Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:17 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:47 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 pm
WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 pm

So you're saying something that occurs regularly throughout nature is unnatural. And even though homosexual behavior is in engaged in by hundreds (possibly thousands) of species of animals, you don't think it's normal. I think it obvious you don't understand the definition of "obvious".
I dont think it occurs regularly through nature.
You don't think it occurs regularly throughout nature, but, well, you've never actually looked at the evidence, have you, Willie? Or if you have, it's impossible for you to accept because of certain beliefs. And we all know that the definition of "belief" is accepting something to be true without proof. So the whole concept of evidence, proof or truth, is not exactly in your arsenal when it comes to formulating informed opinions or discerning what's fact.
The guy literally states, “it’s his opinion, it’s fine if you don’t like his opinion, and he’s not forcing it on anyone”, and yet he’s being treated like he’s advocating for a mob to hunt down gays (and anyone who disagrees with him) and burn them at the stake.
I don’t necessarily agree with his opinions, but come on, are different views and opinions no longer allowed? If so, it’s not much of a forum.
I think calling out individuals who hold opinions such as homosexual acts being unnatural is important, so is calling out the racists or bigots and other intolerants. Personally, I don't think there's a place for this type of thought and will try to discourage it along with other prejudices.
I can see you view yourself as a protector of the innocent but I assure you sir, you are not .... a bully who thinks anyone who doesn’t share his individual worldview should be silenced and banished to the hinterland perhaps, but I assure you ... no adults visiting this small part of the internet needs your personal sanitizing of anyone else’s opinions.

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:24 am
Alex wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 am Obviously, many STDs spread just fine by means of the old in and out - heterosexual vaginal intercourse.
Looking at the data, we can see that MSM are much more likely to contract and transmit STDs.
In 2014, gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men accounted for 83% of primary and secondary syphilis cases where sex of sex partner was known in the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm
In 2019, MSM accounted for 69% of new HIV diagnoses in the United States.
https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview ... statistics
But is that because of the "unnatural sex acts" they perform, or rather than - men being men - them having plenty of opportunity to screw around more with many different partners?

If Willie had said something like "fucking around with many people instead of being in a monogamous longterm relationship is being punished", it would have been hard to argue the fact that people who frequently change sex partners are at a higher risk of catching (and spreading) STDs.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Alex wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 am
Alex wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 am Obviously, many STDs spread just fine by means of the old in and out - heterosexual vaginal intercourse.
Looking at the data, we can see that MSM are much more likely to contract and transmit STDs.
In 2014, gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men accounted for 83% of primary and secondary syphilis cases where sex of sex partner was known in the United States.
But is that because of the "unnatural sex acts" they perform, or rather than - men being men - them having plenty of opportunity to screw around more with many different partners?

If Willie had said something like "fucking around with many people instead of being in a monogamous longterm relationship is being punished", it would have been hard to argue the fact that people who frequently change sex partners are at a higher risk of catching (and spreading) STDs.

Why is the truth so offensive to you .... Clearly as the stats prove, male homosexual relations are the leading cause of STD's.

His terminology might be rough but the stats bare him out .... While your sanitized version is totally misleading .... Personally I prefer hard truths to comforting lies .... But hey that's just me .... Oh yeah, personal opinions not vetted but the standing committee of purity is verboten .... My apologies.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Just to be extra clear, asi know there's people out there who would love to read as wrongly as possibly into what I say, I have nothing against gays, but when maybe 5% of the population (not sure what % of Americans are gay men, but guessing around 5%?) are getting 69% of all new HIV cases and 83% of all new syphilis cases, that seems like maybe there's an elephant in the room that some people don't want to see for whatever reason? That sounds like they're being waaaaaaay overrepresented, no? Does "men just being men"really explain it? That's around 5% of the population getting way more than 10 TIMES what they statistically should be getting, if all sexual acts were equally risky.

*And apologies again to anyone who thinks simply discussing this somehow implies that you have something against gays, that's just silly.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Perhaps a combination of both. Aside from STDs, LGBT individuals have higher rates of alcohol/drug abuse, eating disorders and suicide attempts. These things are not inherently related to sexual behavior.

One side says this is because society does not accept, while the other side argues that homosexuals are inherently pathological/mentally ill.

My general point with regards to monkeypox is that 2% of the population produces the overwhelming majority of cases. It is possible for the 2% to adjust their behavior and reduce these numbers.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:17 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:47 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 pm
WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 pm

So you're saying something that occurs regularly throughout nature is unnatural. And even though homosexual behavior is in engaged in by hundreds (possibly thousands) of species of animals, you don't think it's normal. I think it obvious you don't understand the definition of "obvious".
I dont think it occurs regularly through nature.
You don't think it occurs regularly throughout nature, but, well, you've never actually looked at the evidence, have you, Willie? Or if you have, it's impossible for you to accept because of certain beliefs. And we all know that the definition of "belief" is accepting something to be true without proof. So the whole concept of evidence, proof or truth, is not exactly in your arsenal when it comes to formulating informed opinions or discerning what's fact.
The guy literally states, “it’s his opinion, it’s fine if you don’t like his opinion, and he’s not forcing it on anyone”, and yet he’s being treated like he’s advocating for a mob to hunt down gays (and anyone who disagrees with him) and burn them at the stake.
I don’t necessarily agree with his opinions, but come on, are different views and opinions no longer allowed? If so, it’s not much of a forum.
I think calling out individuals who hold opinions such as homosexual acts being unnatural is important, so is calling out the racists or bigots and other intolerants. Personally, I don't think there's a place for this type of thought and will try to discourage it along with other prejudices.
I think we’re hovering in “thought police” territory here, homosexual acts may well be natural, for homosexuals, but those acts may well be distasteful to the minds of others, in the same way that certain heterosexual acts may be considered unnatural or distasteful to some heterosexual people.
Thinking a sexual act is unnatural, is not the same as saying that it is unacceptable, people are entitled to their opinions, as are you.
At the risk of being crass here, not all women are into giving oral to their male partners, considering the act unnatural, while plenty of other women think it’s perfectly “normal” to do so.
Should the women who think it’s unnatural be considered intolerant, or bigots? and be silenced because another party considers their own opinion to be superior?
There’s a big problem in the world these days, with people claiming the moral high ground, and insisting on other people being cancelled for their opinions and beliefs, supposedly in the name of tolerance, while showing zero tolerance for the opinions of others.
Live and let live, and sometimes we need to agree to disagree.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 am
WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm Now before you have sissy meltdown lets take a look at what I said ...

In my opinion unnatural sex like males on males anal sex or bestiality ....is being 'punished' if you like , by mother nature.
Kind of obvious i think.

And if you dont like my opinion that is fine.....
Its just my opinion and Im not forcing it on anyone.
As the saying goes ,,,where everyone thinks the same, no one thinks at all.
Well, it's debatable what's 'natural' and what's 'unnatural' IMHO.

For instance, what's more natural? A man having protected sex with a woman, or two men having unprotected sex?
Indeed.

Some random google definitions:
as found in nature and not involving anything made or done by people
existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind.
in accordance with the nature of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something.
So is it natural because it is found in the animal kingdom? Or, merely because it exists? And to complicate matters further, isn't it the ability to reason what sets humans apart from animals?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:46 am

Why is the truth so offensive to you .... Clearly as the stats prove, male homosexual relations are the leading cause of STD's.

His terminology might be rough but the stats bare him out .... While your sanitized version is totally misleading .... Personally I prefer hard truths to comforting lies .... But hey that's just me .... Oh yeah, personal opinions not vetted but the standing committee of purity is verboten .... My apologies.
If you had actually read what I wrote, you should have realized that I didn't argue the stats. I just think it's more prevalent promiscuous behavior rather than "unnatural sex acts" that is the main cause for the "punishment" by means of suffering from STDs.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

You are the intolerant and bigoted one.
Heres a tip for you. 5. Don't cry if someone said something you don't like... it's the internet... there will be a lot of that from time to time. Man up, ignore it (or them, using the 'foe' function) and move on.
Be your own toy.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

WillieW wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:31 pm You are the intolerant and bigoted one.
Heres a tip for you. 5. Don't cry if someone said something you don't like... it's the internet... there will be a lot of that from time to time. Man up, ignore it (or them, using the 'foe' function) and move on.
OK, enough personal bickering/recriminations. Both of you have made your respective view points clear. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that please. There is nevertheless a robust discussion, so let's stick to that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic