Man Dies Eating Blister Beetles as Miracle Cure

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man Dies Eating Blister Beetles as Miracle Cure

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kompong Thom Province): On the afternoon of August 1, 2022, in Okhyang village, Sakrom commune, Prasat Balang district, Kompong Thom province, an ill man died after consuming some bugs, known as blister beetles, in the hope of a miracle cure.
The man had bought the bugs for 12k riels a kg. He cooked the bugs and started to eat them with his mother. However, the mother complained that they were too bitter and that she couldn't eat them after a bite. Unfortunately, the victim continued consuming as much as he could, no matter how bitter, thinking that the bugs would cure his illnesses.
Sadly, the beetles' toxin seeped throughout the man's body causing fatal organ failure.
The victim's mother is also being treated at the hospital for poisoning.
According to the doctor, the blister beetles contain cantharidin which is toxic when consumed by humans and other animals.*
ImageImage

Cantharidin is a vesicant, or in other words a chemical that causes irritations and blisters, hence the name blister beetle. Consumption of Spanish fly results in irritation to the urinary tract which in turn can result in sexual stimulation. This is the source of Spanish fly as an aphrodisiac. For all the apparent benefits, cantharidin also can have severe medical consequences and widely is viewed as a poison. The effects range from severe digestive issues, like diarrhea, to internal bleeding and kidney failure to possible death. Symptoms of poisoning can include the following: stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bloody urine and possible coma.

If a person suspects they have been poisoned with cantharidin, medical physicians are able to run diagnostic tests to check for the presence of the chemical in urine and other body fluids. Unfortunately a direct counteragent is not available for treatment. Medical professionals employ standard oral antipoisoning treatments such as stomach pumping and an IV drip.
https://www.orkin.com/pests/beetles/bli ... -poisoning
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rabbitoh
BANNED
Puerto Rico

Re: Man Dies Eating Blister Beetles as Miracle Cure

Post by rabbitoh »

It would be very interesting to know what plants and animals "work", in The Kingdom.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 pm The man had bought the bugs for 12k riels a kg.
I don’t know how much a blister beetle weighs, but a kilo? A kilo of most things would probably off a man.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

hanno wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 pm The man had bought the bugs for 12k riels a kg.
I don’t know how much a blister beetle weighs, but a kilo? A kilo of most things would probably off a man.
That’s what I was thinking, the mother needs medical treatment after “one bite” yet the son ploughs his way through a kilo?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

12k riel a kg is a price per kg. Doesn’t mean he bought an entire kg.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

You would think that the bright red colouring would cause one to pause before ingesting. Ignorance is bliss, but not in this case.
Sad.
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A friend had one of them land on her arm a few months ago. She had nasty blisters and a big welt on her arm for about 6 weeks.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

rabbitoh wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:03 pm It would be very interesting to know what plants and animals "work", in The Kingdom.
Im very interesting in well research natural plants and healing. I harvest and regularily eat Turkey Tail mushrooms. Amazing medicinal properties. I m not in Cambodia though.
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
rabbitoh
BANNED
Puerto Rico

Post by rabbitoh »

Teddy1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:59 pm
rabbitoh wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:03 pm It would be very interesting to know what plants and animals "work", in The Kingdom.
Im very interesting in well research natural plants and healing. I harvest and regularily eat Turkey Tail mushrooms. Amazing medicinal properties. I m not in Cambodia though.
Hn. interesting. Off the top of my head, my girl had me chew a type of lentil for her to make a poultice for a skin rash. I can't say it was miraculous.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

violet wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42 pm 12k riel a kg is a price per kg. Doesn’t mean he bought an entire kg.
Fair comment, but even if he only bought 1k riels worth, that’s still a whole lot of beetles.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic