Breaking work contract pt 2 at ELT Institute

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Breaking work contract pt 2 at ELT Institute

Post by BleedingBlue »

I posted the other day about some bother my partner is in with ELT Institute / Berkely International School. She left the school after a week (during the probation period) and there is the following clause in her contract:

The premature termination of the contact, by the will of the employee alone, the company is entitled to one-month salary and other benefits that was granted during the contract and all damages.

We told them we would pay back the fee for the visa and work permit minus the salary she is owed. We got this response:

"Your 5 days working cannot be deducted from the visa and work permit fee and you must compensate the full amount. What we can do is reduce it from your 1 month damage compensation.
Please settle the visa / permit fee by Monday 4:00pm.
If you don't have a sole responsibility and willingness to settle that 1 month damage, what we will do are as follows:
1. Contact your new employer if necessary (new school already knows the situation so no worries there)
2. Settle this case in front of the Dept. of Labor
3. Further legal steps.
We hope you fully understand the consequence. Thank you.

So, seems like they seriously want to pursue her for their corrupt pockets. Any suggestions as to what to do next?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Breaking work contract pt 2 at ELT Institute

Post by Jerry Atrick »

BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 pm I posted the other day about some bother my partner is in with ELT Institute / Berkely International School. She left the school after a week (during the probation period) and there is the following clause in her contract:

The premature termination of the contact, by the will of the employee alone, the company is entitled to one-month salary and other benefits that was granted during the contract and all damages.

We told them we would pay back the fee for the visa and work permit minus the salary she is owed. We got this response:

"Your 5 days working cannot be deducted from the visa and work permit fee and you must compensate the full amount. What we can do is reduce it from your 1 month damage compensation.
If you don't have a sole responsibility and willingness to settle that 1 month damage, what we will do are as follows:
1. Contact your new employer if necessary (new school already knows the situation so no worries there)
3. Further legal steps.

So, seems like they seriously want to pursue her for their corrupt pockets. Any suggestions as to what to do next?
I didn't recall you mentioned they had paid for her visa and wp in the first post (maybe you did).

So, just settle for visa and WP by Monday 4pm and tell them fuck off

OR

get mired down in an entanglement of wp fees and one month salary payback

Technically, according to the law you are not liable to them for the salary BS
Please settle the visa / permit fee by Monday 4:00pm
- do this, chalk the week of lost salary to experience

Is it still the owners fat kid running things?

But, as they paid prob almost $400 to sort wp and stuff it changes things a little
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 pm I posted the other day about some bother my partner is in with ELT Institute / Berkely International School. She left the school after a week (during the probation period) and there is the following clause in her contract:

3. Further legal steps.

I didn't recall you mentioned they had paid for her visa and wp in the first post (maybe you did).

So, just settle for visa and WP by Monday 4pm and tell them fuck off

OR

get mired down in an entanglement of wp fees and one month salary payback

Technically, according to the law you are not liable to them for the salary BS
Please settle the visa / permit fee by Monday 4:00pm
- do this, chalk the week of lost salary to experience

Is it still the owners fat kid running things?

But, as they paid prob almost $400 to sort wp and stuff it changes things a little
I might not have mentioned it actually but we were always willing to pay that back, no problem.

What's stopping them though from pursuing this further? I'm worried they may try take this further out of spite.
Not sure who's in charge anymore. There's Madame President, Justin (her son) and some new HR guy called Sayon Hem trying to bully her into paying everything.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm But, as they paid prob almost $400 to sort wp and stuff it changes things a little
Indeed, pay for the wp + visa and put the 1 weeks work you did down to experience. Also, since your new school is aware of the situation the inferred threat of informing them will land on deaf ears by the sounds of things. Have you sought their advice btw? They might be your greatest ally in all this.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm But, as they paid prob almost $400 to sort wp and stuff it changes things a little
Indeed, pay for the wp + visa and put the 1 weeks work you did down to experience. Also, since your new school is aware of the situation the inferred threat of informing them will land on deaf ears by the sounds of things. Have you sought their advice btw? They might be your greatest ally in all this.
Yeah every message we get from ELT, I'm forwarding to our HR but they're somewhat reluctant to get too involved but are offering advice.
Just don't want ELT to put their hands in their pockets to take this further.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:53 pm I might not have mentioned it actually but we were always willing to pay that back, no problem.
You (conveniently?) didn't mention they paid for the paperwork / visa, nor did you mention the intention to reimburse the school, but this is a game changer of course. You can't expect an employer to cough up serious money for paperwork you can use elsewhere too and then run off after a week because it suits you and the place is a disorganized shit hole in your opinion. Apparently they're well enough organized to arrange the paperwork for their employees in time.

The school might have a firmer position than you initially painted. Not only did they pay for all that paperwork upfront, they also made the effort to organize it all in time. What about your visa? You organized it by yourself, or did you somehow profit from your partner's position as well by obtaining a B-extension because you're the accompanying partner?

Just pay them for the paperwork, and if you somehow profited from your partner's paperwork (visa), consider a compensation for that as well. There's no such thing a a free lunch, not even in Cambodia.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:53 pm I might not have mentioned it actually but we were always willing to pay that back, no problem.
You (conveniently?) didn't mention they paid for the paperwork / visa, nor did you mention the intention to reimburse the school, but this is a game changer of course. You can't expect an employer to cough up serious money for paperwork you can use elsewhere too and then run off after a week because it suits you and the place is a disorganized shit hole in your opinion. Apparently they're well enough organized to arrange the paperwork for their employees in time.

The school might have a firmer position than you initially painted. Not only did they pay for all that paperwork upfront, they also made the effort to organize it all in time. What about your visa? You organized it by yourself, or did you somehow profit from your partner's position as well by obtaining a B-extension because you're the accompanying partner?
Well you're pleasant.
I stated we are willing to pay back the fees regarding the visa and permit because that is what is in Cambodian law, that the employer is entitled to damages incurred. Fine.
Our issue is with the clause regarding paying them a month's salary back.
I got my own job/visa sorted thanks but glad you are so interested!
- Apologies for my tone. Currently running worst case scenarios through my head.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 pm You can't expect an employer to cough up serious money for paperwork you can use elsewhere too and then run off after a week because it suits you and the place is a disorganized shit hole in your opinion. Apparently they're well enough organized to arrange the paperwork for their employees in time.
I wouldn’t advise being too assertive in defence of ELT. They may appear to have some of their shit together, but not necessarily where it counts.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:16 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 pm You can't expect an employer to cough up serious money for paperwork you can use elsewhere too and then run off after a week because it suits you and the place is a disorganized shit hole in your opinion. Apparently they're well enough organized to arrange the paperwork for their employees in time.
I wouldn’t advise being too assertive in defence of ELT. They may appear to have some of their shit together, but not necessarily where it counts.
Please elaborate?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:29 pm Well you're pleasant.
I stated we are willing to pay back the fees regarding the visa and permit because that is what is in Cambodian law, that the employer is entitled to damages incurred. Fine.
Our issue is with the clause regarding paying them a month's salary back.
I got my own job/visa sorted thanks but glad you are so interested!
- Apologies for my tone. Currently running worst case scenarios through my head.
No, I'm not pleasant and you guess why? You come here for advice with 50% of the story. Some people read it, gave it a thought, and then provided you with an answer. You simply wasted their time, including mine.
Now, about a week later, when the temperature has gone up to a level you begin to sweat, you come up with the other half of the story complaining how you worry about it all.
As far as I'm concerned you wasted your chance to get an advice from people with experience in this business and the two of yousolve it by yourself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic