Private hire minivan Siem Reap to Bangkok

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Private hire minivan Siem Reap to Bangkok

Post by down_time »

Hey I'm looking for anyone with any experience and contacts of private hire minivan transportation from Siem Reap to Bangkok.
I know taxi drivers in SR but most seem to have pretty vague connections to guys on the other side of the border and as far as I'm aware there has to be a change of transport at Poipet. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

No taxi (highlander) suggestions, I need a minivan both sides and I know there are the white public ones (or used to be pre-covid) that leave from Aranyaprathet but I want to hire a whole van not a share/public one.

Companies, individual fixers, telephone contacts, approx prices etc welcome.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Private hire minivan Siem Reap to Bangkok

Post by armchairlawyer »

There is a line of minivans waiting just across the border at Rong Kluea market. I would think you can hire an entire van there.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

just out of interest how long is the drive to BKK ?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Ozinasia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm just out of interest how long is the drive to BKK ?
Look it up on google maps and let us know.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:28 pm There is a line of minivans waiting just across the border at Rong Kluea market. I would think you can hire an entire van there.
Yes, as I said I know about these vans and you're right I'm sure you could probably commandeer and entire van but I have no desire to turn up and start negotiating. I want everything in place with van and driver waiting and the price settled in advance.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Ozinasia wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm just out of interest how long is the drive to BKK ?
About 2hrs to the border and another 3.5-4hrs to Bangkok. The border is the unknown equation in estimating how long the whole trip would take.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

I've managed to sort it in the end through the lovely Sopheak Na from her same named travel agents in Siem Reap. Known her for years, probably should have spoken to her first. For anyone interested in the future the cost is $200 all the way through, which is what I had been told to expect.

On the subject of the border at Poipet has anyone crossed there since it's reopened and Thailand have dropped the health insurance and other regs? Or anyone (@PSD-Kiwi perhaps?) have any idea on the relative busyness of the border there (or similar) at the moment?

I would think it's less busy than pre-covid because of the massive drop in tourists but then time to cross may have gone up due to Covid type checks etc?

I loathe that border crossing with every ounce of my being but that said it has improved in recent years from the wild west of the old days.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

2 1/2 hours to the border, 30-40 minutes crossing, ( the van driver needs to stamp out of Cambodia and than get paperwork,- temp import doc and such for thailand) 4 hours or so to Sukhumvit. Make sure he buys insurance or has it.
I've managed to sort it in the end through the lovely Sopheak Na from her same named travel agents in Siem Reap. Known her for years, probably should have spoken to her first. For anyone interested in the future the cost is $200 all the way through, which is what I had been told to expect.
You can fly for around $150 r/t in less than 90 minutes each way

All you need is your vaccination card and or take a testy at the border and hope its negative.
Visa exempt stamp available there., FREE
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

down_time wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:30 pm I've managed to sort it in the end through the lovely Sopheak Na from her same named travel agents in Siem Reap. Known her for years, probably should have spoken to her first. For anyone interested in the future the cost is $200 all the way through, which is what I had been told to expect.

On the subject of the border at Poipet has anyone crossed there since it's reopened and Thailand have dropped the health insurance and other regs? Or anyone (@PSD-Kiwi perhaps?) have any idea on the relative busyness of the border there (or similar) at the moment?

I would think it's less busy than pre-covid because of the massive drop in tourists but then time to cross may have gone up due to Covid type checks etc?

I loathe that border crossing with every ounce of my being but that said it has improved in recent years from the wild west of the old days.
$200 sounds a fair price. I'd never buy a through individual ticket as you're vulnerable to long delays waiting for the connecting service over the border and you have no control over the quality of the vehicle beyond the border. But as you have booked entire vans and your agent has a good rep, I reckon you'll be OK. Let us know.

I only crossed Poipet border once (in 2012). I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I remember the van getting stopped several times by Thai cops looking for illegal immigrants.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:47 pm You can fly for around $150 r/t in less than 90 minutes each way
If just me I would certainly fly. It's multiple people and kilos of baggage, hence the van. Got it down to $190 in the end as well :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic