Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

Post by phuketrichard »

THAI NEWS REPORTS: The foreigner with monkeypox is believed to have fled Thailand by swimming across a river to Cambodia yesterday evening

.............Recently, reporters have been revealed by security officials along the Thai-Cambodian border in Sa Kaeo province with photos of the travel coordinates of a 27-year-old Nigerian man, the first 'smallpox' patient in Thailand, who showed up at Ban Khlong Luek. Sa Kaeo Province and there is a report from the police that Found movement in the area of ​​Khlong Luek, Aranyaprathet District, preparing to flee the country through natural channels that There is a new road route heading to the Thai-Cambodian Friendship Bridge or the Nong Ian-Satrung Bat Bridge. which the bridge has not been officially opened. Then turn left onto Highway 3511, walk into the natural channel under the bridge and swim across to the Cambodia side. Around 7:00 p.m. yesterday Before someone was picked up, they continued their journey towards Sihanoukville. Cambodia
https://www.matichon.co.th/region/news_3468589
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Hey Rickie .... while your fear of every touted virus is expected, at least get your diseases straight ...... This fellow has ‘smallpox’ ..... not monkeypox (shingles) ..... sheesh ...... :facepalm:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 am Hey Rickie .... while your fear of every touted virus is expected, at least get your diseases straight ...... This fellow has ‘smallpox’ ..... not monkeypox (shingles) ..... sheesh ...... :facepalm:
Technically you are correct, however, it's a bad translation.

The original news story in Thai says 'ฝีดาษลิง', which translates as Monkey Pox.

The last part of that Thai word ลิง says 'ling' which is Thai for monkey.

:hattip:
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:00 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 am Hey Rickie .... while your fear of every touted virus is expected, at least get your diseases straight ...... This fellow has ‘smallpox’ ..... not monkeypox (shingles) ..... sheesh ...... :facepalm:
Technically you are correct, however, it's a bad translation.

The original news story in Thai says 'ฝีดาษลิง', which translates as Monkey Pox.

The last part of that Thai word ลิง says 'ling' which is Thai for monkey.

:hattip:

I stand corrected .... Please ignore my comment ....

Rickie's attempt at injecting fear amongst the masses over the newest malady is technically correct ... I will now bolt the gate and sick the hounds on strangers who approach my domicile as penance.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Just a poor translation. He is, indeed, Thailand's first official monkeypox case.

Here's the fun part though: He was on overstay since last year. So he must have caught it locally, in Thailand (Phuket). Just how many cases have slipped through already?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501118187/ ... JGjCOQOx-8
attempt at injecting fear amongst the masses over the newest malady is technically correct
i am posting a story, if u want take it as spreading fear, up to you
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

^^Well no offense, but how else do you want people to take it?

Spreading the good word of light, happiness and positivity?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

SlowJoe wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:20 pm ^^Well no offense, but how else do you want people to take it?

Spreading the good word of light, happiness and positivity?
Also not intending any offense here, but I'd take it as a word of caution. If I heard there was a nasty new strain of herpes or something circulating in the red light areas and I knew people who went there regularly, I'd tell them. What they do with that would be up to them.

Light, happiness, and positivity are all good but I reckon if there's a new pox out there it's good to know about it.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Monkeypox lol; while it looks like it sucks to have; it's definitely way overhyped
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

got me wondering how/where he got it>
“He arrived in Thailand in October of last year and stayed at his condominium since November of last year. He had not arrived recently as a tourist as was first believed.”

Dr Kusak Kukiattikoon, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) told the Phuket Express, “He went to a hospital on July 16th. He was allowed to go back to his condominium in Kathu while he was waiting for the result.”

“He told us he went to entertainment venues in Patong two to three weeks before. He revealed he had unprotected sex with a female of unconfirmed nationality and identity.” Dr. Kusak stated.

“The first medical result on July 18th confirmed the man has been infected with monkey pox. The hospital contacted him immediately but failed to reach him.” Dr. Kusak explained.

When reporters asked about the Nigerian man’s visa situation, police have now confirmed that he was on overstay and they believe him fleeing was more due to his overstay status than the monkeypox.
https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/07/22 ... -overstay/
Monkeypox spreads in different ways. The virus can spread from person-to-person through: respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex. touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids.
Experts assure a pandemic-weary world that the monkeypox virus does not transmit as easily as the highly contagious COVID-19 virus. While COVID-19 can linger in the air in tiny aerosolized particles that can travel some distance, monkeypox is mostly spread through direct contact with open wounds, sores, and scabs from the infection.
It would seem that there cant be that many Nigerians running around Sihanoukville , maybe he got a job at a call center :beer3:

I for one, am not to worried about catching it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic