SERIOUS QUESTION

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: SERIOUS QUESTION

Post by Cam Nivag »

vladimir wrote: Then you meet a guy like Akira who doesn't tell everyone about it, and it's very refreshing to see that people can have money and not be obsessed with telling everyone how hard they worked for it.
Yes, people who are obsessed with money and how it's made are the worst.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Scott Neeson via FB: "As someone who has been through many different lives at many different levels, I now measure success simply by not wanting to swap places with anyone in the world."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Rama wrote:"Luck...the favourite word of the envious and the spiteful incompetent. It explains why somebody else accomplished something while they did not. It is a one-word rationale to justify their having done nothing with their lives. It brings everyone else down to their own level of lassitude...Luck!" (Irving Stone...and one of my favourite quotes)

...Some people ARE more competent or harder working.
People really shouldn't deal with the dilemma that successful people are more successful just because they have better luck or more opportunities. It's really no help to your own personal circumstances. It may be true, but don't dwell on it or become bitter about it.

You have to believe in yourself and strive.

success is relative to your circumstances and personal desires...and it has to be personally achieved.
Rama wrote:"Luck...the favourite word of the envious and the spiteful incompetent. It explains why somebody else accomplished something while they did not. It is a one-word rationale to justify their having done nothing with their lives. It brings everyone else down to their own level of lassitude...Luck!" (Irving Stone...and one of my favourite quotes)

...Some people ARE more competent or harder working.
People really shouldn't deal with the dilemma that successful people are more successful just because they have better luck or more opportunities. It's really no help to your own personal circumstances. It may be true, but don't dwell on it or become bitter about it.

You have to believe in yourself and strive.

success is relative to your circumstances and personal desires...and it has to be personally achieved.
I have spent quite a lot of my life being told how lucky I have been in my career. Then I stopped working for other people and started my own business... and I got told how lucky I am that the business is successful... it is difficult for people to accept that you can do things that are extraordinary.

I think there are 4 qualities that make up that "luck". Hard work, huge ability in some sphere (or more than one ideally) and most importantly - the desire to expose yourself constantly to opportunity and the capability to handle and learn from rejection and failure.

And finally, there really is an element of luck associated with some successes, right place and right time are a magical ingredient sometimes. Though not often enough for people to rely on that when they're planning their lives either.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Sounds like you've been successful by your own criteria and through your own hard work GrinchSR. Well done.

My advice for Samouth, for what it's worth would be to set goals. You need to know what you want to achieve and then you can measure your own personal success by how successful you've been in achieving them...also it's a long lonely life, and you just keep on trying to achieve your goals and never giving up. Heck, you might not achieve them but you'll get close to them if you believe in yourself.

I'm not American, but I sincerely believe goals are vitality important and useful.

"If you want to live a happy life tie it to goals, not people or things"

They give you a sense of purpose and also you'll make your own luck whilst you pursue them that will help you along.

"The purpose of life, is a life of purpose."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i dont have kids, girlfriend, wife, house, a lot of money etc..
i do have a good successful job (when i actually work)
i was successful in kickboxing/boxing
ive traveled to 21 countries and lived in cambodia for most of the past 2.5 years
i believe ive lived a very successful life, life is there to be lived, its not the amount of years in your life but the life in your years that count
ive done more things by the age of 28 than most do in a life time,
although i am getting to the age where i want to feel a little more settled
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cam Nivag wrote:
vladimir wrote: Then you meet a guy like Akira who doesn't tell everyone about it, and it's very refreshing to see that people can have money and not be obsessed with telling everyone how hard they worked for it.
Yes, people who are obsessed with money and how it's made are the worst.
I agree, they are way worse than people who obsess over travelling to very 3rd world country trying to get laid by cashiers.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i dont have kids, girlfriend, wife, house, a lot of money etc..
i do have a good successful job (when i actually work)
i was successful in kickboxing/boxing
ive traveled to 21 countries and lived in cambodia for most of the past 2.5 years
i believe ive lived a very successful life, life is there to be lived, its not the amount of years in your life but the life in your years that count
ive done more things by the age of 28 than most do in a life time,
although i am getting to the age where i want to feel a little more settled
congratulations
get back to us in 30 more years

your success is measured in the lives u have affected.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Rama wrote:Sounds like you've been successful by your own criteria and through your own hard work GrinchSR. Well done.

My advice for Samouth, for what it's worth would be to set goals. You need to know what you want to achieve and then you can measure your own personal success by how successful you've been in achieving them...also it's a long lonely life, and you just keep on trying to achieve your goals and never giving up. Heck, you might not achieve them but you'll get close to them if you believe in yourself.

I'm not American, but I sincerely believe goals are vitality important and useful.

"If you want to live a happy life tie it to goals, not people or things"

They give you a sense of purpose and also you'll make your own luck whilst you pursue them that will help you along.

"The purpose of life, is a life of purpose."
Agree; You need a destination, but it's what happens on the journey that counts.
And make the most of every day, because it (the journey) might stop tomorrow.
Captain Steve Rogers
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Captain Steve Rogers »

Samouth wrote:How do you all define a successful life?

I actually don't know if i am too young to think about this. I just recently feel like i am so confusing and find myself in the middle of no where. I don't know what to do and plan for the future. It seems like i am stuck in one place, no moving. Looking to my classmates, most of them are so successful in their works and lives. Some of them got married and already have one or two kids and they also have car and house while i have nothing. :(

I believe a man does all he can in his life, until his destiny is revealed to him. Sometimes life does that to us, it puts us in a position where we as individuals don't know what we want but it's part of life. Live life as you see fit we only live once. Love passionately, fight for whatever you believe in, never let people tell you what to do or how to think you are your own person. Money is not everything as we will all one day perish without nothing. We came to this world with nothing and we leave this world with nothing. We are but shadows and dust my friend I wish you the best and good luck remember never to give up on life. :hattip:
"HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic