Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Have you been a victim of crime in Cambodia or Southeast Asia?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 46
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I think it was a bar conversation when someone said something to the effect of "Live here long enough and something will happen to you".

I've been relatively lucky apart from catching a local (Indonesian) trying to get into the house I was renting in Lombok. Other than that there's been some petty stuff like a phone or pair of sunglasses getting lifted from me, but nothing for quite a few years now (touch wood).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

Post by phuketrichard »

Had passport stolen, once
Had house, (S) broken into, 3x
Been attacked, once
Been pickpocketed by a 12 year old in the Philippines, once
nothing thou on the past 25 years
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Over the years I've had a car stolen, my work tools stolen, a wallet picked out of my pocket and my apartment broken into and money stolen while I was sleeping - that last one scared the shit out of me.

I've been lucky too though. I've caught pickpockets trying to get my wallet a couple of times and caught a guy eyeing up my MP3 player in the gym once not realising I was standing there watching him.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

have had an unsuccessful attempt to snatch my phone from my hand on the street (I was standing well back on a wide pavement but they had a good go)
also had an unsuccessful attempt to grab my gym bag off my shoulder as I crossed a road at a t intersection. bag was tucked under my arm furthest from street - but obviously when crossing, traffic can come from either direction.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

We had a new motorbike stolen several years ago.

My wife had the money from a piggy bank stolen several years ago also - finally listened to me that the actual bank was the place to keep money. So lesson learned.

But the one thing that bothers me the most is someone somehow stole my favorite suit (the jacket - left the pants). Best damn suit I ever owned - fit just right and I actually looked semi-decent in it. It was in our home in my wife's home province that her mom lives in (so I could travel there and attend weddings and not need to carry suit). Bastards!!!!!!

Last several years there isn't anything major that I recall.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

TWY wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:55 pm
My wife had the money from a piggy bank stolen several years ago also - finally listened to me that the actual bank was the place to keep money. So lesson learned.
An ex Asian girlfriend held around $5000 worth of gold in her house in a small wooden box she kept with other boxes in her bedroom. She never trusted banks, or anyone for that matter, and refused to hold the gold anywhere else. Yup, someone broke in one day and stole it.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I think the poll should have options like

"Yes 1-3 times"
"Yes 4-6 times"
"Yes 7 plus times"
etc.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

forgot, the other day at kep beach, parked my bike and was siting apart from it an watched , most have been a 8 year old, sit down an eye my little mileage computer on the handlebars>
he than slid it off its mount it an put it in his pocket, i walked over, grabbed him and took it back than pushed him to the ground>
much to the amusement of the khmers standing around watching
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Live anywhere long enough and something will happen to you.

Killed, with kindness.
Had my heart stolen multiple times.
Ass pinched.
Robbed of my innocence.
Served warm beer.

The first time was shame on them, since then, it's on me and I consider it tax. Fortunately, stupidity is not a crime.

If it's small (that was edited from minor), don't sweat the petty things, and to avoid it happening in the first place, don't pet the sweaty things.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

TWY wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:55 pm My wife had the money from a piggy bank stolen several years ago also - finally listened to me that the actual bank was the place to keep money. So lesson learned.
Was the lesson "never do an I-told-you-so to your wife, after the event"?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic