Free Angkor Temple Visits

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Free Angkor Temple Visits

Post by hdgh29 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:14 am From KT today:

Meanwhile, the expats planning to visit Angkor and Koh Ker for free have to apply for a permit at Angkor Institution online. They must have copy of their passport and a certificate of residency in Cambodia for two years or more, as well as a 4×6 photo taken in the past six months.
No certificate, only visa in passport. Here is what a mate said:
"Went to the ticket office yesterday afternoon to get my temple pass. Hats off for the tourist police and staff. I was in and out in 10 min. Took my passport to prove how long I have lived here and a passport picture. That's all was needed. It will take a week to process. I didn't need any proof of residence. If you want to make things easier photo copy your passport details and your visa. Overall it was very easy."
It can also be done online, but I don't know anyone who has tried that yet.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Roulos Group here I come!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
tathom
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by tathom »

:lol: [/quote]
It was ambiguous, but no more -a friend applied last week and was told at the ticket office that it covers unlimited visits, not just Angkor Wat but all archaeological sites in the greater Angkor area. Apply once a year for free all-year-round visits. Just need a passport with visas showing continuous residence for the past two years or more. My two years is up in first week November, so I hope its still going then.
[/quote]

I'll be convinced when I read a report of a second entry on the pass.
tathom
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by tathom »

One more thought:
If the intention is to make entry free for
long-term foreign residents they could have just said that these foreigners are to be treated on par with Cambodians, which is the proper thing to do anyway.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

tathom wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:21 am One more thought:
long-term foreign residents they could have just said that these foreigners are to be treated on par with Cambodians, which is the proper thing to do anyway.
Being "treated on par with Cambodians" would mean that they wouldn't even ask those foreigners for a ticket. But how would that work in practice? The only reason Khmers aren't asked for a ticket is because they look Khmer to whoever mans the checkpoint.

I think the free 1-year pass is an excellent compromise.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Alex wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:51 am
tathom wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:21 am One more thought:
I think the free 1-year pass is an excellent compromise.
Me too, I think it's pretty generous. And hopefully when the website is up, easy to do (friend in siem reap said currently takes a week, and you have to go back to the office to collect, not the end of the world but just going once would be good)
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

I have received my angkor pass, does anyone know if you just turn up at angkor wat with it, or do you go and exchange it for a ticket at the ticket office?
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Soriya wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:21 am I have received my angkor pass, does anyone know if you just turn up at angkor wat with it, or do you go and exchange it for a ticket at the ticket office?
A friend who applied online had it emailed the same day. He got it printed out and laminated it, and went off to Angkor. The temple guards were a bit iffy at first but accepted it in the end after a lot of chat in Khmer.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It's a lovely way to say thank you to the expats who stayed during Covid.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Just an update to this topic: my 2 years is up in November, but the website looks enticing so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go. Uploaded a photo of passport, photos of last 2 visas (even with expiry date November) and a photo of me I took on my phone at home. I did this at 9am yesterday, I got an email to say the ticket was approved at 6.30 pm. Valid from 26/09/2022 to 26/09/2023. I just download it and print it off, probably get it laminated to avoid wear and tear. Easy!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic