Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Have you been a victim of crime in Cambodia or Southeast Asia?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 46
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

Post by Gazzy »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:58 pm 10 years in Indonesia, nothing.

3 years in Kow, i've been thrown down my scooter while commuting by two thugs on another scooter, scratches & bruises, wasn't hit by the following vehicle.
One week after, got bumped from behind by a car on my scooter, scratches & bruises again, wasn't hit by following vehicle again. Same place both times, close to roundabout National 4 direction PPEZ. Both vehicles ran away.

I thought it could have been work-related, but it didn't make much sense. Also, i'm hard to follow on a 2-wheeler, gotta be pretty fast and confident to try to catch me like that.
Yup, 15 years in Indonesia, nothing.

Cambodia, dodging death everyday.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Living on the edge there. :twisted:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Wallet stolen in Malaysia once, back in 2007. Nothing since. I'm reluctant to vote "Yes" albeit technically correct, not least because nothing bad has ever happened to me in Cambodia.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Got burgled 3 times in Hanoi back in 1997. Quite new to Vietnam and didn’t know how things worked. Only found afterwards I could have gotten my stuff back if I had paid the coppers. Also got robbed in Kenya a few years later. Birding at my mom’s place, I got jumped by two guys with Pangas, kind of machete. They were high as kites and pissed off because I did not have money.They took my bins and flip flops. Bins were worth over 2 grand and I figure they flogged them to some lucky tourist for 20 bucks. Closest I ever came to getting killed. About 6 years ago I got pickpocketed in Cape Town by one of those dancing guys (apparently a thing that comes from Europe where a guy will grab you and pretend to dance whilst emptying your pockets) at a festival. I had just arrived and had USD 2,000 in my pocket. Expensive concert.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I just realized the thread isn't restricted to Cambodia or asia.
Damn, those other countries i didn't mention might fuck my cute little statistics up.

Intimidation a gunpoint in London when at work (Chelsea - Parking attendant on city's streets)
Burglary in London - Finsbury Park (well, my things stolen when sharing a flat with a cocaine dealer - which business i discovered about only afterwise )
Thievery at gunpoint (France, in my town)
ID stolen in Germany twice, one which had me in a pickle with the police as the thief was quite a baddy, wanted fugitive too, and used my name in shit stuff...

I guess europe is more criminal to me ^^
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

@hanno what are bins?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

violet wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:18 am @hanno what are bins?
Binoculars.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

hanno wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:14 am
Binoculars.
And here was me thinking you had $2000 trash cans. :facepalm:
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

I fell victim to crime way more often than i care to remember.
Usually due to my drunken idiocy, so i can't really blame the mean world & everybody in it that is out to get me.

No, i blame aliens. If you knew what i know...

Anyways, here's a funny one & a scary one:

PhnomPenh. After first night out came back to my hotel room to find that my zen blade was gone, (Android phone). Managed to persuade the hotel manager to let me download 12hrs of CCTV footage, after a lot of no cannot, sorry not allow etc.
12hrs make for a long boring story. To cut it short, it was the guy showing me into the room.
Went back to the manager with the snippet, said: see? That's the guy leaving the room with my phone in his hand!
Manager: It's too grainy, he has phone just like that.
Me: This is my phucking phone man!
Manager: Even if it were, he's a cousin of the owner, so there's really nothing much we can do about.

Other story of the NDE kind.
Was attacked by a crack gang in lisbon. Getting choked on the pavement between parked cars, watching at a tire from under the chassis, thinking: this is how it all ends now? Fucking pathetic!
Before i passed out. Came to soon after with the gang gone & my lovely Nokia 8310 but not my wallet! There's a reason for that which i'd rather not divulge.

Edit:
Forgot the gotten away story:
Once passed out at Sisowath 3AM or so. Woke up a couple o hrs later totally unfleeced!
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

Zeiss-Leica
The final polish of the lenses is done with fluid harvested from the virgins of the palawan jungle.
That's why they are so expensive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic