Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Post by Phnom Krom »

I have used ABA for a while now. Good service IMO, however...
I got acclimated with the $6 fee for credit card withdrawals, but now, with a new debit card, they want $8. Have they increased even more or is it a debit card thing? Or perhaps a scaling fee based on amount (500$ in this case)?

Any insights welcome for all of us to know the current rates at ABA and perhaps other banks. What banks have the best bend over for your money fees?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Phnom Krom wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:03 pm I have used ABA for a while now. Good service IMO, however...
I got acclimated with the $6 fee for credit card withdrawals, but now, with a new debit card, they want $8. Have they increased even more or is it a debit card thing? Or perhaps a scaling fee based on amount (500$ in this case)?

Any insights welcome for all of us to know the current rates at ABA and perhaps other banks. What banks have the best bend over for your money fees?
Is this using ABA to withdraw using a foreign card?

As I don't pay $8 to withdraw cash using my ABA debit
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Phnom Krom wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:03 pm I have used ABA for a while now. Good service IMO, however...

Like @Jerry Atrick I don't pay a fee when using my ABA card (MC) at an ABA ATM.

When using my foreign debit card at an ABA ATM, I pay $8 for withdrawals (and have so for at least 2 years).
(I remember many years ago it was $5.)
As to fees when using my ABA card to draw cash outside of Cambodia, I don't know.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

Apologies if not clear. I am refering to foreign credit and debit cards used here at ABA.
Also, I don't have an ABA card as I use e-cash for withdrawals.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bred bank only $4 with foreign debit cards. Plus I found they have a higher withdrawal limit compared to some other banks.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm Bred bank only $4 with foreign debit cards. Plus I found they have a higher withdrawal limit compared to some other banks.
Good to know. ABA used to allow me to withdraw $800 in one transaction with a foreign debit card. The last time the max was $500 at a fee of $8.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Phnom Krom wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:26 pm Apologies if not clear. I am refering to foreign credit and debit cards used here at ABA.
Also, I don't have an ABA card as I use e-cash for withdrawals.
Acleda charge $5 for $500 withdrawals on foreign cards (debit & credit)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Time to open an account and transfer $$ from o/s into your account.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Aba charges a small fee for each e-cash transaction, also. Better to get a visa debit from them.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm Bred bank only $4 with foreign debit cards. Plus I found they have a higher withdrawal limit compared to some other banks.
The low fee and high limit sound good. Do you happen to know if Bred Bank still stocks smaller ($10 and $20) dollar bills in their ATMs? Withdrawing say $790 beats $800 in my book, as I don't have to break money down or change to riel right away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic