backing out of a verbal commitment to rent an apt

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

backing out of a verbal commitment to rent an apt

Post by verdebandit »

On day 1 I looked at a few places to rent and didn't have any more to look at. Without making a deposit I verbally said I was interested in renting one and we were going to meet up the next day. In-between I saw an add for another place that looked slightly better for me and was cheaper.

Over night they cleaned the apartment with the verbal commitment.

Before the time to meet up happened I visited apartment 2 on day 2 and decided it was better for.me and want to proceed with it instead.

I let the first apartment know and offered to pay for the cleaning.

After I did so they told me they wanted one month rent since they held it and cleaned it. However they held it less than 24 hours and had other units open so other than the cleaning I don't think they lost anything.

Opinions on whether or not it's ok to just stick with only paying for the cleaning since no lease was signed?
violet
Expatriate

Re: backing out of a verbal commitment to rent an apt

Post by violet »

Only paying for cleaning is 100% in my book

Learning for them might be to insist on a non refundable holding fee in future
Last edited by violet on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

verdebandit wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:45 am On day 1 I looked at a few places to rent and didn't have any more to look at. Without making a deposit I verbally said I was interested in renting one and we were going to meet up the next day. In-between I saw an add for another place that looked slightly better for me and was cheaper.

Before the time to meet up happened I visited apartment 2 on day 2 and decided it was better for.me and want to proceed with it instead.

After I did so they told me they wanted one month rent since they held it and cleaned it. However they held it less than 24 hours and had other units open so other than the cleaning I don't think they lost anything.

Opinions on whether or not it's ok to just stick with only paying for the cleaning since no lease was signed?
They had to clean it anyway apparently. You don’t owe them anything.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

How much do they pay a cleaner anyway? $5? $1?

Tell em to do one.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Thanks all. I felt like I was handling this ok but just wanted to make sure in case there was a different standard here.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Lesson one. Don't rent a dirty grubby apartment that needs cleaning.
Lesson two. When you move out make sure it's as clean or cleaner than it was when you moved in.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"interested in renting" your words
not
"Yes, i want it"
You dont owe them anything

usually to get ur deposit back, the apt/house must be in the condition or better, than when you moved in :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

verdebandit wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:45 am On day 1 I looked at a few places to rent and didn't have any more to look at. Without making a deposit I verbally said I was interested in renting one and we were going to meet up the next day. In-between I saw an add for another place that looked slightly better for me and was cheaper.

A promise is a promise, and a verbal agreement is a legal agreement too.

Next time be careful with your promises. If it was my apartment I would have been pissed too.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." Sam Goldwyn.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If the verbal agreement were worded such that the terms were acceptable, the apartment of a liveable standard, and a date to move in agreed, then I’d say yes, the right thing is to honour the agreement.

But if the wording used were that the OP is interested in renting, then the onus is on the owner to do what’s required to get the OP to enter a rental agreement. There’s no agreement, based on what the OP wrote.

The OP is clearly uneasy because he/they said they were interested. Only they know the actual words used.

I’ve looked at some absolute disasters of apartments where only a complete strip and redecoration would make them fit for human living. Where my apartment is now, the neighbouring unit had rat poison and dead rats in most rooms. The owners all wanted a commitment to rent before they’d do anything to clean them. Which gives a good idea of their commitment to maintaining the apartment during the rental. Largely, nil.
And you’re just as likely to find the apartment already leased out to someone else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic