Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ministry Bans Mobile Signal Booster Devices

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Mobile Signal Booster Devices Banned
AKP Phnom Penh, July 26, 2022 --
The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications has banned signal boosters and/or repeaters, explaining that the use of these devices have caused signal interferences of mobile services.

According to its statement issued on July 26, the ministry has identified that the use of signal boosters and repeaters have caused signal interferences and severely affected the quality of mobile services in the surrounding areas, through radio frequency drive tests and mobile service assessment at a number of townships in Phnom Penh.

The ministry requested households currently using signal boosters and/or repeaters to dismantle, remove, and cease the uses of those devices at their respective homes.

Additionally, the ministry asked all related parties to immediately cease the imports of devices that have yet been granted type approval from the Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia to avoid legal implications.

The ministry also encouraged mobile network operators to upgrade their equipment and technology as well as to construct additional base transceiver stations in order to expand cell coverage and improve quality of service.
By Chea Vannak
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
violet
Expatriate

Re: Ministry Bans Mobile Signal Booster Devices

Post by violet »

Their presence is prolific through guesthouses and multi-storey apartment blocks that offer free wifi
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Ministry promises severe sentences for illegal signal booster users:

The ministry also ordered an immediate halt to the import of signal boosters and/or repeaters that had not been granted approval from the Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia (TRC).
Citing Article 84 of the Law on Telecommunications, it said: “Those who are responsible for the establishment, installation, utilisation, or modification of telecommunication infrastructure and network or telecommunication equipment to cut off, disturb, or interfere with telecommunication infrastructure shall be sentenced to prison from one to five years and fined from two million to 10 million riel [$500 to $2,500]”.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... l-boosters
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Nice to see the Ministry on the ball......
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

"Additionally, the ministry asked all related parties to immediately cease the imports of devices that have yet been granted type approval from the Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia to avoid legal implications." So, does that mean if it is approved, then it is okay? Is it really all or certain strengths? This ban seems very general and if that is the case, lazy.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

violet wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:29 pm Their presence is prolific through guesthouses and multi-storey apartment blocks that offer free wifi
Do you mean 4G boosters, or wifi repeaters?

It would not be surprising if the market were flooded with poor quality devices for either service, courtesy of our friends up norf.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:24 pm
violet wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:29 pm Their presence is prolific through guesthouses and multi-storey apartment blocks that offer free wifi
Do you mean 4G boosters, or wifi repeaters?

It would not be surprising if the market were flooded with poor quality devices for either service, courtesy of our friends up norf.
Repeaters
But I may have merged boosters and repeaters when registering the existence of a device. I doubt myself now you have queried but memory has them stored as repeaters
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

How do you put wifi around a hotel without them?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

One to five years prison seems very reasonable.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

violet wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:17 am
Repeaters
But I may have merged boosters and repeaters when registering the existence of a device. I doubt myself now you have queried but memory has them stored as repeaters
I would hazard a guess that the ministry is concerned with Cellphone signal boosters, and not wifi boosters/repeater/extenders.

The cellular network is reliant on towers, which are the domain of the Cellular companies. Dotted around everywhere. In some places, there are gaps in cellular coverage, and either poor 4G, 3G, or even basic cellular signal.

Some areas will have better coverage, because of consumer demand- the various antenna equipment is going to be costly, and require maintenance, so commercially pointless if the target audience is 1000sheep, whereas 1000 phone subscribers on Facebook 18hrs a day means revenue.
Another reason for gaps is environment. The tower has to go somewhere. So, in the middle of Tonle Sap, cell reception is going to be lower than in the middle of Siem Reap. The nearest towers are further away, and signal is attenuated with distance. Ideally, as you move further away from one tower, your phone will connect with another.
Range of signal measured in kilometres.
This is where boosters may be useful. But only if properly controlled. If they are indiscriminately installed without thought about location, they’ll be creating artificial cell towers, all jockeying for connection. And resulting in disruption.

Wi-fi on the other hand, is how you connect to a local internet network router. Some confusion comes when the term Wi-fi is used interchangeably but erroneously, to describe cellular internet connection. Wi-if signal tends to be of the order of 100~200meters. It is also heavily dependent on location. Concrete walls will rapidly attenuate signal strength, even to the point of the router being directly outside a hotel room, but signal inside being less than half strength.
Thus, repeaters. I have one, here. Back in the UK, at my mothers place, I have 3. Hers is an old house, with solid walls. Modern houses often being flimsier don’t kill the signal so quickly. I also have an office/workshop at the end of her garden, which is too far for even the first repeater, so I have a second.

Communications repeaters and boosters are not uncommon. In the old days of Morse code, an intermediate station might copy the message, and transmit it again, to be received at the intended station.
Nowadays, we have satellite networks. But as technology improves, there’s often a downside. A lot of communications are reliant on line of sight. Put a mountain, or a building in the way, and signal can be lost.

So think about this. Smart at home is a 4G router, that receives a cellular signal, and produces a local Wi-fi network. The connection to the Smart router might be perfect, and you’ll have a maximum strength wi-if connection to that router. But if you aren’t in a Smart reception area, your smart Router will not have a connection to the Smart 4G network.
Last edited by Freightdog on Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic