I've gone electric

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I've gone electric

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:39 pm Just using a Honda Cub 50 as an example, the fuel economy is roughly 70 km per litre. (Honda.jp claims 100 km/l plus but I call bullshit on that too)
To be honest, those numbers / claims rock my world. I have owned several bikes in Cambodia, all bought new. Yamaha Spark, Honda Wave, Yamaha XTZ125. None of them ever were nor currently are able to squeeze more than 35 km's out of a liter of fuel, the best fuel economics came from the largest engine, the 5 speed 125cc XTZ125. It could do 35 km's on a liter easily even on shorter rides.

I struggle to squeeze more than 30 km out of the Wave, since new. Even on long distance rides. And no, I'm no speeder. Hardly even go faster than 45 km/h.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 am
SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:39 pm Just using a Honda Cub 50 as an example, the fuel economy is roughly 70 km per litre. (Honda.jp claims 100 km/l plus but I call bullshit on that too)
To be honest, those numbers / claims rock my world. I have owned several bikes in Cambodia, all bought new. Yamaha Spark, Honda Wave, Yamaha XTZ125. None of them ever were nor currently are able to squeeze more than 35 km's out of a liter of fuel, the best fuel economics came from the largest engine, the 5 speed 125cc XTZ125. It could do 35 km's on a liter easily even on shorter rides.

I struggle to squeeze more than 30 km out of the Wave, since new. Even on long distance rides. And no, I'm no speeder. Hardly even go faster than 45 km/h.
That's just my personal lifetime average fuel economy on my stock C50s, (usually ranged from 67-75 km/l, average speed around 35-40 kph with a 14/36 sprocket setup).

C70s and 90s were in the high 60s, Daelim 100 and my PCX 125 would do high 50s. I also had a Japanese market YBR125 (same engine as the XTZ, and that would average around 45).

Worst bike I had was my Thai built Scoopy 110 which never broke 35 unless tire pressures were super high and I rode at 30 kph the whole time, even when it was new.

Unsure of why, but I know many people here who claim the same as you, never getting more than 40 km/l even on newer bikes.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just read the whole thread not convinced electric is a savings when comparing like for like, but what I do know is the opp has a chip on his shoulder about old fokes having an opinion.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am For now, except for just driving around town, electric motorcycles are a novelty>
until there are charging stations at most gas stations, thats the way it will remain for ages>
Not to mention, i can fil up my motorcycle in 2 minutes, while an electric bike takes 6+ hours minimum.

They took those bikes up north but what they dont tell ya is they had a flat bed semi trailer with their own generator on it for charging :-)
But not necessary!
My new electric vehicle Build quality is first class, 10" wheels, disc brakes front and rear.

The best thing about the vehicle of this kind, although quoted "good for only around town". But the exception of which town, being able to fold down and put on any bus or train. Then the 3 hour charge in the hotel room.

The EMOVE CRUISER 52V 1600W DUAL SUSPENSION Scooter is not one of the cheapest options on the market today, but it has all the features you would find in some of the best options. It might be heavy, but its durability makes up for it. We would recommend the scooter for its durability and overall construction.

Specifications:
Weight Capacity: 352-pounds
Top Speed: 40 MPH
Range: 62-miles
Motor: 1600-watts

EMOVE Cruiser 52V 1600W Dual Suspension - Long Range Electric Scooter

$1,499.00

I bought mine second hand from KiNG Scooter Cambodia
https://www.google.com/maps/place/KiNG+ ... 04.9420456

Although I was told the speed was @ 35km with a matching distance and 3 hour charge time, services will be done by the shop.
The price was $225 with free helmet and lock, plus Inner tubes.

Looking at the photo's its about 3/4 of the length of my Honda MSX.
It's apparently got 3 computer settings, lights and under-board led lights. :assasin:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 am

I have a Yamaha XTZ125 as well - awesome bike
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sorry andy, there is no way i would take one of those on roads here and feel safe>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:14 pm sorry andy, there is no way i would take one of those on roads here and feel safe>
And it's a scooter not a bike, slightly different.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:14 pm sorry andy, there is no way i would take one of those on roads here and feel safe>
Do you feel safe riding anything?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:32 am
Do you feel safe riding anything?
Bicycle or driving a car :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Now in Sihanoukville:
Sihanoukville - Electric cars have now been delivered to Sihanoukville for private use, and will be introduced to any customers who want to buy a gasoline-free family car or taxi.
Representatives of electric car dealers in Sihanoukville said that the official opening ceremony will take place on the morning of September 17, 2022 at the mall near the forum in Sihanoukville.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic