Road from Hell ? 20Kms Between Kampot and Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Road from Hell ? 20Kms Between Kampot and Sihanoukville

Post by John Bingham »

There are also local conditions to consider. Overloaded vehicles tear up the surface.The extreme weather can undermine any road. Even the US built PP - SHV friendship highway completed in the 60s had these issues.It was in poor condition after one rainy season.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I was returning to Koh Kong, highway 4 and then road 55. How many times had the road had trouble, and for certain, overloading truck's and the rain season will take care of the badly built road with ease.
We were to come to a halt in the middle of nowhere with a rear tire that had two rips of at least 6". So the bike was going nowhere, and it seemed like we would not too. But luckily there's a mum and pops shop, I left the bike with them, and stuck out my thumb. 10pm we had a lift to Koh Kong.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

this stretch of road has been an absolute nightmare since 2018, used to love riding this route once a month for a bit of R'n'R in Kampot (when it was a sleepy lil ghost town after 9pm)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AustralianAunt
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by AustralianAunt »

Hello, I’m sorry if this isn’t the best spot to post but I can’t find where to start a new post on my phone :newbie:

Is it correct that the road between Veal Renh (Prey Nob area) and Kampot is currently destroyed?

We are visiting and we’re hoping to travel between Veal Renh and Kampot to see friends, but it looks like we’ll have to stay in Sihanoukville now instead
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by Chad Sexington »

AustralianAunt wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:47 pm Hello, I’m sorry if this isn’t the best spot to post but I can’t find where to start a new post on my phone :newbie:

Is it correct that the road between Veal Renh (Prey Nob area) and Kampot is currently destroyed?

We are visiting and we’re hoping to travel between Veal Renh and Kampot to see friends, but it looks like we’ll have to stay in Sihanoukville now instead
Two days ago they were repairing (filling in) some of the worst craters. Not sure how much they’ve got done, but it was still really bad (there’s been a lot of rain last night and this morning which won’t help)
If you’re driving a larger vehicle (a pick up truck or SUV) it’ll be a struggle, but you’ll get there, anything smaller, will probably suffer damage.
AustralianAunt
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AustralianAunt »

Okay thank you so much for letting me know. We are heading down to Sihanoukville from PP currently.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AustralianAunt wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:36 pm Okay thank you so much for letting me know. We are heading down to Sihanoukville from PP currently.
let the train take the strain
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:38 pm
AustralianAunt wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:36 pm Okay thank you so much for letting me know. We are heading down to Sihanoukville from PP currently.
God be with you and family.

Boredom is like a shroud
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Cambodia could use some flackers like Ememem in France - a street artist who fills up potholes with mosaic artwork.

https://www.ememem-flacking.net/
https://www.instagram.com/ememem.flacking/
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... l-mosaics-
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:38 pm
Yes, catch the Hornby InterCity 12.5
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic