New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

China and the CCP's Belt and Road Initiative is really contributing to humanity.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: New and Potentially Deadly Virus from China (called Langya Henipavirus or LayV) Infects 35 People

Post by Random Dude »

xandreu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:09 pm Why though? Why, since Covid at the start of 2020, have new viruses dominated the news agenda? Is the world really becoming more and more infected with new viruses, or is it more the case that news outlets learned a valuable lesson through Covid that new virus stories are the geese that lay the golden eggs? Everyone is now fascinated with new virus stories, no matter how 'deadly' or serious they are (or have the potential to be) and they create more clickbait than any other news based topics.

My guess is that the world has always seen new viruses and variants of new viruses, but before Covid, but nobody really gave a shit about them, except the odd exceptions such as Ebola, Bird Flu and Mad Cow Disease etc...

I accept that Covid was something to be worried about but as for the others since then, I won't be holding my breath....
I think it's a combination of media wanting clicks and the world still being a bit jumpy after the covid shitshow, the same way people freak out at every aftershock after going through a huge earthquake that flattened their city.

It's probably not such a bad thing either. If there's one thing covid, and to a lesser extent SARS taught us, it's that if scientists tell us there's a new virus that could potentially be a big problem, we should treat the virus with a bit of respect, just in case.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Honestly? Getting off the news completely and just going about day to day business, I wouldn't even notice.

I think too many of ya'll are addicted to this perpetual doomsday machine called the "news" or something.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:18 am Honestly? Getting off the news completely and just going about day to day business, I wouldn't even notice.

I think too many of ya'll are addicted to this perpetual doomsday machine called the "news" or something.
Couldn't agree more. I'd honestly be surprised if we were all still around in the next few years anyway. It's been too long since the last big global punch up and the world is clearly itching for the next big one, whether it be Russia/Ukraine (already started but who knows where it will lead), China / Taiwan, Isreal / Palestine (that's just flared up again) or any number of conflicts that could arise from the ashes of this 'cost of living' crisis / global recession that's heading our way.

You're right, If it were possible, I'd stay away from the news completely. It's just easier said than done. Take this site for example, people come here to keep up-to-date with the local goings-on that might be of interest to expats living here, which by-and-large, is harmless news, but you're then faced with a barrage of apocalyptic events and clickbait style topic titles that you just can't help but click on. And that's just this site. I could say the same about almost every site I frequent.

Largely my fault I guess for clicking on them but my general point is that the modern world seems to thrive on news and avoiding it it much easier said than done.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic