Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Post by Kammekor »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:06 am
kampuchea9999 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:56 am
Spigzy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:28 pm Likewise if your bank ATM is close enough and cheaper that's cool, but again there are some who will travel out of their way, paying a tuk-tuk $4 to save $4 on a bank fee, seems odd to me to have such a hang up
Isn't it a good thing to pay $4 to Bred plus the other $4 to a local driver rather than all $8 to ABA?
I know some people don't have time but I don't mind going a bit out of my way if it benefits a local guy rather than an multinational bank.

Even if one isn't bothered about supporting locals, at least avoiding expensive companies like ABA helps discourage rising fees.
If you are not on holidays and live here, ABA is the way to go. If you are here on holiday and worrying about $4 then, well....maybe international holidays aren't for you.
Good luck looking for an ABA ATM in Koh Nheak (Mondulkiri)...

ABA is king in the main centers, but ACLEDA rules beyond those areas.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I am forever getting 'Fees and Charges' taken from my ABA account with absolutely no indication not reference as to what they refer to. Even if you download the PDF for the transaction, it has no reference to what it refers to.

I just transferred $350 from ABA to Acleda via Bakong and suddenly a $3 'Fees and Charges' was deducted along with it. I don't remember being charged that much for s small transfer like that, and I know for sure that if it were the other way, (Acelda to ABA) the fee would have been no more than $0.50. But I don't know know if that $3 'Fees and Charges' was a direct result of the transaction, or something completely different, because it doesn't say. Anywhere.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I have several times looked at my account only to find money has been taken for some obscure reason that doesn't give any reason as to what it actually refers to.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Seems to me ABA is nearly a 'must have' for an expat given nearly everybody has an account with them meaning easy ppl to ppl to business transfers, ATMs everywhere and nearly every shop has the scanner code etc.

Having said that, ABA have thereby established a nice monopoly for themselves which means they've got customer stickiness. But there have been niggly increasing costs with them. The $8 atm fee for foreign cards, abolishing the web browser application, there fixed term and savings account rates I found are not as good as Acleda last I looked and when I did some Wise transfers some time ago there intermediary bank where stinging me with $55 fee whereas Acleda was just $10. That and I've found the service at a branch often not as good as Acleda.
Ad Infinitum
Tourist

Post by Ad Infinitum »

Evening all...

Pretty new with my WISE & ABA Debit Account Set up...

What is the best way to transfer from WISE to ABA account ?, is there a $200 a month limit with extra charges from WISE ? I do have all the T & C's just thought I'd put it out here to ask others in similar situations..

Anyone transferred over from WISE to ABA would be interesting to hear the full fee's ?? Surely its not cheaper to take out of the A.T.M. & then deposit ??
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ad Infinitum wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:58 pm Evening all...

Pretty new with my WISE & ABA Debit Account Set up...

What is the best way to transfer from WISE to ABA account ?, is there a $200 a month limit with extra charges from WISE ? I do have all the T & C's just thought I'd put it out here to ask others in similar situations..

Anyone transferred over from WISE to ABA would be interesting to hear the full fee's ?? Surely its not cheaper to take out of the A.T.M. & then deposit ??
There's a whole thread about it.

business-and-finance/transferwise-and-a ... aba%20wise
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:05 am I am forever getting 'Fees and Charges' taken from my ABA account with absolutely no indication not reference as to what they refer to. Even if you download the PDF for the transaction, it has no reference to what it refers to.

I just transferred $350 from ABA to Acleda via Bakong and suddenly a $3 'Fees and Charges' was deducted along with it. I don't remember being charged that much for s small transfer like that, and I know for sure that if it were the other way, (Acelda to ABA) the fee would have been no more than $0.50. But I don't know know if that $3 'Fees and Charges' was a direct result of the transaction, or something completely different, because it doesn't say. Anywhere.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I have several times looked at my account only to find money has been taken for some obscure reason that doesn't give any reason as to what it actually refers to.
Open the account on your app, tap on the transaction that says "Fees and Charges", and it tells you what the fees and charges were for, if it doesn't specify, then it is probably just one of your monthly or annual fees ie. there is an annual $5 fee for the Classic Visa Debit Card . Fees & charges are all listed in the terms and conditions for accounts and cards on the ABA website. Domestic Outward Transfers to a non-ABA account are 0.05% (min. USD 5), or 0.05% (min. 12,000 KHR) via the mobile app, have been for as long as I can remember.
BuckDefiant
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BuckDefiant »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:00 pm of course they take some commision on it, if getting 1100 US they charge me 1123 which is 4 US atm-fee and 19 for them, totaly about 2% but they take as good as nothing on the exchange when i move my euros to US in their sub-account. All together, the only better way to exchange euros, is bring cash, but officially you cant take more then 10.000 even i ve knever been checked about that. And if you have a khmer bank-account it would be even better, but as i dont live in KOW its a fucking pain in de ass to open an account i heared. And even with an account, it can make trouble, my belgian friend sended in november 5000 to his account and another 5000 to his wifes account, his account was doen and his wifes account didnt receive nothing, the official explanations was (from canadian bank) that the money was send back to belgium because her account was "sleeping" because not using it for long time. The money was blocked in Frankfurt, he came back in march to Belgium and still no sign from the money. He got it beck in may, after 6 months, but ofcourse wit a lot of costs !!
I use SWIFT transfers into my ACLEDA account all the time and cost wise it beats any other method, even with the ridiculous 'intermediate bank fee'. I only use my foreign cards in emergency cases because the fees are insane these days and the rate I get is 2-3% lower than the SWIFT transfer rate.

You have to be really precise though in giving the correct numbers, and I once had my inbound transfer blocked at a US intermediary bank because the 'date of birth' of the receiver was missing in the description. Ever since I include the letter DOB with some numbers and it's fine. Generally the money is in within hours, but if it's not there within 24 hours contact your home bank and let let them trace the money. The will be able to tell you exactly where it is and if something is wrong they can solve it, or retrace the money within hours.
>> and cost wise it beats any other method,

Beg to differ. SWIFT normally $35-$40, alternative is...

MoneyGram App debit against US Bank -> Myself/Cambodia -> ABA App | Collect International Transfer directly into ABA account : Total Cost $4.99 up to ~$7,500USD, catch is it takes 4-5 business days, but since I'm reloading my KH account don't sweat it. Working like clockwork for >2 years. Yeah!
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:37 pm I will sit & wait for the laughable "use Crypto!!" brigade to turn up! :D
P2P straight into your ABA account bypassing the international deposit fees! 👌🏻 The way forward. 🙏🏻
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BuckDefiant wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:17 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:00 pm of course they take some commision on it, if getting 1100 US they charge me 1123 which is 4 US atm-fee and 19 for them, totaly about 2% but they take as good as nothing on the exchange when i move my euros to US in their sub-account. All together, the only better way to exchange euros, is bring cash, but officially you cant take more then 10.000 even i ve knever been checked about that. And if you have a khmer bank-account it would be even better, but as i dont live in KOW its a fucking pain in de ass to open an account i heared. And even with an account, it can make trouble, my belgian friend sended in november 5000 to his account and another 5000 to his wifes account, his account was doen and his wifes account didnt receive nothing, the official explanations was (from canadian bank) that the money was send back to belgium because her account was "sleeping" because not using it for long time. The money was blocked in Frankfurt, he came back in march to Belgium and still no sign from the money. He got it beck in may, after 6 months, but ofcourse wit a lot of costs !!
I use SWIFT transfers into my ACLEDA account all the time and cost wise it beats any other method, even with the ridiculous 'intermediate bank fee'. I only use my foreign cards in emergency cases because the fees are insane these days and the rate I get is 2-3% lower than the SWIFT transfer rate.

You have to be really precise though in giving the correct numbers, and I once had my inbound transfer blocked at a US intermediary bank because the 'date of birth' of the receiver was missing in the description. Ever since I include the letter DOB with some numbers and it's fine. Generally the money is in within hours, but if it's not there within 24 hours contact your home bank and let let them trace the money. The will be able to tell you exactly where it is and if something is wrong they can solve it, or retrace the money within hours.
>> and cost wise it beats any other method,

Beg to differ. SWIFT normally $35-$40, alternative is...

MoneyGram App debit against US Bank -> Myself/Cambodia -> ABA App | Collect International Transfer directly into ABA account : Total Cost $4.99 up to ~$7,500USD, catch is it takes 4-5 business days, but since I'm reloading my KH account don't sweat it. Working like clockwork for >2 years. Yeah!
I was referring to transfers from the EUR zone. Will look into MoneyGram, will be interesting what they have on offer. Transaction costs are only part of the cost in my case, exchange rate is also a big issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic