Newbie on site and (soon) in country

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ecki_ecki_ecki_btang
Tourist

Newbie on site and (soon) in country

Post by ecki_ecki_ecki_btang »

Hi all. I'm happy to have the opp to meet who I anticipate to be my fellow expats in the near future.
Just got my latest passport, got my finances set and am looking forward to hitting the jetstream.

I'm going to ask one question you've all heard many times before in some form, I'm sure. I'm just attacking all avenues for information. So here goes,

I Read about a "retirement visa" for Cambodia at touristvisaonline.com. Though their reviews are either great or crap, their info may be correct. So, they say (a) get your 30 day visa on arrival, (b) fill out a form to extend the visa to a year and (c) pay the upcharge, then Bob's your uncle. I can meet the requirements stated on their site. My question is: Is this an accurate method of obtaining this visa? Is there an alternative method? (I've read of long lines at the on arrival visa acquisition site.)

I have NOT found information about a retirement visa at the Cambodian Embassy, DC, site nor at evisa.gov.kh that redirects from the embassy site.

I will be researching elsewhere while awaiting an informative response from a brother or sister expat.

Thanks in advance,
Fritz (Ecki)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Newbie on site and (soon) in country

Post by phuketrichard »

Arrive in country, apply for a ordinary visa on arrival, (Business type E visa) $35
if your over 55.....
Find a place to live, have ur landlord fill out the FPCS on his smart phone and log you in and send you a screen shot to ur phone
go to an agent anywhere in the country with your passport, screenshot of the FPCS , 1 photo an apx $300 and you will get ur 1 year ER extension>

simple
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

1. Enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month.

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an ER (Retirement) Extension of Stay (EOS).
1, 3, 6, 12 month options available, only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

For the ER EOS you will need to provide;
- Your passport, minimum 6 months validity from the intended EOS expiry date, minimum 2 blank visa pages,
- 1x Passport sized picture,
- FPCS Screenshot,
- Complete an EOS application form (most agents will do this for you),
- Letter requesting ER EOS (Most agents will do this for you),
- If aged 55+, no retirement related supporting documentation required,
- If under 55, then you need to provide official proof of retirement/pension status, and proof of sufficient funds/income

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

You also can apply directly at the DoI Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.

Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Be aware, if you get an early retirement visa/extension of stay, you are prohibited from being employed here, and you cannot ever revert to a visa type allowing employment here.
Once you step off that cliff there’s no going back.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

@PSD-Kiwi

That's quite a difference for a retirement visa from the $180 official fee to the agents usual $300 fee.

Do the DoI office make life hard when applying in person because they want to deal with agents so they get a share of the profits?

If someone is over 55 and has a soon to expire EB EOS and wants to extend to a ER visa, is it a big deal/major pain in the ass going to the DoI and doing it yourself?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:28 pm Be aware, if you get an early retirement visa/extension of stay, you are prohibited from being employed here, and you cannot ever revert to a visa type allowing employment here.
That's what's been holding me back actually, but my agent said it is possible, "Can but a lot more documents provide" which sounds to me like a big pain in the ass and a lot of money. And I cannot foresee me ever working here officially.

However, not working here but getting annual EB EOS visas forces me to use an agent and their additional services to get around the employment documents requirement, currently $70. The whole thing ends up nearly $400 which is not a lot for an annual outlay, but if I can rock up to the DoI with my passport, a photo and $180 and get an ER visa, I am thinking I am wasting $220 for no benefit.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:43 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:28 pm Be aware, if you get an early retirement visa/extension of stay, you are prohibited from being employed here, and you cannot ever revert to a visa type allowing employment here.
That's what's been holding me back actually, but my agent said it is possible, "Can but a lot more documents provide" which sounds to me like a big pain in the ass and a lot of money. And I cannot foresee me ever working here officially.

However, not working here but getting annual EB EOS visas forces me to use an agent and their additional services to get around the employment documents requirement, currently $70. The whole thing ends up nearly $400 which is not a lot for an annual outlay, but if I can rock up to the DoI with my passport, a photo and $180 and get an ER visa, I am thinking I am wasting $220 for no benefit.
I use an agent to renew my ER extension of stay, it cost me $300, but I basically sign the document he provides, pay the fee, and it is all taken care of. I don’t even sign any declaration of income from outside Cambodia, my agent says “not necessary, visa department only care about the fee being paid” (my previous agent required this document)
Yes it’s quite a bit more than the standard fee, but, it saves me personally, a trip to PP, accommodation for a night, waiting in line in the heat of the day, there is zero heavy lifting on my part.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 pm @PSD-Kiwi

That's quite a difference for a retirement visa from the $180 official fee to the agents usual $300 fee.

Do the DoI office make life hard when applying in person because they want to deal with agents so they get a share of the profits?

If someone is over 55 and has a soon to expire EB EOS and wants to extend to a ER visa, is it a big deal/major pain in the ass going to the DoI and doing it yourself?
Yes, the DoI are very strict on the supporting documentation requirements for those who apply for their Extension of Stay application directly at the Visa office, they will always try and redirect applicants to use an agent as that's their hustle, agents actually make very little profit from facilitating EOS applications.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:11 pm … that's their hustle, agents actually make very little profit from facilitating EOS applications.
Reassuring that old habits persist.

I’ve resisted the temptation to take the convenient ER option as things are still looking up in south east Asia’s aviation market. For now.

I’m curious, though. If I took an Retirement visa in my British passport, would I still be able to buck the system by using my Irish passport if job opportunities present in Cambodia?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:27 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:11 pm … that's their hustle, agents actually make very little profit from facilitating EOS applications.
Reassuring that old habits persist.

I’ve resisted the temptation to take the convenient ER option as things are still looking up in south east Asia’s aviation market. For now.

I’m curious, though. If I took an Retirement visa in my British passport, would I still be able to buck the system by using my Irish passport if job opportunities present in Cambodia?
Id presume you would have to leave the country and come back in on your Irish passport
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic