Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 pm
WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm Now before you have sissy meltdown lets take a look at what I said ...

In my opinion unnatural sex like males on males anal sex or bestiality ....is being 'punished' if you like , by mother nature.
Kind of obvious i think.

And if you dont like my opinion that is fine.....
Its just my opinion and Im not forcing it on anyone.
As the saying goes ,,,where everyone thinks the same, no one thinks at all.
So you're saying something that occurs regularly throughout nature is unnatural. And even though homosexual behavior is in engaged in by hundreds (possibly thousands) of species of animals, you don't think it's normal. I think it obvious you don't understand the definition of "obvious".
I dont think it occurs regularly through nature.
You don't think it occurs regularly throughout nature, but, well, you've never actually looked at the evidence, have you, Willie? Or if you have, it's impossible for you to accept because of certain beliefs. And we all know that the definition of "belief" is accepting something to be true without proof. So the whole concept of evidence, proof or truth, is not exactly in your arsenal when it comes to formulating informed opinions or discerning what's fact.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

STIGMA

Despite now effective treatment and education efforts, monkeypox stigma continues to be problematic in developing countries where the disease is common. Monkeypox is most common amongst impoverished populations where social stigma is likely to be compounded by poverty. Fears of ostracism, loss of employment, or expulsion from family and society may contribute to a delayed diagnosis and treatment.

Folk beliefs, lack of education, and religious connotations of the disease continue to influence social perceptions of those affected in many parts of the world. In Brazil, for example, folklore holds that monkeypox is a disease transmitted by dogs, or that it is associated with sexual promiscuity, or that it is a punishment for sins or moral transgressions (distinct from other diseases and misfortunes, which are in general thought of as being according to the will of God). Socioeconomic factors also have a direct impact. Lower-class domestic workers who are often employed by those in a higher socioeconomic class may find their employment in jeopardy as physical manifestations of the disease become apparent. Skin discoloration and darker pigmentation resulting from the disease also have social repercussions.

Monkeypox
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

But, Willie w...
Animals sometimes are gay !
Maybe your animal of company have special views on you ? (Let me guess...peacock ?)

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm In my opinion unnatural sex like males on males anal sex or bestiality ....is being 'punished' if you like , by mother nature.
Kind of obvious i think.
I'm a bit at a loss what exactly you consider "unnatural sex". Anything that isn't strictly required for reproduction? Or where else do you draw the line?

Obviously, many STDs spread just fine by means of the old in and out - heterosexual vaginal intercourse. Where's the "unnatural" element there?

It sounds a lot like bigoted bollocks to me, happy to be enlightened though.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 pm
WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm Now before you have sissy meltdown lets take a look at what I said ...

In my opinion unnatural sex like males on males anal sex or bestiality ....is being 'punished' if you like , by mother nature.
Kind of obvious i think.

So you're saying something that occurs regularly throughout nature is unnatural. And even though homosexual behavior is in engaged in by hundreds (possibly thousands) of species of animals, you don't think it's normal. I think it obvious you don't understand the definition of "obvious".
You don't think it occurs regularly throughout nature, but, well, you've never actually looked at the evidence, have you, Willie? Or if you have, it's impossible for you to accept because of certain beliefs. And we all know that the definition of "belief" is accepting something to be true without proof. So the whole concept of evidence, proof or truth, is not exactly in your arsenal when it comes to formulating informed opinions or discerning what's fact.
The guy literally states, “it’s his opinion, it’s fine if you don’t like his opinion, and he’s not forcing it on anyone”, and yet he’s being treated like he’s advocating for a mob to hunt down gays (and anyone who disagrees with him) and burn them at the stake.
I don’t necessarily agree with his opinions, but come on, are different views and opinions no longer allowed? If so, it’s not much of a forum.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

WillieW wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:09 pm In my opinion unnatural sex like males on males anal sex and sex with animals is being 'punished' if you like , by mother nature. As these kinds of unnatural intercourse become more accepted in society , even encouraged , these kinds of disease will continue to plague humanity.
You're right insofar as our actions are making pandemics more likely.

Scientists have been saying for years that as we continue to encroach on the habitats of wild animals and keep animals in squalid battery farm-type situations we expose ourselves to their pathogens and make the risk of a virus jumping species and mutating much more likely. You could even say we're bringing it on ourselves by interfering with nature.

Call it God, Gaia, Mother Nature, or whatever you want. I personally think it's just a commonsense natural law like gravity, actions have consequences - if you start living in close proximity to pathogens you haven't been exposed to before, you'll probably pick up a few of them eventually.

I really doubt it has anything to do with gay people. As others here have pointed out it occurs in the animal world and some people are born with gay tendencies, it's a natural thing. IF there's some intelligent entity punishing us for unnatural behaviour though it's much more likely we're being punished for things like taking animals out of their natural environment and breeding them in tiny cages, poisoning the air, water and soil with our pollution, destroying ecosystems to build malls and car parks. Gay people (even if you do believe it's an unnatural act) don't harm anyone or anything.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Alex wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 am Obviously, many STDs spread just fine by means of the old in and out - heterosexual vaginal intercourse.
Looking at the data, we can see that MSM are much more likely to contract and transmit STDs.
In 2014, gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men accounted for 83% of primary and secondary syphilis cases where sex of sex partner was known in the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm
In 2019, MSM accounted for 69% of new HIV diagnoses in the United States.
https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview ... statistics
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:24 am
Alex wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 am Obviously, many STDs spread just fine by means of the old in and out - heterosexual vaginal intercourse.
Looking at the data, we can see that MSM are much more likely to contract and transmit STDs.
In 2014, gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men accounted for 83% of primary and secondary syphilis cases where sex of sex partner was known in the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm
In 2019, MSM accounted for 69% of new HIV diagnoses in the United States.
https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview ... statistics

There you go again with the facts and logic Big D .... When are you ever going to learn that hyperbole and assumptions are the rigueur in some parts of the interwebs .... And we shan't forget that screeching 'racist zealot & bigot' while denying someone elses beliefs .... Ah, the sweet scent of irony in the morning .... Is there anything better :ROFL:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kind of obvious i think.

Well, it's debatable what's 'natural' and what's 'unnatural' IMHO.

For instance, what's more natural? A man having protected sex with a woman, or two men having unprotected sex?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:47 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Kind of obvious i think.

The guy literally states, “it’s his opinion, it’s fine if you don’t like his opinion, and he’s not forcing it on anyone”, and yet he’s being treated like he’s advocating for a mob to hunt down gays (and anyone who disagrees with him) and burn them at the stake.
I don’t necessarily agree with his opinions, but come on, are different views and opinions no longer allowed? If so, it’s not much of a forum.
I think calling out individuals who hold opinions such as homosexual acts being unnatural is important, so is calling out the racists or bigots and other intolerants. Personally, I don't think there's a place for this type of thought and will try to discourage it along with other prejudices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic