Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is monkeypox now in Cambodia?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Monkeypox: Recovered Nigerian for deportation from Cambodia
By Chinyere Okoroafor with Agency reports
On Aug 7, 2022
A Nigerian, Osmond Chihazirim Nzerem will be deported after recovery from the monkeypox virus, Cambodian immigration officials said on Sunday.

Nzerem, 27, will also be banned from re-entering the kingdom for three years.

He was said to have previously fled from neighboring Thailand despite a positive test result for monkey pox.

He was later arrested by Cambodian authorities in the capital Phnom Penh on July 23 and sent to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital for treatment. Nzerem, who has recovered, was discharged from the hospital on Saturday.

He is reportedly the first and only imported monkeypox case in the Southeast Asian country.
https://thenationonlineng.net/monkeypox ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Yerg wrote:My aim is not to be a jerk, but can you provide a source to support this? I mean, I'd be surprised to see HIV/AIDS is researched to a greater level than, say, cancer?
Cancer is such a wide spectrum of diseases - breast, ovarian, prostate, etc., with massive political support for each category, why not ask if HIV/AIDS is researched to a greater level than heart disease? Thanks for the straw man argument.

I only say that as a worldwide communicable disease it get the lion’s share of US funding and support and media spotlight compared to other worldwide communicable diseases. No need to look far. How many malaria drugs are there vs how many HIV drugs? Or TB drugs vs HIV drugs? How many public campaigns are there on public media about HIV awareness vs awareness of TB or malaria (or a a whole host or other communicable diseases)?

If monkeypox primarily affects gays, there will be outpouring of research and a vigorous public awareness campaign. Compare that with leprosy, scant research funding and no public awareness campaigns.

These are just my opinions.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There has been a cure for Leprosy for many years so that's not comparable. And I didn't see any straw man there, just you not being able to back up your assertion.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:54 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:03 pm Official version from the US Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

Take the following steps to prevent getting monkeypox:

Avoid close, skin-to-skin contact with people who have a rash that looks like monkeypox.
Do not touch the rash or scabs of a person with monkeypox.
Do not kiss, hug, cuddle or have sex with someone with monkeypox.
Do not share eating utensils or cups with a person with monkeypox.
Do not handle or touch the bedding, towels, or clothing of a person with monkeypox.
Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
In Central and West Africa, avoid contact with animals that can spread monkeypox virus, usually rodents and primates. Also, avoid sick or dead animals, as well as bedding or other materials they have touched.
That's a lot of ways you can catch the pox that don't involve being "banged in the cornhole".
Ironically, if you want to receive the Monkey Pox vaccine in NYC, the requirement is that you literally have to be a gay man AND be banging numerous dudes in the past 2 weeks. If you're not gay and doing that, then you can't even get a vaccine.

Is NYC spreading misinformation? As they certainly make it sound like it's a gay STD, as everyone else will be denied getting vaxxed, as it's presumably not needed by anyone else (yet).

Source: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/he ... 014%20days
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:57 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:03 pm Official version from the US Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

Avoid close, skin-to-skin contact with people who have a rash that looks like monkeypox.
Do not handle or touch the bedding, towels, or clothing of a person with monkeypox.
Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
In Central and West Africa, avoid contact with animals that can spread monkeypox virus, usually rodents and primates. Also, avoid sick or dead animals, as well as bedding or other materials they have touched.
That's a lot of ways you can catch the pox that don't involve being "banged in the cornhole".
Ironically, if you want to receive the Monkey Pox vaccine in NYC, the requirement is that you literally have to be a gay man AND be banging numerous dudes in the past 2 weeks. If you're not gay and doing that, then you can't even get a vaccine.

Is NYC spreading misinformation? As they certainly make it sound like it's a gay STD, as everyone else will be denied getting vaxxed, as it's presumably not needed by anyone else (yet).

Spreading misinformation? I don't think so but they could probably do a better job of explaining the situation to the average person.

From your link.....

"Cases in NYC are increasing, and there are likely many more cases that have not been diagnosed.

Anyone can get and spread monkeypox. The current cases are primarily spreading through sex and other intimate contact among social networks of gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (MSM); transgender people; gender-nonconforming people; and nonbinary people. People in these social circles who have multiple or anonymous sex partners are at a high risk of exposure.

If you have a new or unexpected rash or sores, contact a health care provider."

"Vaccine supply remains low. NYC is receiving a limited number of doses from the federal government, and we are making them available to New Yorkers as quickly as possible. "

I think they're only giving the vax to people in the gay community because supplies are low so they're only dosing the people most at risk. For now it's mostly still limited to the gay comunity - they get the vaxxes.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

yet again american culture wars pollute the forum
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Spreading misinformation? I don't think so but they could probably do a better job of explaining the situation to the average person.

From your link.....

"Cases in NYC are increasing, and there are likely many more cases that have not been diagnosed.

Anyone can get and spread monkeypox. The current cases are primarily spreading through sex and other intimate contact among social networks of gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (MSM); transgender people; gender-nonconforming people; and nonbinary people. People in these social circles who have multiple or anonymous sex partners are at a high risk of exposure.

"Vaccine supply remains low. NYC is receiving a limited number of doses from the federal government, and we are making them available to New Yorkers as quickly as possible. "

I think they're only giving the vax to people in the gay community because supplies are low so they're only dosing the people most at risk. For now it's mostly still limited to the gay comunity - they get the vaxxes.
I like your high lighting the bit about 'anyone can get it' :wink: ... I'm sure its unhighlighted addition there has everything to do with trying to avoid the accusation of stigmatizing the gay community .... One of the upper echelons in the untouchable pyramid .... And nothing to do with the alternate reality some are trying to peddle .... That we should be afraid, VERY afraid of MonkeyPox ....
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 pm
Random Dude wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 pm

From your link.....

I like your high lighting the bit about 'anyone can get it' :wink: ... I'm sure its unhighlighted addition there has everything to do with trying to avoid the accusation of stigmatizing the gay community .... One of the upper echelons in the untouchable pyramid .... And nothing to do with the alternate reality some are trying to peddle .... That we should be afraid, VERY afraid of MonkeyPox ....
I highlighted that in response to this sentence, which I was replying to....

"Is NYC spreading misinformation? As they certainly make it sound like it's a gay STD, as everyone else will be denied getting vaxxed, as it's presumably not needed by anyone else (yet)."

My only point was to say that I don't think misinformation was being spread, they made the point that it's not a gay disease, anyone could catch it.

I'm not saying we should be "afraid, very afraid of monkeypox". And, I'm not interested in getting into silly spats about the gay community. By getting on your high horse about "trying to avoid the accusation of stigmatizing the gay community .... One of the upper echelons in the untouchable pyramid ...." you really come across as if you have issues with gays. If you do have a problem with them that's YOUR problem, I don't give a shit.

I do think though that every time people portray this as gay disease, aside from being willfully ignorant they're leading people to believe if you're not gay you have nothing to be concerned about as far as catching or spreading it goes. A lot of people are living with HIV/AIDS now because of that same mindset.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

limited supplies, makes perfect sense to me to only test those that are in a high risk group>

why would a normal healthy heterosexual man that doesn't fuck around with hookers or druggies want the test?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:08 am
Yerg wrote:My aim is not to be a jerk, but can you provide a source to support this? I mean, I'd be surprised to see HIV/AIDS is researched to a greater level than, say, cancer?
Cancer is such a wide spectrum of diseases - breast, ovarian, prostate, etc., with massive political support for each category, why not ask if HIV/AIDS is researched to a greater level than heart disease? Thanks for the straw man argument.

I only say that as a worldwide communicable disease it get the lion’s share of US funding and support and media spotlight compared to other worldwide communicable diseases. No need to look far. How many malaria drugs are there vs how many HIV drugs? Or TB drugs vs HIV drugs? How many public campaigns are there on public media about HIV awareness vs awareness of TB or malaria (or a a whole host or other communicable diseases)?

If monkeypox primarily affects gays, there will be outpouring of research and a vigorous public awareness campaign. Compare that with leprosy, scant research funding and no public awareness campaigns.

These are just my opinions.
Still no credible sources...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic