What rights for Cambodian working as a nanny?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Djh
Tourist
Australia

What rights for Cambodian working as a nanny?

Post by Djh »

Long time reader, first time poster. In short, my friend works as a nanny to 2 children (one not at school) for an expat single mum. Works 7 days a week, usually with no days off for 200 per month. Has to pay rent in SR which I have been told is expensive for her to live near work as she starts early.

Has been given this month off without pay and she is struggling to pay rent. I suspect she doesn't have a written contract but would she have any rights to paid days off.

I checked up the labour laws and know garment workers etc get 18 days paid leave but would this apply in this case if no contract?

Personally I have told her for $200 a month with no days off to go see her family in BTB I think she is being taken advantage of.

Anyone able to advise?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: What rights for Cambodian working as a nanny?

Post by TWY »

She is fully being taken advantage of.

We had a nanny when my wife was pregnant with our second child - she stayed until that child was about 1-1/2 years old - so about two years.

1. She LIVED with us. She didn't buy any food or drinks. So Room and board included.
2. She worked 6 days a week. Now I'd be the first to say that there were weeks that on that 7th day she helped out with the kids. I'd also say that she had friends visit occasionally during the week/make trips out to Angkor Wat with friends, etc. I paid for bus tickets for her to travel home during Khmer New Years. I paid her medical bills the few times something came up. She also ate out with us many times. My wife bought her clothes on at least a few occasions and several times replaced shirts/blouses that were damaged by the kids. So there was a decent amount of give/take in the working relationship. And she had a life while working.
3. We paid her $250 a month plus the above. I could understand $200 plus the above given the current economic situation in Cambodia - specifically Siem Reap - with the lack of tourism.

If she lived locally and was just coming to the house to cook/clean full time during the day from 9-5, then that would be different and paying her $200 a month would be fair.

Hope that helps.
Djh
Tourist
Australia

Post by Djh »

Thanks TWY for the reply, although I don't think she'll do anything about negotiating a better deal it's good to know.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Curious to know the nationality of the expat single mother.
Agree. Completely taking advantage of your friend.
I hope your friend can find a family who will value and respect her.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Djh
Tourist
Australia

Post by Djh »

I'd rather not post too much to identify the person.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

F that person, that person can suck rocks!
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

With this pay, accomodation, meals, transportation should be included.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic