Prisoners dying while incarcerated has increased dramatically

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Prisoners dying while incarcerated has increased dramatically

Post by phuketrichard »

wonder how many "foreigners"?

In 2021, 253 inmates died in Cambodian prisons, a huge increase when compared to 2017 when only 100 prisoners died, and has steadily increased since then, or a massive increase in the number of deaths by 232% over five years.

so seems except for drugs, Cambodia has a low prison population>>>
According to the Ministry of Interior, as of April 2020, there
were more than 39,000 inmates in 29 prisons designed to hold only 11,000 prisoners.

“The war on drugs means that the government has filled up prisons with about 22,000 drug users,”
the ministry said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501128232/ ... 7sGOOiXssY
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Prisoners dying while incarcerated has increased dramatically

Post by Doc67 »

I bet plenty of suicides. If you're 50 and are beginning a life sentence of 25+ years you might as well check-out sooner rather than later.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Was Covid a factor perhaps? 2021 was not a normal year.
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:27 pm I bet plenty of suicides. If you're 50 and are beginning a life sentence of 25+ years you might as well check-out sooner rather than later.
Why would tapping out would increase so much for that reason? I don't think that sentencing has changed that much since 2017. There is something more sinister going on. I can feel it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

mossie wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:23 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:27 pm I bet plenty of suicides. If you're 50 and are beginning a life sentence of 25+ years you might as well check-out sooner rather than later.
Why would tapping out would increase so much for that reason? I don't think that sentencing has changed that much since 2017. There is something more sinister going on. I can feel it.
I'm not suggesting the increase is suicide related, just suggesting that suicides could be a large element of deaths in custody.

In civilsed societies long term prisoners can eek out a life for themselves; they have beds and gyms and education and
TV's etc. Over here the prison conditions are terrible. Those little birds in cages on Riverside are treated better.
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:51 pm
I'm not suggesting the increase is suicide related, just suggesting that suicides could be a large element of deaths in custody.

In civilsed societies long term prisoners can eek out a life for themselves; they have beds and gyms and education and
TV's etc. Over here the prison conditions are terrible. Those little birds in cages on Riverside are treated better.
Ok Doc, but that doesn't explain anything. We are not in the most civilsed country. I think that the covid is the best guess for these stats like Chad said earlier.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Chad Sexington wrote:Was Covid a factor perhaps? 2021 was not a normal year.
Possibly, especially since most are emaciated and have weak immune systems after just a few months in.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ivan Idea
Tourist
Russia

Post by Ivan Idea »

Cambodian officials and police don't care about anything other than what they can get, money wise. Salaries here are pitiful, but you look at their homes and cars they drive. Where did they get the money from.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

mossie wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:48 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:51 pm

Ok Doc, but that doesn't explain anything. We are not in the most civilsed country. I think that the covid is the best guess for these stats like Chad said earlier.

I'm placing my bets on Karma being the cause of deaths.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

39.000 inmates, 253 deaths.
So approx 1 out of 160 each year, a mortality rate of 7 per 1000. That doesn't seem a big number.
Could the 2017 numbers be underrated ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic