Just when I thought the UK couldn’t get any worse.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Just when I thought the UK couldn’t get any worse.

Post by paul2d »

Movement afoot in UK to boycott energy payments DontPay.uk; more here: https://summit.news/2022/08/04/widespre ... ng-crisis/
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

Good job its hot over here at the moment, or it would be sheer anarchy!!
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

paul2d wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 pm Movement afoot in UK to boycott energy payments DontPay.uk; more here: https://summit.news/2022/08/04/widespre ... ng-crisis/

You can find anything you want to support your POV on the internet, but then you check where it comes from.
The author of the article you linked to is: :crazy:
Paul Joseph Watson (born 24 May 1982) is a British far-right YouTuber, radio host, and conspiracy theorist. Until July 2016, Watson embraced the label "alt-right", but he now identifies as part of the new right.In May 2019, Facebook and Instagram permanently banned Watson for violation of hate speech policies.

Watson's career emerged through his work for conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. As editor-at-large of Jones' website InfoWars, he helped promote fake news and advocated for 9/11, chemtrail, and New World Order conspiracy theories.
- Wikipedia
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 am
paul2d wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 pm Movement afoot in UK to boycott energy payments DontPay.uk; more here: https://summit.news/2022/08/04/widespre ... ng-crisis/
Info for CEO readers - is this a "saucy" (wink wink, get it ?), no I mean a source, problem ?

@paul2d - The author of the article you linked to is:
Paul Joseph Watson (born 24 May 1982) is a British far-right YouTuber, radio host, and conspiracy theorist. In May 2019, Facebook and Instagram permanently banned Watson for violation of hate speech policies.

Watson's career emerged through his work for conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. As editor-at-large of Jones' website InfoWars, he helped promote fake news and advocated for 9/11, chemtrail, and New World Order conspiracy theories.
- Wikipedia
Yeah, I admit that I didn't even know what a "chemtrail" is/was, so I looked it up for you guys (in case you are ignorant like me) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail ... acy_theory
And while I'm looking at this weirdness on wikipedia; here is an explanation of the New World Order Conspiracy theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World ... cy_theory)
:hattip:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 am Watson's career emerged through his work for conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. As editor-at-large of Jones' website InfoWars, he helped promote fake news and advocated for 9/11, chemtrail, and New World Order conspiracy theories.
- Wikipedia
[/quote]

Last news from Jones :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rial-jury/

So yeah, rubbish ^^
rabbitoh
BANNED
Puerto Rico

Post by rabbitoh »

As if Google and Wikipedia are unbiased. As if WAPO doesn't peddle in Conspiracy Theories.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:05 pm
paul2d wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:21 am The only place worse...is Trudeau's Canada!!
Oh god, don't remind me...je suis Canadien.

Doc67 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:55 am The thought of going back to live fills me with dread. If Cambodia suddenly became unviable I would just find somewhere new and start all over again rather than going back there.
Out of curiosity, where else would be somewhere to go?

I've been to Vietnam (short time but quickly realized it wasn't going to work with the visa situation), Thailand seems impossible unless you buy a condo or a Japanese investor, Indonesia seems to be filling up with red tape nonsense (or it might have been that way for a while)...

I'm genuinely curious, because I sure as hell don't want to go "home" (Toronto) for a number of reasons, high up on the list is the freaking growing lunacy I see occurring day by day.
Well, that's the tricky part - WHERE!

I wouldn't bother with Thailand, Vietnam or Laos mostly for the reasons you mention or anywhere with this hot and humid climate and impenetrable languages.

I would be more inclined to head to Europe, either southern Spain or Italy (for the mild winters) and try to find somewhere that has things going on 'out of season'. I wouldn't stick around during high season, that would be my travel times. Plus you don't want to spend more than 180 days in any one year or you start getting trapped into their tax residency tests. If you find somewhere wonderful and settle in you might want to formalise your residency status but that is something to be considered very carefully. Europe has decent food, cheap beer and wine and good health care systems. There's a lot to be said for basics like that. It doesn't have streets full of hooker bars but I am so completely bored with those they are no longer a factor.

Further afield, and a bit more risky, is Mexico which is very much on my radar as is Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama. Plus the Caribbean is full of islands some of which must be fairly decent. It would be fun to explore.

Cambodia has an awful lot going for it, and my 5 years here have flown by, but it does have downsides too that are not going to change anytime soon, namely the climate and the lack of decent food or heath care systems and the older I get the more I am keeping an eye on what is going to be important to me when I get into my 60's and beyond.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 am

I wouldn't bother with Thailand, Vietnam or Laos mostly for the reasons you mention or anywhere with this hot and humid climate and impenetrable languages.

I would be more inclined to head to Europe, either southern Spain or Italy (for the mild winters) and try to find somewhere that has things going on 'out of season'. I wouldn't stick around during high season, that would be my travel times. Plus you don't want to spend more than 180 days in any one year or you start getting trapped into their tax residency tests. If you find somewhere wonderful and settle in you might want to formalise your residency status but that is something to be considered very carefully. Europe has decent food, cheap beer and wine and good health care systems. There's a lot to be said for basics like that. It doesn't have streets full of hooker bars but I am so completely bored with those they are no longer a factor.

Further afield, and a bit more risky, is Mexico which is very much on my radar as is Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama. Plus the Caribbean is full of islands some of which must be fairly decent. It would be fun to explore.

Cambodia has an awful lot going for it, and my 5 years here have flown by, but it does have downsides too that are not going to change anytime soon, namely the climate and the lack of decent food or heath care systems and the older I get the more I am keeping an eye on what is going to be important to me when I get into my 60's and beyond.
Portugal & Bulgaria might suit you well too. To be avoided in summer, Bulgaria also from Oct-Feb unless you like central European winters, which some do.... But Bulgarian spring & autumn are great... It will just fit your less than 180 days plan. The 180 days is something to keep in mind unless you already pay tax in another EU member state.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:49 am
wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 am

Portugal & Bulgaria might suit you well too. To be avoided in summer, Bulgaria also from Oct-Feb unless you like central European winters, which some do.... But Bulgarian spring & autumn are great... It will just fit your less than 180 days plan. The 180 days is something to keep in mind unless you already pay tax in another EU member state.
Bulgaria is not a bad place to be tax resident, btw. Low rates of tax.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yes, lowest in the EU but dealing with Bulgarian government institutions can be a challenge, to put it mildly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic