Taxi or Grab from BKK to Downtown?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Taxi or Grab from BKK to Downtown?

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:41 pm
Bo7% wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:04 pm I'd recommend the Airport Link, straight to Phayathai station, near Vic Monument. Cheap and reliable. Then get a normal taxi if you're going somewhere further.
Alternatively, taxi with the extra 50thb fee, highway fee and time to destination, is much more expensive. Going to Departures floor could save you 50THB if they pick you up.
^^^ Yes, this -- unless you're bogged down in luggage. Take the Airport Rail Link straight to the end, Phayathai. Here you are less than a km to Vic Monument. No traffic, no bargaining. The fare is 45 baht.

Link to ARL web site:

https://bangkokairporttrain.com

Info at airport web site:

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/ba ... rail-link/
There will be a bit of luggage - 1 x big suitcase + 1 cabin luggage case. Having to drag them around while having to find the train station, buy the ticket (won't have any small change, just 1000THB notes), find a seat and then once at Phayanthai having to get another taxi for the final mile sounds like a great way for Mr Grumpy to make an appearance.

Out of interest, how much will a taxi from BKK to Victory Monument cost?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for me and more trips out of the airport to downtown than care to count,
Stairs down to departure an grab a meter cab
After any flight last thing i want do is deal with is walking to the train, siting down, getting out to take a taxi to my destination
to save 100 baht :facepalm:
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 am
Bo7% wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:04 pm I'd recommend the Airport Link, straight to Phayathai station, near Vic Monument. Cheap and reliable. Then get a normal taxi if you're going somewhere further.
Alternatively, taxi with the extra 50thb fee, highway fee and time to destination, is much more expensive. Going to Departures floor could save you 50THB if they pick you up.
^^^ Yes, this -- unless you're bogged down in luggage. Take the Airport Rail Link straight to the end, Phayathai. Here you are less than a km to Vic Monument. No traffic, no bargaining. The fare is 45 baht.

Link to ARL web site:

There will be a bit of luggage - 1 x big suitcase + 1 cabin luggage case. Having to drag them around while having to find the train station, buy the ticket (won't have any small change, just 1000THB notes), find a seat and then once at Phayanthai having to get another taxi for the final mile sounds like a great way for Mr Grumpy to make an appearance.

Yeah, I'd take a taxi too with all that baggage and Mr Grumpy stirring. But I live in Phra Khanong so it's a total of about 350 (inc surcharge and tip) by highway to On Nut at Sukhumvit soi 50 and onward to Rama 4. I've never gone anywhere near as far as Victory Monument so I do not know the fare. Enjoy your visit.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Link to ARL web site:

THB 300-350 + tolls.

The station is easy to find, best use the elevator, but even then you have to do some walking. Even more walking when you arrive @ your arrival station. Hailing a taxi there might be difficult. Whenever I travel with luggage I take a taxi from BKK, the convenience is worth 10 bucks after being squeezed for 12-17 hours....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:38 am

Link to ARL web site:

THB 300-350 + tolls.

The station is easy to find, best use the elevator, but even then you have to do some walking. Even more walking when you arrive @ your arrival station. Hailing a taxi there might be difficult. Whenever I travel with luggage I take a taxi from BKK, the convenience is worth 10 bucks after being squeezed for 12-17 hours....
Sod the train, if it's anything less than $20 I'm getting a taxi.

Ground floor + get a ticket + no more than 50THB for airport charge + Insist the meter is running + track the journey on Googlemaps.

Sorted...

Thanks everyone.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Link to ARL web site:

As Kammekor says, about 350 +tolls (if the meter is rigged it will be about 600+tolls). Tolls are about 100.

BTW, you can buy a True or Dtac tourist SIM from 7-11s. Cost 299 THB. Valid for 2 weeks with 15Gb. If you buy it at the True or Dtac shop (in CentralWorld), they will install it for you. It's data only so if you want to make calls, you need to top up a small amount.

Protip - you can ask them at the shop to do a series of minmum valiue top-ups (True is 10 baht, Dtac is 20 baht). Each top up extends the sim's life by one month. That is if you may be returning to Thailand within a year.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 am As Kammekor says, about 350 +tolls (if the meter is rigged it will be about 600+tolls). Tolls are about 100.
Must have done the trip over a hundred times and never encountered a rigged meter.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:08 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 am As Kammekor says, about 350 +tolls (if the meter is rigged it will be about 600+tolls). Tolls are about 100.
Must have done the trip over a hundred times and never encountered a rigged meter.
I'd put it at a 1 in 15 chance. Near zero if hiring a passing taxi.
ThaiVisa (now Asean Now) has threads on this. Some of them say the green taxis are more likley to be rigged.
Last edited by armchairlawyer on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckDefiant
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BuckDefiant »

Did this last week. You've got it. Only nuance is watch that the meter doesn't move too fast, happened to me twice over 7 years and was a thing for a while (not sure what you can do if it is a rigged meter though). Look for something like 400B. Enjoy the Big Mango!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 pm The only time I use Grab in Bangkok is when I need a car bigger than the Corrolla. On Grab you can book an SUV.
@BKK when you get your taxi ticket there are two lanes, regular taxi and SUV, so no need to use Grab when going from the airport. Loads of SUV's waiting for customers at the taxi place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic