Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Bank fees. Is ABA taking the piss or are they all?

Post by Bongmab69 »

I could witdraw with my WISE-card in january 1100 US and also 1090 US i tried for the same reason, was no problem. Always 4 US ATM-costs. Probably now i could take less because the dollar went down compared with the euro, and my card had a euro-limit,
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:54 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm Bred bank only $4 with foreign debit cards. Plus I found they have a higher withdrawal limit compared to some other banks.
The low fee and high limit sound good. Do you happen to know if Bred Bank still stocks smaller ($10 and $20) dollar bills in their ATMs? Withdrawing say $790 beats $800 in my book, as I don't have to break money down or change to riel right away.
Yes, it does. The particular debit card from Australia I use allows me to withdraw $A2000 which, depending on the exchange rate, means I withdraw $US1390, $US1380 et al or $1290. Yep, $10s and $20s very handy.

Just on the withdrawal limit.. It depends on not only the bank ATM in Cambodia that you withdraw from but also, the limit on the particular foreign bank your debit card belongs to. I have 3 debit cards from Australia and as I recall I've asked/set all 3 with the maximum limit. So the card above lets me do that at Bred, yet, the other 2 only allow a lessor amount at Bred (from memory about $US800-1000). Other non Bred banks can be as low as $US500. Before Bred, I used to withdraw from UCB bank on St 130 which was $US1000 and $5 fee at the time.

By the way, Bred bank office is on Norodom just south of St 144 next to the big Maybank tower. They also have an ATM on Riverside near Croisette next to the ABA 24 hr place however I always prefer to do it at the Branch in the event the machine eats my card.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

Thanks for the replies. I will give Bred a shot and possibly Acleda. I really like ABA but the fee for cards just seems OTT.

Why such high fees I wonder. How much does a bank have to pay to use the international withdrawal system anyway?

I miss the days of zero fee from Canadia.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Vattanac Bank ATMs are also $4 for Mastercard. Not many branch ATMs about, you're more likely to find one in a mini mart.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:03 am
Alex wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:54 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm Bred bank only $4 with foreign debit cards. Plus I found they have a higher withdrawal limit compared to some other banks.
The low fee and high limit sound good. Do you happen to know if Bred Bank still stocks smaller ($10 and $20) dollar bills in their ATMs? Withdrawing say $790 beats $800 in my book, as I don't have to break money down or change to riel right away.
Yes, it does. The particular debit card from Australia I use allows me to withdraw $A2000 which, depending on the exchange rate, means I withdraw $US1390, $US1380 et al or $1290. Yep, $10s and $20s very handy.

Just on the withdrawal limit.. It depends on not only the bank ATM in Cambodia that you withdraw from but also, the limit on the particular foreign bank your debit card belongs to. I have 3 debit cards from Australia and as I recall I've asked/set all 3 with the maximum limit. So the card above lets me do that at Bred, yet, the other 2 only allow a lessor amount at Bred (from memory about $US800-1000). Other non Bred banks can be as low as $US500. Before Bred, I used to withdraw from UCB bank on St 130 which was $US1000 and $5 fee at the time.

By the way, Bred bank office is on Norodom just south of St 144 next to the big Maybank tower. They also have an ATM on Riverside near Croisette next to the ABA 24 hr place however I always prefer to do it at the Branch in the event the machine eats my card.
Great information, much appreciated!

Just had a go at a Bred ATM (St 178 nearby Frangipani Hotel) and it worked great. My ATM card limit isn't that high, but being able to pull a few hundred more and still pay a lower fee is nice.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:25 pm I could witdraw with my WISE-card in january 1100 US and also 1090 US i tried for the same reason, was no problem. Always 4 US ATM-costs. Probably now i could take less because the dollar went down compared with the euro, and my card had a euro-limit,
I was thinking of using my Wise card here for withdrawing cash until I read that I can only withdraw £200 (or equivalent) per month free of charge, after that they charge a £0.50 per transaction AND 1.75% of anything above £200. WTF is that about?

You should check what they charge you as their charges vary from country to country.

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

of course they take some commision on it, if getting 1100 US they charge me 1123 which is 4 US atm-fee and 19 for them, totaly about 2% but they take as good as nothing on the exchange when i move my euros to US in their sub-account. All together, the only better way to exchange euros, is bring cash, but officially you cant take more then 10.000 even i ve knever been checked about that. And if you have a khmer bank-account it would be even better, but as i dont live in KOW its a fucking pain in de ass to open an account i heared. And even with an account, it can make trouble, my belgian friend sended in november 5000 to his account and another 5000 to his wifes account, his account was doen and his wifes account didnt receive nothing, the official explanations was (from canadian bank) that the money was send back to belgium because her account was "sleeping" because not using it for long time. The money was blocked in Frankfurt, he came back in march to Belgium and still no sign from the money. He got it beck in may, after 6 months, but ofcourse wit a lot of costs !!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Krom wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:04 am Thanks for the replies. I will give Bred a shot and possibly Acleda. I really like ABA but the fee for cards just seems OTT.

Why such high fees I wonder. How much does a bank have to pay to use the international withdrawal system anyway?

I miss the days of zero fee from Canadia.
That's been a while....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:00 pm of course they take some commision on it, if getting 1100 US they charge me 1123 which is 4 US atm-fee and 19 for them, totaly about 2% but they take as good as nothing on the exchange when i move my euros to US in their sub-account. All together, the only better way to exchange euros, is bring cash, but officially you cant take more then 10.000 even i ve knever been checked about that. And if you have a khmer bank-account it would be even better, but as i dont live in KOW its a fucking pain in de ass to open an account i heared. And even with an account, it can make trouble, my belgian friend sended in november 5000 to his account and another 5000 to his wifes account, his account was doen and his wifes account didnt receive nothing, the official explanations was (from canadian bank) that the money was send back to belgium because her account was "sleeping" because not using it for long time. The money was blocked in Frankfurt, he came back in march to Belgium and still no sign from the money. He got it beck in may, after 6 months, but ofcourse wit a lot of costs !!
I use SWIFT transfers into my ACLEDA account all the time and cost wise it beats any other method, even with the ridiculous 'intermediate bank fee'. I only use my foreign cards in emergency cases because the fees are insane these days and the rate I get is 2-3% lower than the SWIFT transfer rate.

You have to be really precise though in giving the correct numbers, and I once had my inbound transfer blocked at a US intermediary bank because the 'date of birth' of the receiver was missing in the description. Ever since I include the letter DOB with some numbers and it's fine. Generally the money is in within hours, but if it's not there within 24 hours contact your home bank and let let them trace the money. The will be able to tell you exactly where it is and if something is wrong they can solve it, or retrace the money within hours.
kampuchea9999
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by kampuchea9999 »

ABA have been taking the piss more and more over the last few years. Increasing existing fees and adding new fees for common/essential services.

My ABA atm card recently expired ad I found they now charge an annual fee just for an ATM card.
I noticed money missing from my savings account and discovered they'd been frequently charging a $10 account dormancy fee. (This is a savings account to store money in long term, not a current account for day-to day use!)
$8 fee to withdraw with foreign ATM card while most banks charge $4-5 (free service in most countries)
Fees to transfer money in (free in most countries)
All kinds of other new or increased fees for common transactions

ABA's service has fallen badly in quality over the years too. Seems now they've become the main player they're using it to their advantage and screwing over customers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic