Excellent decision against Alex Jones

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Excellent decision against Alex Jones

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:59 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:52 pm The stance he took against the Sandy Hook thing is pretty reprehensible tbf; I remember hearing about it (feels like it was over a decade ago, idk)

I also thought that he was already in court over this stuff back then too and it was done with

Presumably he won't pay the money and will just file for bankruptcy or has done so already
Yes, the Sandy Hook Shooting was in 2012.

In fact, the timing on this is a bit suspicious to me. Why now? Why 10 years later?

PS-I am not a fan of Alex Jones.
It probably just took this long for it to finally happen.

Lawsuits can be lengthy, I doubt the process started a couple of months ago. Throw in the fact that the parents were probably in no condition to even talk about it for a couple of years at least, let alone think about fighting back.

If you have the money you can afford to pay lawyers to drag it out for years hoping the other side won't be able to afford to continue, it's how big corporations beat small business people or someone who got cancer from their product. A millionaire (Jones) can do that.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:52 pm The stance he took against the Sandy Hook thing is pretty reprehensible tbf; I remember hearing about it (feels like it was over a decade ago, idk)

I also thought that he was already in court over this stuff back then too and it was done with

Presumably he won't pay the money and will just file for bankruptcy or has done so already

In fact, the timing on this is a bit suspicious to me. Why now? Why 10 years later?

It took well over 4 years just in court....

Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Thanks, but doesn't really settle anything. The Powers That Be let Mr. Jones do his thing for years. After he jumped on the Trump Train (and became slightly more coherent), the troubles began.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Thanks, but doesn't really settle anything. The Powers That Be let Mr. Jones do his thing for years. After he jumped on the Trump Train (and became slightly more coherent), the troubles began.
Who are the powers that be? The parents involved in the lawsuit? What were they supposed to do? Interfere with the normal legal process to speed it up somehow?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:50 pm

Who are the powers that be? The parents involved in the lawsuit? What were they supposed to do? Interfere with the normal legal process to speed it up somehow?
I was speaking of the legal/political system that went after Dr. Jones. The parents are pawns, ultimately.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:16 pm

I was speaking of the legal/political system that went after Dr. Jones. The parents are pawns, ultimately.
That sounds like a lot of speculation to me. Two things jump to my mind almost immediately.

1. It would be very hard to get grieving parents onboard unless they're ready, and wanting to fight back.

2. 'If' the legal/political system has decided to put a stop to idiots like Jones spreading blatant bullshit and stirring shit that wouldn't be such a bad thing. If they have a genuine allegation, back it up with facts like everyone else has to. If they can't and they're just shit stirring for money or political reasons, fuck them.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:16 pm

It seems like you twist and twist and twist.... To get where you want to end up. Might there be a chance, just a small chance maybe, people who lost their kid, or others who lost their parent or loved one, might be seriously offended by this guy claiming they're state paid actors and the event opening their gate into living hell never happened?

First you claim the parents are suspicious for waiting so long but when that's debunked there's a twist. Now they're government pawns.

Curious what the next twist will be when that's debunked.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 pm That sounds like a lot of speculation to me. Two things jump to my mind almost immediately.

1. It would be very hard to get grieving parents onboard unless they're ready, and wanting to fight back.

2. 'If' the legal/political system has decided to put a stop to idiots like Jones spreading blatant bullshit and stirring shit that wouldn't be such a bad thing. If they have a genuine allegation, back it up with facts like everyone else has to. If they can't and they're just shit stirring for money or political reasons, fuck them.
Not speculating, but observing.

Jones has been doing his crazy act for years. He didn't get kicked off of Twitter and the like until 2018. Yes, lawsuits can sometimes take years and I understand why parents are upset at Jones' comments, but it takes money and power (attorneys, etc.) to make that stuff happen.

Again, I am not a fan of Alex Jones. In fact, I think he does a great disservice to sincere right-wing activism (gun rights, for example) by bringing up batshit explanations. Also, if we look at the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church, there is a legal precedent set that provocative or offensive statements can still be considered legally protected speech.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

he ois trying to file
Hopefully they will not allow it

Far-right conspiracy podcaster Alex Jones gloated on his program about how his latest bankruptcy scheme would slash defamation damages to Sandy Hook families and tie up even the reduced amounts “for years.”

Jones signed a Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection petition Friday to shield the Infowars podcast parent company, Free Speech Systems LLC, his co-defendant in two defamation cases. Infowars reportedly raked in $65 million in revenue last year.

https://news.yahoo.com/alex-jones-gloat ... 40304.html

in my book he is a outspoken loudmouth playing to Trumps supporters an profiting off of the misfortune of others

personally i long for pre internet days when newspapers , magazines and such were very careful about what they printed for fear of being sued
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:37 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 pm That sounds like a lot of speculation to me. Two things jump to my mind almost immediately.

Not speculating, but observing.

Jones has been doing his crazy act for years. He didn't get kicked off of Twitter and the like until 2018. Yes, lawsuits can sometimes take years and I understand why parents are upset at Jones' comments, but it takes money and power (attorneys, etc.) to make that stuff happen.

Again, I am not a fan of Alex Jones. In fact, I think he does a great disservice to sincere right-wing activism (gun rights, for example) by bringing up batshit explanations. Also, if we look at the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church, there is a legal precedent set that provocative or offensive statements can still be considered legally protected speech.

It just sounds like a culmination of normal events happening to me.
When he was just a boob on the internet talking conspiracy theories nobody gave a shit, he was just entertainment for simple minds. He was to news what the WWF is to sports, a parody of the real thing.
But then he started harming people, attacking the parents of murdered kids, when you do that there are always going to be consequences, and it draws attention. People fight back.

" it takes money and power (attorneys, etc.) to make that stuff happen. "

The parents were probably approached by lawyers telling them they had a real case if and when they were ready to go ahead with it - almost certain win, X percent of the settlement going back to the lawyers, no money required from the parents type deal. Just like the ambulance chasing type lawyers but higher up the food chain. Eventually, they got over their grief to the point where they wanted to fight back so they called the number on one of the ten or so cards they were given, and here we are.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic