Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Paying Khmer Public School bribes. Worth it?

Post by Phnom Krom »

Thsnk you for your feedback. Truly.
I agree with all your opnions.

May I share an example discussion with my kid.

I asked....Why no class today? Oh...teacher has birthday...or before...teacher goes to wat...or before...teacher says no school for 3 days...or before...fucl you little twat...no school for 3 days...

I asked my kid...if I paid the bribe...would the teacher teach?

You all know the answer
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

more examples...
My kod in 9th grade...
4 teachers...lol...in theory...
one teacher shows each day...50 kids...great
3 teachers no show x 50 kids...
4 hours...1 teacher...one hour...50 kids...
3 hours...no teachers

National Exam...Grade 9...coming up...

Ask why why Khmer will go the way of the dodo....duh?

Bribes won't fix this joke.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

While the school system needs to be changed it will not happen over night. It may not even happen during the time your child is at school.
Thus, your options seem dependent on, quite simply, do you, or do you not, want your child to grow up an illiterate bumpkin?

A decent education here is going to cost money. It's a simple fact of life. Now, the more pertinent question to ask yourself is, how much value do you place on a good education?
This is a valid point, whether you are in Phnom Penh or out in the boonies. If you are in PP then shop around as there are some decent schools around at the approx $5k/year/child mark, if you are in the boonies then your options will be more limited but you will have some. The common denominator across all these options is that they cost money. Which brings me back to my original point....what value do you place on the education the child receives?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 pm While the school system needs to be changed it will not happen over night. It may not even happen during the time your child is at school.
Thus, your options seem dependent on, quite simply, do you, or do you not, want your child to grow up an illiterate bumpkin?

A decent education here is going to cost money. It's a simple fact of life. Now, the more pertinent question to ask yourself is, how much value do you place on a good education?
This is a valid point, whether you are in Phnom Penh or out in the boonies. If you are in PP then shop around as there are some decent schools around at the approx $5k/year/child mark, if you are in the boonies then your options will be more limited but you will have some. The common denominator across all these options is that they cost money. Which brings me back to my original point....what value do you place on the education the child receives?
Money, or the effort of home schooling.... Or a combination like in my case.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:03 pm Don’t pay it and be known in the village as the barang who is so cheap that he wouldn’t even pay for his kid to get a good education at school.
By good, do you mean suspect and deficient?
I've lowered the bar in my expectations since 2018, and wonder now whether I just need a longer shovel.*

I'd call it a spade, but maybe the colonials would be looking for Danny Glover, so lets not go there.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Phnom krom, I do wholeheartedly feel and understand your angst.

Just this year, start of the school year, day one was child registration, which we thought had already happened the week before.
Day 2 was child registration. Huh? For the children whose parents didn't turn up on day one. Those who turned up on day one were excused day 2. We discovered this on day 2.
Day 3 was a teacher's meeting.
Day 4 was learning what room everyone should be in, and what books the parents should have supplied.
Day 5 was a play day, apparently.
Day 6 was a day buying stuff that the kids promptly lost or destroyed on day1 of next week...

There's no fixing this without a revolution, but those don't seem to go too well, either. the other option is to pay a little, and hope for the best?

Curiously, I did ask a local teacher for a cash for lessons, just for me. 1hr per week. She declined. some funny hand wavy gesture...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 pm While the school system needs to be changed it will not happen over night. It may not even happen during the time your child is at school.

Money, or the effort of home schooling.... Or a combination like in my case.
Ah, yes. Home schooling. My bad for forgetting that major option..
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

2 of my wife's sisters kids are now in public schools; each month they are asked to pay 10,000 riel each for....
Its little money

What concerns me more, they are 10 an 12 an attend school from 7:30-12 and thats it
many weeks they only attend 4 days
HOW will they ever get enough education to proceed to university in 12 years of school?
when they attended private school in Kampot, ( $250/kid/month) they went to school 8-4 every day>

in the west ( and international schools) kids are in school 8- 3/ 3:30 ( with 30 minutes out for lunch) min 180 full days/year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:00 am

Ah, yes. Home schooling. My bad for forgetting that major option..
I 'home school' my kid an hour a day, from 3-4pm, seven days a week. I teach basis primary school curriculum plus our language: Dutch. I have done so since my kid went to kindergarten at the age of three. That's seven years times an hour a day of more or less decent education. It makes a big difference. Materials I use I buy in my home country but I also use some online materials I have bought a subscription for.

For me it's not a major pain in the @ss to do it. My work is pretty flexible and out of the hour I maybe only teach 15 minutes, the rest is doing excercises and going through the results (which Khmer schools very often don't do). Plus, I have a background in education, although not in primary. Planning what to do and preparing the excercises can be a pain, but once you've created a system that's just a few minutes of work. The curriculum can be found online, I just follow that one although I only teach the core of it. No environmental issues, gender studies, gardening, etc etc, I focus on the basics:language and math.

Usually I take my kid to a coffeeshop to spice up the thing and make it a more pleasant hour of the day. During COVID I only taught at home which was a burden for both, ever since that's over teaching has eased up a lot.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

One more thing: a few years ago I bought my kid a subscription for Kobo so there was access to books. When I was young I was an avid reader. Despite my efforts my kid isn't, but my kid loves to listen to audiobooks. When my kid got interested in 'Harry Potter' I switched to Storytell. They offer access to the full library for the fee, Kobo let's you buy some 'popular' books which becomes expensive at the end. Listening to these stories surely made my kid's language improve at just 12$ or so a month. To have access to the library we have to use a VPN but that was another useful lesson learned during home schooling.

Highly recommended for bi-lingual kids in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic