British Expats Get Married Khmer-Style in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Re: British Expats Get Married Khmer-Style in Phnom Penh

Post by vivathedivas »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:54 am A couple of frog friends went full Japanese and it was awesome
Did they have karacroaki at the reception?
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

vivathedivas wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:06 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:54 am A couple of frog friends went full Japanese and it was awesome
As it isn't even a thing on Google, i have no idea what you're talking about. Typo ?
I've seen many photos of their marriage at the time, all i can say is that it was just their un-Japanese faces all over the photos , but it was just the real thing in the real place with the right clothes and all, in Japan. I know nothing about the Japanese culture of marriage, but i've seen some Japanese marriage pics before, and their was splendid to me.
As for me, full Indonesian Javanese style (but with an Indonesian partner). To each his own, but with style.
I'd be up for a nice Indian marriage, that must be quite something too, but then i'd be stuck stuffing myself with the buffet, big time...

The food ! That's a nice thing too when marrying abroad.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:13 am
The food ! That's a nice thing too when marrying abroad.
Right, , nothing like Maam chao and Prahok on one's wedding day...
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:13 am
vivathedivas wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:06 am
As it isn't even a thing on Google, i have no idea what you're talking about. Typo ?
Karaoke + frogs (French but now with four legs and green) + croaking sound (some ribbit some croak)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Isn't this type of behaviour called cultural appropriation in all our progressive woke western countries?

Any wedding that has no legal basis nor ramifications must be a good thing.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Isn't this type of behaviour called cultural appropriation in all our progressive woke western countries?

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:35 am Isn't this type of behaviour called cultural appropriation in all our progressive woke western countries?

Haha. The only people being offended are doing it by proxy. I think most are lying anyway, they aren't really offended, they've just been brainwashed to think they ought to be and then parrot out their lines.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I like his open mouth smile in these pics...

....I'm going to start doing that from now on.

ImageImage
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

^ haha same thing was one of the things that caught my eye. Quite an eclectic group
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Good on the couple and wish for success in their future together.

As for me, I wouldn’t wish a full on Khmer wedding for anyone. It’s too long, too complicated, and too hot outside. There are stories of entire families needing IV rehydration the next day to recover. As for me, I never even had a chance to even taste the reception dinner. Between greeting guests coming and going, costume changes, photo shoots, and the required ceremonies, Missus has to feed me cookies to keep me fainting from hunger. And I got the short version. Khmer weddings can last 5 days or more.

Was it worth it? Yes, because missus is Khmer. It’s important to her and her family. For a ceremony that might have no cultural importance nor legal binding, not something I would imagine as fun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic