Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Have you been a victim of crime in Cambodia or Southeast Asia?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 46
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Have you been a victim of crime? Poll.

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:42 pm I think the poll should have options like

"Yes 1-3 times"
"Yes 4-6 times"
"Yes 7 plus times"
etc.
Stole my words.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Moto at gunpoint in PP in 1996. Cash from locked drawer in supposedly secure room in my OWN establishment! Inside staff job almost certainly. Somewhere around 2015 in Snooky. MP3 player by Vietnamese hooker from Martini circa 2010. My bad, let my guard down. Probably a couple others I have forgotten.

I think the poster that said it should be how many, not if, was on the right track!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I dont live in KOW but comE for many years usually staying in hotels. Never had any issues, even opposite. I think in 2016 i lost my old nokia-phone in Golden House on 136. Thaught for sure it was the girl who was with me took it, but surprisingly, weeks later i got a mail from Golden House, they found my phone in laundry. They kept it for 1.5 year and when i entered recepcion, the girl (i think daughter from the owner) knew exactly why i entered !! Happy ending. Apart from that, my dutch friend get stolen is wallet in SHV on newyears-eve on the beach, 2 girls bumped into me also and pretty sure they stole his wallet. I usually carry only a small nokia-phone and a very small wallet with some cash and an expired khmer driving-licence. What would they steel from me ??
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

No serious crime, but like everybody in this thread; yes

Bar break in in 2010 - got my PC

Skanky cashier got signet ring in a handshake - 2011

Two dipshits stole important parts of disassembled bikes in my shed - 2021

plus some unimportant petty stuff not worth dredging up
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've been taken advantage of more times than I care to count - haven't we all? - but in terms of being a victim of crime, I'm incredibly fortunate to have got to my grand old age and not had any problems whatsoever with crime at all, in any country that I've lived.

So far...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Got whacked in the head by a hooligan wearing a ring in Bangkok in 1999, and got burgled in Phnom Penh in 2007 when I stupidly left my balcony door open. Nothing other than that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

10 years in Indonesia, nothing.

3 years in Kow, i've been thrown down my scooter while commuting by two thugs on another scooter, scratches & bruises, wasn't hit by the following vehicle.
One week after, got bumped from behind by a car on my scooter, scratches & bruises again, wasn't hit by following vehicle again. Same place both times, close to roundabout National 4 direction PPEZ. Both vehicles ran away.

I thought it could have been work-related, but it didn't make much sense. Also, i'm hard to follow on a 2-wheeler, gotta be pretty fast and confident to try to catch me like that.
pcn
Tourist
Australia

Post by pcn »

Yes - in a large Phnom Penh clothes market my wife's mobile phone was stolen from her bag (possibly while I was holding it)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I don't consider myself a victim of crime because all the incidents over the years were of my own making. Lost substantial amounts through my young carelessness and wild ways. I did have one particularly violent encounter and I thought it was 50/50. In all honesty if you behave yourself and have the street smarts I think you're a bit unlucky if you lose out.

Indoors before it gets dark now, you live and learn.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

Motorcycle, bicycle, phone
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic