Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

Post by Phnom Krom »

I am trying to recall an old poster's saying in their tagline...something like...
"Cambodia...don't fall in love with her as she will only break your heart"

My kids will be fine but what about...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anyone that is a barang and has a child in Cambodia is doing ur kids a misjustice by putting ur kids in an all khmer school
Pay a little more and at least get them into a bilingual school
or are u content condemning them to a Cambodian education and a future ONLY in Cambodia?
Sad for ur kids
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:50 pm Anyone that is a barang and has a child in Cambodia is doing ur kids a misjustice by putting ur kids in an all khmer school
or are u content condemning them to a Cambodian education and a future ONLY in Cambodia?
Sad for ur kids
Richard. It’s far from a little more to pay for alternate, ‘private’ schooling, and the standards can be equally variable, as we found out.
We’re just on the recovery side of a pandemic that has in equal measure upset many folks plans for years to come, and encouraged many bottom feeding mercenary company types to hide behind laws while abusing employment laws.
Content would be a misinformed word.
Dealing with it would be a better description.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

My kids will be fine.
This is a bigger questioning.
By my estimations, a factory girl with one kid would have to shell out 25 percent of her salary, hopefully, of 200 USD a month to be "compliant". Add another kid and...

So, for a nation that purports to be educating a skilled future workforce to lure in a tech and mfg base...lol.. Think bigger and profer realistic solutions...not for my kids...but for the Education Ministers son to do someting after his papa retires.
Still will be too late....garments amd bicycles forever! Only Bangladesh can compete😁
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Phnom Krom wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:16 pm My kids will be fine.
This is a bigger questioning.
By my estimations, a factory girl with one kid would have to shell out 25 percent of her salary, hopefully, of 200 USD a month to be "compliant". Add another kid and...

So, for a nation that purports to be educating a skilled future workforce to lure in a tech and mfg base...lol.. Think bigger and profer realistic solutions...not for my kids...but for the Education Ministers son to do someting after his papa retires.
Still will be too late....garments amd bicycles forever! Only Bangladesh can compete😁
It's nowhere near that much.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

Ok. Maybe not that much in province.

In PNH, It costs 1.25 a day x 22 days plus 5 dollars per teacher per month plus tuk tuk to and from. Not including nom, 500 khr per page and 1000 khr per test.

Semantics. The higher level question...anyone else?....is Can anyone offer insights or a PM to connect / to someone who will eventually rule and actually care about regular folks?
Has the West's abandonment of morals values and ethics even infiltrated the diaspora that fled to Cambodia?

Dont fall in love with her. She will only break your heart. I am trying but these words resonate. Bail! Or not?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Krom wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:06 pm Ok. Maybe not that much in province.

In PNH, It costs 1.25 a day x 22 days plus 5 dollars per teacher per month plus tuk tuk to and from. Not including nom, 500 khr per page and 1000 khr per test.

Semantics. The higher level question...anyone else?....is Can anyone offer insights or a PM to connect / to someone who will eventually rule and actually care about regular folks?
Has the West's abandonment of morals values and ethics even infiltrated the diaspora that fled to Cambodia?

Dont fall in love with her. She will only break your heart. I am trying but these words resonate. Bail! Or not?
What I don't understand is, if you're in Phnom Penh with an abundance of (private) schools (in all price ranges), why use this specific public school ripping people off? You're punishing yourself and ur kids for the greater good of the prosperity of the Cambodians?
Try to change schools, there's so many, and a foreigner registering a kid can be game changer.
Whenever something's going on in my kid's school, I show up, with or without 'wifey' and for some reason that impresses the powers that be.
Maybe try that first before getting in contact with the Big Man?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:50 pm Anyone that is a barang and has a child in Cambodia is doing ur kids a misjustice by putting ur kids in an all khmer school
Sad for ur kids
I don't get this either. There are a couple of good national schools like Sisowath or Norodom, but these are almost impossible to get into unless you are well connected. Even those students only study half a day in national school and the other half they go to language centers. You need to pay a minimum $5000 PA for private school tuition fees here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Phnom Krom wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:04 pm I am trying to recall an old poster's saying in their tagline...something like...
"Cambodia...don't fall in love with her as she will only break your heart"

My kids will be fine but what about...
Here you go...

:hattip:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:03 pm
Sad for ur kids
Richard. It’s far from a little more to pay for alternate, ‘private’ schooling, and the standards can be equally variable, as we found out.
We’re just on the recovery side of a pandemic that has in equal measure upset many folks plans for years to come, and encouraged many bottom feeding mercenary company types to hide behind laws while abusing employment laws.
Content would be a misinformed word.
Dealing with it would be a better description.
ok, yes it costs a lot more BUT as i said all u can do for ur kids is give them the best education you can. If you cant afford it in a foreign country, got back to ur country or accept the fact they will grow up as a local and with that, their future is seriously limited.

My daughters primary was an average of $6,000/year, secondary $9-12,000 and that was back in 99-2012
was it worth it > HELL YES
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic