How is it where you live?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

How is it where you live?

Post by David Gordon »

A traveller goes into a shop and says “I’m looking to move somewhere nice - how are the people around here?” The shopkeeper pauses and then replies “Well, how are they where you live now?” The traveller says “That’s just the thing - the reason I want to move is where I live the people are terrible and it’s no good at all …”. Shopkeeper says “I think it’s about the same here unfortunately, you should probably just stay where you are.

Later in the same day another traveller comes in with the same question “I’m moving here, what are the people like?” Shopkeeper says - “Well how are they where you live now?” Stranger replies “I hate to leave there everyone is so wonderful and I love it!” Shopkeeper replies “I think it’s the same here, you will love it here too.”
Stay classy na
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Re: How is it where you live?

Post by Dario »

Well now, that was indeed very inciteful.

Where i live, people usually are pretty much ok.
"There's also very fine people, on both sides. On both sides"
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I get the meaning of the story, but my first thought was "It's too cold where I'm from.", and coming to Cambodia the shopkeeper here can't say the same thing.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Everywhere is the same here...
Mind your own business is the answer.
Things happen, you have no one other than yourself to blame. Unless you leave outskirt village where the community is much bonded where houses dont lock their main doors... That's about it
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Did someone discovered that the grass isn"t greener elsewhere ?
DLsea
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by DLsea »

My motto - even if the grass is not greener, its likely to be different.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

the pizza is good in Italy
work is for people who cant find truffles
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Everything is great here in Bangkok.

I'd have said the same about Phnom Penh a week ago.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:45 am A traveller goes into a shop and says “I’m looking to move somewhere nice - how are the people around here?” The shopkeeper pauses and then replies “Well, how are they where you live now?” The traveller says “That’s just the thing - the reason I want to move is where I live the people are terrible and it’s no good at all …”. Shopkeeper says “I think it’s about the same here unfortunately, you should probably just stay where you are.

Later in the same day another traveller comes in with the same question “I’m moving here, what are the people like?” Shopkeeper says - “Well how are they where you live now?” Stranger replies “I hate to leave there everyone is so wonderful and I love it!” Shopkeeper replies “I think it’s the same here, you will love it here too.”
It's a common human trait to exaggerate and generalise (terrible vs. wonderful), which demonstrates that the average person lacks critical thinking skills.

Obviously, the people living in a particular place are not going to all be the same, but it allows them to have a very simplified yes/no, positive/negative view of the world. although it's always a false dichotomy.

Anyway, the gist of the story is true: Reality is a product of the mind.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Old sayings, fables and wisdom

The grass isn't always greener
but
A change is as good as a rest