Living in Bangkok on $1750 a Month

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Living in Bangkok on $1750 a Month

Post by cabron »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:44 am We lived very comfortable in Phuket on less than $1,200/month, 1 kms to the beach with a car, 2 motorcycles, a bicycle and 2 cats
Only ate out 2x/week and didn't frequent bars and such
Phuket is not Bangkok.
Boredom is like a shroud
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:22 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:44 am We lived very comfortable in Phuket on less than $1,200/month, 1 kms to the beach with a car, 2 motorcycles, a bicycle and 2 cats
How does that compare to Kep?
good question and does this include rent?
Two people living in thier own townhouse (no rent) in the suburbs of Sydney Australia rates,strata,water,gas,electricity $500 AUD per month then you have internet and food entertainment. Syndey looking pretty cheap if you dont eat out and don't rent.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

well I cant get the same quality of goods here i got in Phuket nor lots of things we got there;
Gasoline, cooking gas, soda water, most grocery items from supermarkets in Kampot is more, but thats understandable as its all imported, electricity, 20 lt bottles of water, appliances, all cost more, street food & local restaurants here costs more and sucks

rent in Phuket was $320 for a 2 bedroom house, 2 aircons, 1kms to the beach
here we are paying $425 /month off a mortgage
we live on about the same here but dont eat/live as well
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:30 am
well I cant get the same quality of goods here i got in Phuket nor lots of things we got there;
Gasoline, cooking gas, soda water, most grocery items from supermarkets in Kampot is more, but thats understandable as its all imported, electricity, 20 lt bottles of water, appliances, all cost more, street food & local restaurants here costs more and sucks

rent in Phuket was $320 for a 2 bedroom house, 2 aircons, 1kms to the beach
here we are paying $425 /month off a mortgage
we live on about the same here but dont eat/live as well
So that raises another question... Why Kep instead of Phuket?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

1) How does he qualify for a work visa ?
2) How does he manage to spend 3,500 baht in electric in a 35 sqm shoebox ?
3) Is a solitary " working " life in such a confined environment sustainable or healthy in the long-term ?

Seems like he's tagging along on Mummy and Daddy's coat tails living off a glorified allowance.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:29 pm 1) How does he qualify for a work visa ?
2) How does he manage to spend 3,500 baht in electric in a 35 sqm shoebox ?
3) Is a solitary " working " life in such a confined environment sustainable or healthy in the long-term ?

Seems like he's tagging along on Mummy and Daddy's coat tails living off a glorified allowance.
1) He works for Thai company
2) If you run AC at 18c for almost 24/7
3) If you work alone in room for 4-6 hours, it still doesn't mean he work in solitary. I'm sure beats the hell out of working in a cubicle 8 hours a day in Toronto.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The nice thing about living in Bangkok, in my opinion and from my experience, is that you can live there on pretty much any amount. If funds are limited or if you simply prefer a frugal lifestyle, you can live a lot better there than in most other places. If money isn't an issue, the sky is the limit, as there's so much on offer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic