ABA credit card - renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

ABA credit card - renewal

Post by Pizzalover »

My ABA cc will expire in August. I tried to get the new one this month but the lady at the branch told me to do it in August. Does anyone have experience with this? Old cc, account book, passport should be enough? How many days does it take before I will get the new card?
Thanks for any input.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: ABA credit card - renewal

Post by Freightdog »

Credit card or debit/ATM card?

We requested a new Debit/ATM card via the mobile app.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Just explain that you are travelling overseas and will be out of the country in August, so you need the new card before you leave, that's what I did last time when my debit card was a couple months away from expiry. Took about 1 week for the replacement to arrive.

At least with Debit Cards don't even need to go into a branch and wait for the card to be delivered anymore, can get instantly from a machine...
https://www.ababank.com/aba-news/issue- ... d-machine/
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

It is a credit card. I am outside the country right now so timing is an issue.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Is there not an option to request a new Credit Card via the ABA app?

Also, worse case scenario, you can get a Virtual Card via the mobile app to use until you can get a replacement.

I've never bothered with a credit card, because in Cambodia they're not much different from a debit card since you have to maintain 70-80% of the credit limit in an account anyway, seems pointless to me.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:48 am It is a credit card. I am outside the country right now so timing is an issue.
I was told that I have to come in person to renew my ABA credit card. I asked specifically because I noticed they now have these card printing machines. (For a debit card, in PP, you can now self-print a new one at one of the card printing machines.)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Does ABA actually issue CREDIT cards? I need one for car hire as most companies don't accept debit cards.

How do you qualify for a credit card anyway? Would a deposit of the credit granted be required?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:12 pm Does ABA actually issue CREDIT cards? I need one for car hire as most companies don't accept debit cards.

How do you qualify for a credit card anyway? Would a deposit of the credit granted be required?
I've rented a half dozen times in different countries using my ABA debit card

It does require a deposit of $500 or so and buying full rental insurance but I always do that anyway

Yeah, for the cc here you have to escrow almost the credit limit and still get shafted on interest rates so I don't see any benefit, personally
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:38 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:12 pm Does ABA actually issue CREDIT cards? I need one for car hire as most companies don't accept debit cards.

It does require a deposit of $500 or so and buying full rental insurance but I always do that anyway

Yeah, for the cc here you have to escrow almost the credit limit and still get shafted on interest rates so I don't see any benefit, personally
I won't be using the thing for purchases, it is solely for car hire, and I am informed that a CC is a must - they won't accept debit cards (it's in Mexico).

I have found the ABA website page about the CC's they offer. It seems they are all fully collateralised via the main account. Does that mean they will simply apply a minimum balance on my account to cover the CC limit?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:38 pm

I won't be using the thing for purchases, it is solely for car hire, and I am informed that a CC is a must - they won't accept debit cards (it's in Mexico).

I have found the ABA website page about the CC's they offer. It seems they are all fully collateralised via the main account. Does that mean they will simply apply a minimum balance on my account to cover the CC limit?
Do you still have a bank in UK? if so some banks have virtual credit cards these days. could be more useful than a Cambodian one too
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic