Salman Rushdie stabbed in New York and in critical condition

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Salman Rushdie stabbed in New York and in critical condition

Post by Doc67 »

This is just developing but early reports are saying he is on a ventilator and is likely to lose an eye, has been stabbed in the liver and multiple other stab wounds.

Rushdie on ventilator and may lose an eye, agent says
Salman Rushdie is on a ventilator, unable to speak, and may lose an eye, his agent told Reuters and the New York Times.

“The news is not good,” Andrew Wylie, Rushdie’s agent, said Friday evening. “Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged.”

Rushdie is well known for writing the Satanic Verses and was the subject of a fatwa by the Ayatollah Khomeini and was in hiding and living under UK police protection for many years. He now lives in New York and it seems his personal security has been reduced to none existent. These religious nutters never forget.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... st-updates

Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Salman Rushdie stabbed in New York and in critical condition

Post by Apollo91881 »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:15 am This is just developing but early reports are saying he is on a ventilator and is likely to lose an eye, has been stabbed in the liver and multiple other stab wounds.

Rushdie on ventilator and may lose an eye, agent says
Salman Rushdie is on a ventilator, unable to speak, and may lose an eye, his agent told Reuters and the New York Times.

“The news is not good,” Andrew Wylie, Rushdie’s agent, said Friday evening. “Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged.”

Rushdie is well known for writing the Satanic Verses and was the subject of a fatwa by the Ayatollah Khomeini and was in hiding and living under UK police protection for many years. He now lives in New York and it seems his personal security has been reduced to none existent. These religious nutters never forget.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... st-updates

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I remember being really quite young when all the furore of The Satanic Verses was going on, and didn't really understand what it was all about. Why would someone write a book equating one of the worlds biggest religions to Satan?

Looking back now, to my mind, he was the first person to open people's eyes to.. let's just say,,, some of the darker elements of Islam.

Very brave thing to do.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:23 am I remember being really quite young when all the furore of The Satanic Verses was going on, and didn't really understand what it was all about. Why would someone write a book equating one of the worlds biggest religions to Satan?

Looking back now, to my mind, he was the first person to open people's eyes to.. let's just say,,, some of the darker elements of Islam.

Very brave thing to do.
Apparently it was not aimed at debunking Islam or calling the Quran evil or Satanic. It was a novel and only a very small part of it was considered so offensive. It is some kind of high brow cerebral offering that virtually nobody read outside snooty literary circles and I doubt if any Muslim would have given it a second thought if they were not wound up by old men with big grey beards telling them what to think 6 times a day. But that's religion for you...

The novel, which centers around two protagonists who survived a plane crash after it was hijacked by two Sikh terrorists, describes a dream had by one of the characters that’s considered to be a revisionist history of how Islam was founded, according to Britannica.

The references in that section of the book, which include a fictional version of Muhammad, angered Khomeini, who announced the fatwa on Iranian radio and called for Rushdie “to be killed without delay, so that no one will dare insult the sacred beliefs of Muslims henceforth.”

https://nypost.com/article/who-is-salman-rushdie/
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The very idea of writing about religion outside of a religious document would be enough to get some folks blood up. I would hazard a guess that there are whole departments* whose sole purpose in existence is to find insult and become offended out of all proportion.

I tried to read the Satanic Verses a few times, I really couldn’t get beyond the first few pages. It bored the hell out of me- no disrespect to Rushdie.

But any criticism of the Quran, or the bible for some folks, or even just a reference to something in there seems to be enough. Bloody lunacy

*it’s early, and I cannot be bothered to find a better word
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:15 pm The very idea of writing about religion outside of a religious document would be enough to get some folks blood up. I would hazard a guess that there are whole departments* whose sole purpose in existence is to find insult and become offended out of all proportion.

I tried to read the Satanic Verses a few times, I really couldn’t get beyond the first few pages. It bored the hell out of me- no disrespect to Rushdie.

But any criticism of the Quran, or the bible for some folks, or even just a reference to something in there seems to be enough. Bloody lunacy

*it’s early, and I cannot be bothered to find a better word
After Satanic Verses and the life changing effects on Rushdie, such as hiding and living with constant protection, very few authors would go near the subject. There were a few who tried it but it normally ends the same way.

Nov. 3, 2004
PARIS, Nov. 2 - Theo van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker and writer who had recently made a television film critical of Islam, was shot and stabbed to death on an Amsterdam street on Tuesday.

His film was about domestic violence against 'disobedient' wives (all perfectly acceptable to the Quran)
https://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/03/worl ... illed.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submission_(2004_film)

and

Deadly attack on satirical magazine in Paris
At least 12 people, including four cartoonists and two policemen, killed by three gunmen at Charlie Hebdo magazine.

Some cartoons FFS.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/1/7 ... e-in-paris
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Blasphemy! Off with their heads.

Taking the prophets name in vain

I mentioned this previously, (and I’m sure there’s a few opinions on my longevity from the region), but faithful men and women in Bangladesh and India get their hair died red- because the prophet may have originated in south Glasgow…
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:13 pm the prophet may have originated in south Glasgow…
That would explain why the words of prophets are often misinterpreted!

Glaswegians should be forced to carry sub-titles when they speak.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I guess it would have been expected, but the comments on this BBC News video from the Middle East are disturbing to say the least.

Seekho With RSR
3 hours ago
I Salute The Man Who Did It💖💖💖

rizwan khan
10 hours ago
Tribute to the brave attackers...rushdi hurt the sentiments of over billion of peoples ..

S Iqbal
11 hours ago
Let’s hope he doesn’t come back in one piece and don’t die so easy. He needs to live and suffer for his cruelty.

E-commerce Digital Marketer
8 hours ago
Allah hu Akbar, great, thank you brave man you did great job , Long Live Islam

Siddique Dogar
6 hours ago
Salute to the brave Attacker..❤

Saddan Ullah
11 hours ago
It's so sad that he survived. Sniff sniff.

-----------------------------------------

What a sick and strange world we live in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic