing to pay the small amount, consequences are more expensive.

French school 4500 usd a year, if you prefer that (which i do).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic