Donald Trump's Florida Home Raided by FBI

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Donald Trump's Florida Home Raided by FBI

Post by Kammekor »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:02 pm
hburns wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:26 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:17 pm
This blew up about 3 days ago. Since then Trump has changed his story how many times? Each time it becomes the new 'truth' for team Trump, until he changes his story again, then the previous story is forgotten and there's a new 'truth' for about half a day.
It's just alternative facts, nothing to worry about.
The story keeps changing yes. First they must have planted what they found, then he blanket declassified when he took them, then everyone takes their work home with them … BS.

It’s real simple. What was Trump as a former president doing with classified documents in the first place? What was the point of having THESE documents in particular? Nuclear secrets? Why?
Last time when I quit my job at a highschool in 2009 I handed over the keys, I handed over all the exams of my students since 2006, I handed over all the e-mails, I handed over all the learning material and other stuff I developed while working for them (ok, kept a digital copy for myself), I handed over all the student and teacher's file (no copies taken) and all I took home were memories and the presents I received on my farewell party.
I thought that was common practice but ....
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Presidents always take lots of records with them so that books can be written.

The reality is that the Presidents themselves don't take the papers. Lawyers and staff members identify what might be needed/useful. Same with all the documents in Trumps facility in Florida. Does anyone really believe Trump has spent even a minute looking at those papers?

I hope for the sake of the DOJ that there is something there that REALLY shouldn't be there. I mean MASSIVELY REALLY shouldn't be there.

I makes little sense that in May they requested documents and Trump's lawyers returned documents and only now are they raiding the place. If it was such a national security concern now wouldn't it have been true in May?

I'm a bit skeptical of all this. Presidents take with them TONS of material. They create libraries and have people write books for them. 15 boxes actually sounds VERY LIGHT (but perhaps that is fitting for a president that didn't like to have to read). The other thing to keep in mind is that the federal government classifies the Pentagon Lunch menu as "classified". Like many things in life - classified levels have been hit by inflation over the years - now almost everything the government does has some level of "classified" in it.

Be interesting to see what they have seized that is such a threat to the country - and they better find some way to communicate what it was to the public and wht the threat was.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

TWY wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:31 pm Presidents always take lots of records with them so that books can be written.

The reality is that the Presidents themselves don't take the papers. Lawyers and staff members identify what might be needed/useful. Same with all the documents in Trumps facility in Florida. Does anyone really believe Trump has spent even a minute looking at those papers?

I hope for the sake of the DOJ that there is something there that REALLY shouldn't be there. I mean MASSIVELY REALLY shouldn't be there.

I makes little sense that in May they requested documents and Trump's lawyers returned documents and only now are they raiding the place. If it was such a national security concern now wouldn't it have been true in May?

I'm a bit skeptical of all this. Presidents take with them TONS of material. They create libraries and have people write books for them. 15 boxes actually sounds VERY LIGHT (but perhaps that is fitting for a president that didn't like to have to read). The other thing to keep in mind is that the federal government classifies the Pentagon Lunch menu as "classified". Like many things in life - classified levels have been hit by inflation over the years - now almost everything the government does has some level of "classified" in it.

Be interesting to see what they have seized that is such a threat to the country - and they better find some way to communicate what it was to the public and wht the threat was.
Whatever it is they’ve seized/planted, they had better make sure it sticks and gets him convicted, otherwise they’ve absolutely guaranteed Trump wins the next presidential election.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:46 am Whatever it is they’ve seized/planted, they had better make sure it sticks and gets him convicted, otherwise they’ve absolutely guaranteed Trump wins the next presidential election.
I got all my 2016 memes at the ready.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:15 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:17 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:30 pm
Cooldude wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:00 pm The precedent is having had an Orange Clown in the White House. A lying, thieving, mentally unstable clown. With small hands.

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help... no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks...
Don't touch that dial
"those very folks regurgitating the half truths and outright lies spoken from the idiot box by paid performers will miss your message ... So indoctrinated to believe and accept anything that comes through the airwaves, even things obviously false"

This blew up about 3 days ago. Since then Trump has changed his story how many times? Each time it becomes the new 'truth' for team Trump, until he changes his story again, then the previous story is forgotten and there's a new 'truth' for about half a day.
I never mentioned Trump, neither did the gentleman I was responding to .... I know it's difficult for some here to consider concepts in the grand scheme of things but only in 'us & them' terms .... I've not supported or endorsed Trump in this matter .... I've been steadfast it's the corruption within the DOJ and the ever lying MSM I abhor .... I'll give that anything short of screeching Orange Man Bad is tatamount to being a MAGA hat wearing redneck in many parts of CEO, so maybe in future for those not able to conceptualize an all encompassing point of view beyond political parties I'll try and be more clear., because in my point of view the line in reason & logic between those with TDS and those that support the egomaniac is very very thin.
Fair enough then, my bad. I assumed that, this being a thread about Trump and given the recent discussion you were referring to the topic at hand.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:42 pm
Cooldude wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:01 am
TheImplication wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:36 am It's been four days since they raided his house. Are there any news outlets suggesting they found anything?
No, just speculation. But this is the same outfit doing the search that used a fake piss dossier to wire tap his phones. They will find what they want to find.
Or plant what they want to plant.
I was reading about what they needed to do to get the warrant to raid Trump's place. It's not a simple process. They need to show evidence of a probable crime, evidence that they're likely to find what they're looking for ... in other words they pretty much need to prove their case before the raid and because it's Trump their case needs to be rock solid. It would be pretty hard to fake all that, I doubt planting evidence would be an easy thing to do either.

And, the judge who ok'd it, the FBI director, and the head of the DOJ are all Trump appointees.
-----------------------------------

The unfortunate reality in the US currently is that most judges will approve virtually any warrant brought to them by law enforcement. In most warrant requests there is no case provided, just a "reasonable suspicion" based on XYZ that results in law enforcement needing a warrant. Warrants can only be challenged by those affected after the fact.

I would assume this judge would have at least asked a few questions - primarily are you *$&#*(! sure about this? But then gone ahead and signed. And in practical terms there are judges in most jurisdictions that are well known for "rubber stamping" warrant requests. If one judge says no, they just go to another.

Supposedly all this is based on an "anonymous source". I hope the DOJ clearly shares what was so dangerous to national security that it necessitated raiding a former president's home.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

A few years back a judge was signing 50-60 warrants for no-knock raids a day in Michigan, reason - registered Republican. A Republican had been elected governor (Democrats tried to recall him and failed) but the rest of the machinery was solidly Democrat.

So yes, a judge can issue a warrant for pretty much anything. Raids get executed almost immediately (no oversight). More serious actions, like arrest and convictions, can (eventually) be reviewed and overturned by a higher court.

Like others posters have mentioned, multiple investigations have failed to imprison Trump for doing things other presidents (and cabinet officials or less) have done. The head and top officials at the Department of Justice have been searching for way for years. This simply reaffirms popular belief that even vital parts of the government are now partisan.

Distrust of the government. Part of the hope and change plan to fundamentally transform (aka overthrow) the government and install a new system.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Couldn’t find anything on the web related to the no-knock warrants in Michigan that the previous poster is claiming.

I do wonder though if Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend were registered Republicans?
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

TWY wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:29 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:42 pm
Cooldude wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:01 am
TheImplication wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:36 am It's been four days since they raided his house. Are there any news outlets suggesting they found anything?
No, just speculation. But this is the same outfit doing the search that used a fake piss dossier to wire tap his phones. They will find what they want to find.
Or plant what they want to plant.
I was reading about what they needed to do to get the warrant to raid Trump's place. It's not a simple process. They need to show evidence of a probable crime, evidence that they're likely to find what they're looking for ... in other words they pretty much need to prove their case before the raid and because it's Trump their case needs to be rock solid. It would be pretty hard to fake all that, I doubt planting evidence would be an easy thing to do either.

And, the judge who ok'd it, the FBI director, and the head of the DOJ are all Trump appointees.
-----------------------------------

I hope the DOJ clearly shares what was so dangerous to national security that it necessitated raiding a former president's home.
From what they're saying a few of the documents are so classified they can't even be read outside of a special room, much less openly talked about. I doubt they'll be getting into specifics there.

As far as raiding Trump's home goes ... he had highly classified documents that didn't belong to him and he's a known a security risk. He was asked to return them,then he was subpeonaed and still didn't return them. He (via his lawyer) was caught lying about having them and he has been changing his story since it started, the guy is quite obviously not acting in good faith here.

I don't see how they were left with any option other than to go and take them back, allowing Trump to keep them isn't an option. Now he's bitching and whining about the situation HE brought about. HE took documents that don't belong to him, HE put the people in charge of safeguarding national secrets in the difficult position where they had to either physically take the docs back or allow them to remain a huge security risk.

Trump caused this situation. He brought the raid on himself. He isn't a victim here but he's playing the victim, claiming it's politically motivated to presumably deflect from the fact that has been caught red handed breaking the law, ironically the same law he changed to include harsher penalties for breaking. Apparantly that law only applies to other people while you're chanting 'lock her up' though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic