Taxi or Grab from BKK to Downtown?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Taxi or Grab from BKK to Downtown?

Post by Doc67 »

I am arriving around 10.15am at BKK and going to near Victory monument. I know they have Grab there but is that more hassle than just finding a waiting taxi?

What the deal with chancers? Can you demand it is on a meter? Are there set rates?

Many thanks.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Taxi or Grab from BKK to Downtown?

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 pm I am arriving around 10.15am at BKK and going to near Victory monument. I know they have Grab there but is that more hassle than just finding a waiting taxi?

What the deal with chancers? Can you demand it is on a meter? Are there set rates?

Many thanks.
Grab in Thailand uses flexible rates based on distance, time of the day, and the amount of demand. I found they're generally double the price of a metered taxi.

If you want a bargain hail a taxi in front of departures. Since taxi's have to wait so long for passengers these days they'll be more than willing to take you and forfeit the THB airport charge.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:53 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 pm I am arriving around 10.15am at BKK and going to near Victory monument. I know they have Grab there but is that more hassle than just finding a waiting taxi?

Many thanks.
Grab in Thailand uses flexible rates based on distance, time of the day, and the amount of demand. I found they're generally double the price of a metered taxi.

If you want a bargain hail a taxi in front of departures. Since taxi's have to wait so long for passengers these days they'll be more than willing to take you and forfeit the THB airport charge.
I've had that with Uber in the UK. I remember an £8 fare went to £18 on a Friday night at 6pm! Over here the Grab rates tend to be very stable.

Are all the taxis at the rank metered or do you have to play their silly games of agreeing an inflated price?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:08 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Many thanks.

I've had that with Uber in the UK. I remember an £8 fare went to £18 on a Friday night at 6pm! Over here the Grab rates tend to be very stable.

Are all the taxis at the rank metered or do you have to play their silly games of agreeing an inflated price?
Of course they try...Just tell'm you will get out. There's over 50 cars waiting, so the driver will give in easily. Just add 50 THB to the metered fare when coming from the airport.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Only metered taxi's are allowed to use the stand by the way, so...

Of course it might be 'broken' or other useless shit, or they will pretend to forget. When I get in I will ask them to switch on the meter. Usually they reply with a price (500) which I refuse. After that I've never had a driver refusing to switch it on. Too much hassle since he'll lose his position in the queue so he will give in and switch it on.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Personally, here in Bangkok, my preference is to take Grab to get from my home TO the airport, as it beats hailing one off the street. But FROM the airport, I always use the taxi queue, which has been very painless for years (metered, plus an official airport surcharge).
Bo7%
Tourist
Denmark

Post by Bo7% »

I'd recommend the Airport Link, straight to Phayathai station, near Vic Monument. Cheap and reliable. Then get a normal taxi if you're going somewhere further.
Alternatively, taxi with the extra 50thb fee, highway fee and time to destination, is much more expensive. Going to Departures floor could save you 50THB if they pick you up.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Bo7% wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:04 pm I'd recommend the Airport Link, straight to Phayathai station, near Vic Monument. Cheap and reliable. Then get a normal taxi if you're going somewhere further.
Alternatively, taxi with the extra 50thb fee, highway fee and time to destination, is much more expensive. Going to Departures floor could save you 50THB if they pick you up.
^^^ Yes, this -- unless you're bogged down in luggage. Take the Airport Rail Link straight to the end, Phayathai. Here you are less than a km to Vic Monument. No traffic, no bargaining. The fare is 45 baht.

Link to ARL web site:

https://bangkokairporttrain.com

Info at airport web site:

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/ba ... rail-link/
BullDurham
Tourist

Post by BullDurham »

Getting a metered taxi from the airport couldn’t be easier.

You go down to ground level, walk outside, hit the kiosk button and it spits out a chit with you driver’s parking space number.

Very rare for them to try to negotiate or refuse to use the meter from the airport.

They’re not allowed to pick up passengers upstairs at departures and there are one way turnstiles making it hard for you to get to the curb up there.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I have found that rigged meters are more common on taxis that wait at places for pick-ups, and that includes BKK (but it would still be unlucky to get one). I have heard of pax being asked to pay fixed sums like 500 baht or even 1000 baht but if you let them know you will report them they will back down, keep the paper they give you or even take a photo of the drivers licence (in front of the passenger seat).

The airport link does get crowded but if you walk down to the front of the train at BKK, you should get a seat. There are lifts at Phaya Thai for your bags.

If you want to avoid the 50 THB airport surcharge and the small risk of a rigged meter, you can hop on the free shuttle bus at BKK and go to the Transportation Center and get a taxi from there.

The biggest risk in taking a taxi from BKK is a road accident. I know a couple who had a smash, the husband was injured but the wife died.
That's why I prefer the train.

The only time I use Grab in Bangkok is when I need a car bigger than the Corrolla. On Grab you can book an SUV.

Passing taxis are a better bet than ones hanging around for a fare anywhere in Bangkok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic