Hotel recommendation - Phnom Penh and Siem Reap??

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Hotel recommendation - Phnom Penh and Siem Reap??

Post by Cambo Dear »

My wife, daughter and I will be heading to Cambodia for a visit in October. We will spend around a week in PP and then about a week in SR. Could anyone recommend a hotel for either or both locations? A swimming pool would be great - doesn't have to be Olympic-sized, but my daughter, who is 11, loves a swim. We don't have any specific location requirements, but not too far from the touristy centres of both towns. Budget is definitely a factor (and I might be well out of the loop here), but I was hoping for not more than 40 USD a night. It's been a while since we were last there and any recommendation would be gratefully received. Thanks.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Hotel recommendation - Phnom Penh and Siem Reap??

Post by CaptainCanuck »

My favourite place in SR is Garden Village on Sok San Road.
They have a very clean pool; inexpensive and delicious food; a proper coffee shop; the owners and staff are awesome. Spacious air con rooms are $12-$14 if I remember right. It’s a bit dated but rooms are for sleeping right ;-)

Right down the street is VLT Bar, if you have a hunger for authentic British pub food at very reasonable prices, the lamb stew is my favourite!! Pub street is less than a 5 minute walk. There’s great Italian and Mexican nearby as well.

I’ve a tuk tuk guy as well. Tino is punctual and accommodating, he knows SR & Angkor Wat like the back of his hand and will take you to the Khmer places for meals the other tuk tuk drivers go to for cheap Khmer eating.
Pope2Pope
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pope2Pope »

My go to hotel in PP is Okay Boutique Hotel, great staff, location, pool and rooms

https://www.agoda.com/en-gb/okay-boutiq ... nh-kh.html
“The journey, not the arrival, matters.”
– T. S. Eliot
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I suggest you check on booking.com about 3 days before you arrive and see what deals are available. Use the app as you get better deals.

You will need 2 beds so that will limit your options as most rooms only have one large bed. Just key that into the filters and see what comes up.
The pools at Ohana and at Harmony are good. The one at Okay Boutique less so but the Okay has bigger rooms. IMHO, the location of Okay sucks as you have to deal with the tuktuk mafia outside or the busy traffic on 19. All of these hotels are around the $40 mark, usually. OKay includes breakfast (quite good but horrible coffee).

In SR the Siem Reap Palace Hotel is good. You get more for your money in SR compared to PP.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

All really useful pointers - I'll check out their websites. Much appreciated thanks 👍
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Last visit in Siem Reap we stayed in Steung Siem Reap Hotel. We payed only $25 but that was beginning of the year. Looking Agoda, it's currently $45 in October. Nice size pool, buffet breakfast and excellent service. Pub street and riverside are just under 50 meters away so it's middle of the city but still really quiet in room and pool area as the hotel is on side street
Buck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Buck »

In PP with wife and young daughter in tow, I would recommend the Palace Gate Resort. It is in the old colonial French administration building, right next to the elephant gate of the Royal Palace. I would book via Agoda and In the remarks section of booking ask for a room(s) on a higher floor with a view. Prices for a deluxe room with a view will vary between $60-$120 a night.

Or, depending on budget and desire, you could book a suite at the Rosewood. They offer western 5 star amenities at western 5 star prices. $400- $650 a night. They also have arguably the best skybar in PP.

Just my .02

B
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Buck wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:10 pm In PP with wife and young daughter in tow, I would recommend the Palace Gate Resort. It is in the old colonial French administration building, right next to the elephant gate of the Royal Palace. I would book via Agoda and In the remarks section of booking ask for a room(s) on a higher floor with a view. Prices for a deluxe room with a view will vary between $60-$120 a night.

Or, depending on budget and desire, you could book a suite at the Rosewood. They offer western 5 star amenities at western 5 star prices. $400- $650 a night. They also have arguably the best skybar in PP.

Just my .02

B
Did you read the opp $40 a night not $400 I'd add some expletives but you probably know already. :facepalm:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rabbitoh
BANNED
Puerto Rico

Post by rabbitoh »

You can have a very satisfying room for 25 bucks, with a small pool.
You can still have a nice one for 15.
Most a the guys on here are the under 10 crowd (which is fine, and well not the overposters).
Whatever's on Booking dot com, you can bet they're overpriced and there are ten times more hotels on the ground.
You have walk-up negotiating power too, as long as it's not with all your luggage in tow (unless they're stonewalling on Cobid gouge).
Guys here like to brag a bit about everything.
Keep in mind, if you, god knows why, pay 60 bucks for a room, they will all know where you stay, your tuk tuk will cost ten every time, and dinner will be 20, thus defeating your budget and distancing yourself from a more..grassroots..Cambodian experience. I mean if I had my little girl along, I get it..just don't do the ivory tower thing.
Have fun!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Another thing, in both PP and SR, you can bargain room prices at hotels. Just ask if they can do you a "special price" if you book for the entire week.
PP will be more expensive than SR, but October is still off season. They want customers, so don't be shy to ask. Most Cambodian hotels are open for negotiating a better room price if you commit to stay a week or more, so ask them directly by email before you book if they can do a deal - either a cheaper price or an upgraded room.
Ask them nicely and you might be surprised. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic